PDA

View Full Version : Auromar, IC 2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Moral Wiz
2008-03-19, 04:55 PM
Hist

Ok. That tears it. Now I'm suspicious of this place. If you'll excuse me, gentlemen? I'll be back shortly.

With that, Hist takes to the air, and gives this settlement a proper survey, looking everywhere for any trace of arcana.

Surveying everywhere with Detect Magic

Greymist
2008-03-19, 05:36 PM
Kjapp

The man steps forward and cranes his neck trying to look up into the sky at the flying one.

Well I have nothing to lose

"I could describe the man who locked me up if you like, by the way my name is Kjapp"

Kjapp puts a hand through the bars.

"About the thread, you'd have to experience it to understand"

Do I know the name of the person who locked me up, or a description?

Lochar
2008-03-19, 08:50 PM
Hist:
The settlement is around 4 square miles in size. Detect magic is a 60' cone. You fly at 60' a round, or 120' for a double move. How long do you think it will take you to cover 446054400 feet? My rough calculations put that at about 6200 hours to do a full inch by inch cover. What are you looking for specifically?

Kjapp:
The man was slightly shorter than you, blond hair, blue eyes. Human. Relatively strong looking, scarred left arm. Claimed to be the settlement's chief law enforcer.

Greyen
2008-03-19, 11:13 PM
Dothen

Dothen stands back and walks around the building some. He looks around the area for likely watch posts and look outs. As he moves around his hands are busy, carefully concealed to look like he's strolling with his hands behind his back. As he walks around he says to Kjapp So, Kjapp, what do you do normally?

Looking for elevated places to observe the town from.

Carefully 'fixing' the peacebonds on my silvered dagger so that a sharp pull will allow it to come out of it sheathe, with out making it look faulty.
Sleight of hand [roll0]
Use Rope [roll1]

Greymist
2008-03-20, 12:41 AM
Kjapp chuckles "You mean when not locked up on an unexplored continent?"

"I usually find work as a tracker or guide, I had come over here mostly to explore untouched roads"

He moves a hand up to his neck as if to hold onto an amulet before realising he doesn't have one.

"A side benefit of course is that I'll have an edge finding work when travel to this continent opens up more."

Moral Wiz
2008-03-20, 01:12 AM
I was thinking of checking through all main streets to start with. Double move action, 30 ft above the ground, in the center of the street, looking from side to side. If nothing reveals itself, check the unbuilt on fields. Looking for an aura of any kind.

Greyen
2008-03-20, 01:46 AM
Dothen

Well, you may have to spend a day or two in here but I think we may want to have you on your way. This place gives me the willies. To Reid and the others he says I'll be back later. I want to look around some.

Dothen begins to wander off toward the inn again. He looks into the shops and stalls genial and friendly looking out for odds and ends. Anything that may be useful or may seems out of place.

Specifically looking for a Restful Crystal from MIC (500g) for Reid and just familiarizing myself with the area around town. I want to pick up on any rumors if possible and hints of the wierdness this place displays. Keep an eye out for magic items and guild markings.

Gather Info [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Listen [roll2]

Toliudar
2008-03-20, 02:38 AM
Reid

Sense Motive [roll0] on Kjapp, to sense the veracity of his story.

Reid shrugs at Grazys as Hist takes to the air, and Dothen slips away. He turns back to the window.

My apologies, Kjapp. My name is Reid, and this is Grazys. The one who, ah, flew off is Hist, and our fourth is Dothen. I would be pleased to stand you a good meal when you are released, or before...if they don't feed you well.

And, ah, tell me. How did you come to this place? Did you pass through the forest. Did you too come through the great forest?

Greymist
2008-03-20, 07:31 AM
Kjapp

Kjapp inclines his head to Reid, "Thank you for the offer, and your names. My jailers have been feeding me, if nothing more than gruel."

"I came here alone and on foot, I had heard bad rumours before I left so I thought to avoid the forest."

Lochar
2008-03-20, 07:31 AM
Dothen:
You'll manage to mess with the peacebond well enough that it looks working while it's not. As for elevated lookout points, the tops of any roofs would work. The streets are wide and the buildings have yards between them. You can't spot any particular watchers.

Hist:

There are auras all over the town. Mostly permanent cantrips on some of the buildings, command activated open/close. There are a few other, but everything seems benign.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-20, 07:39 AM
Hist

Puzzeled, Hist returns to the group before too long.

A bit of magic, most of it opening spells, like the entrance. Nothing abnormal... Well, at least nothing big.

Well, nothing big and visable. But I still don't like it. Somthing is wrong here. Appart from anything else, the accent.... Well, if they are settlers, how have they managed to generate a destinctive accent so quickly?

Greyen
2008-03-20, 08:09 AM
Dothen

Dothen is on a full wander around town, examining anything that is for sale or trade. Plans forming and what not, he greets everyone he meet cheerfully and puts on his 'best face' for the area.

(OOC- Speaking of faces Dothen will be wearing his human guise, a scarred almost middle aged veteran with a facial similar scar to Dothen's. He's too paranoid to walk around as himself in a foreign town.)

He is also careful of not attracting too much attention, fading into shadows and watching his back and the goings on around town as he goes. If he can find the local gossip spot he will listen in to the hubub unseen from a nearby shadow.

If I can retry a gather info - [roll0] - Whoot Nat 20!

Spot - [roll1]
Listen - [roll2]

Hide [roll3]
Move Silently [roll4] 2 in 1 post -excellent.

Lochar
2008-03-20, 08:30 AM
Dothen:
Oddly enough, minus the unknown accent, the town is about what you would expect.

1: You will be able to find and procure a Restful Crystal.
2: What type of info specifically are you looking for?

GimliFett
2008-03-20, 09:05 AM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys takes Kjapp's hand and shakes it briefly. "Well met! So why strike out on yer own? Why not hook up with some o' the folks ya came over with on the ship?"

RESERVED FOR HIST's RETURN:The binder nods at Hist's return and report. "Not surprisin', really. I felt The One's presence like walkin' through a spiderweb when we first entered."

Moral Wiz
2008-03-20, 09:10 AM
Hist

Somewhat later

The One's....

Hist is lost for words at the revelation. It takes him a few seconds to recover, at which he manages a half smiler

Well, that's a start on the search. And a possiable explination for odd behaviour. Such as dream visitations.

Hmm.... If our friend here has indeed been experiancing odd dreams... well, it seems likely to be tighed to the curse somehow. I mean, the one thing we know... Well, if we take his word that he has done nothing else wrong, we might assume that the settlers ....

He trails off.
[roll0] check to find a mage who can enchant armour. Long shot that there is one, but...

I don't believe this. But put on hold as now reacting to Grazys.

GimliFett
2008-03-20, 09:28 AM
Grazys Senneker

RESERVED FOR HIST's RETURN:Grazys turns back to Hist. "If I'm readin' tha innkeep aright, most're as normal as anyone else, though I think he knows more'n he was lettin' on. 'Specially given tha 'if we're all here in tha mornin'' bit he laid on Reid earlier," he adds with a chuckle.

"I'm thinkin' most folk here're average folk, if a bit odd with their accents. Whoever's in charge is tha one keepin' 'em in doubt or whatever, eh?"

Greyen
2008-03-20, 11:49 AM
Dothen is looking for the hubub of the town. What is the talk that is going on. Who's doing what to whom? Is Bob the werewolf eating Nancy the vampires head? Whatever is the gist of what the problem with the town is and why is everyone spooky? If I can find anything. Gather Info (Charisma based ugh.) isn't my strong suit, so Dothen is more spying than anything.

Lochar
2008-03-20, 11:59 AM
Dothen:
The people of the town are a fairly happy sort, even with the land around them still blighted. You hear quite a lot of talk about that, and hopeful prayers that the land will eventually return to what it once was. They talk highly of the few priests that keep them supplied with food.

You do notice something odd from the one person though. Every now and then in their conversation they will be talking in the strange accent to someone, only for it to drop for a sentence or two, before it comes back up. When the accent drops, the person that was speaking had a Pyrosian accent. No one around them seemed to find it strange. The person was a short, black haired human female that if you want you can commit her appearance to memory.

GimliFett
2008-03-20, 12:09 PM
Grazys Senneker

Leaning conspiratorally towards Reid yet again, Grazys whispers to the priest. "With a vestige swap later, I can get him out without any damage ta tha place or us havin' ta go in there or anythin'. Whaddya think?"

Toliudar
2008-03-20, 12:37 PM
Reid

Reid is initially startled by Grazys comment, but covers it quickly. He leans back in to whisper.

Well, before we do anything like that, potentially antagonizing our hosts, I'd suggest we can do quite a lot to attempt his peaceable release.

Turning back to Kjapp, Reid smiles. To have travelled alone and on foot so very far, especially taking a longer route to avoid the forest - you are a brave man. A pleasure to meet you. And I too seem to recall...some kind of dreams...when I first came. It's all so indistinct now.

Anyway, I'd like to go make some inquiries about why this man is being held against his will, and without explanation. Perhaps the priests at the temple may have something to say about this. Grazys, you are welcome to join me if you wish. Kjapp, I will return with what answers I may acquire for you.

Reid trots off in search of the building with the sun-symbol on the roof, as described by Hist.

GimliFett
2008-03-20, 12:59 PM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys nods at Reid. "Right. I'll come along," he says with a grin. Turning back to Kjapp, he offers the same smile. "We'll see what we can do about freein' ya. No worries, mate. Trust us!" With that he turns and follows the Pelorite to the temple.

Lochar
2008-03-20, 01:22 PM
The building is easy to find. The two towers stand out over the town. The towers are on the east and west sides of a medium sized temple with Pelor's symbol carved into it. It is surrounded by a low fence, with the gates wide open. You can see tilled land, where someone has apparently planted something in hopes of bringing some greenery to the outside.

Greyen
2008-03-20, 02:35 PM
Dothen - still off on his lonesome, but on his way to you all.

Dothen make his purchase and makes mentla notes on the whereabouts of a specific Pyrosian girl before heading off to look for his friends again. He Stops by the inn and quickly exits again before heading off to look for his friends. He stops by the 'friendly neighborhood government funded holding faility' for a quick chat on his way.

* Dink dink dink*

A copper coin flashes in the light as Dothen raps it against the bars on Kjapp's cell. Heya, where'd my buddies go? And the easier question do you have a cup in there?

Greymist
2008-03-20, 03:24 PM
Kjapp

At the sound of Dothen tapping on the bars Kjapp looks up.

"A cup? No sorry can't help you there, I can tell you where your friends went though. The young one, Reid? He headed off to the temple to ask some questions"

Greyen
2008-03-20, 04:58 PM
Dothen

Ach, it figures they would head that aways, well no beer for you with nae cup. Here's some flavor for ya though. Dothen drops a few strips of jerky through the bars for the trapped man. Ill be seeing ya later though. With that Dothen wanders off in the direction of the temple.

Toliudar
2008-03-20, 08:36 PM
Reid

Reid practically beams at Grazys' words.

Happy to have you along.

Approaching the temple building, Reid pauses for a brief prayer of respect. He looks around with a bit of sadness at the crops struggling against the blight.

So, so much pain in this land. It is good to see that they have embraced Pelor's hope as well as his light.

Stepping carefully along the path through the tilled soil, Reid heads towards the entrance to the building itself, trying to see if it does indeed seem to be a place of worship - and whether that's what it had been in the bad old days as well.

At the doorway, he will look about for someone watching over the sanctuary. If no one is visible, he calls out.

Hello? May we enter?

GimliFett
2008-03-20, 10:17 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder follows his friend into the temple of the Sun God.

Lochar
2008-03-21, 08:01 AM
The temple looks well kept, and as you enter you can see three people in priest garb. Two of them are currently in prayer, and they are standing at long tables which are partially laden with many types of simple food and mugs of drinks.

The third one is at a desk off to one side, writing something. As you all enter, he looks up. He stands and walks over to you. "Welcome. Welcome to the temple of the Sun. I am sorry, but the prayers for the meal have not yet been completed..." he trails off, finally getting close enough to get a good look at Reid and his holy symbol.

A very large smile lights his face. "Welcome to our home. How may we assist, Raidente?"

He does speak with the strange accent as well.

Reid:
Raidente is a very old word, used a long time ago, in the church of Pelor. It denotes the Radiant Servants, and is a form of high respect. This was back when the Radiant Servants were much rarer, being as their entry into the group was a direct selection of Pelor.

The word hasn't been used much since Pelor lightened the restrictions on it, allowing the members of the Radiants to choose their own fellows from the ranks of the priests.

Toliudar
2008-03-21, 11:40 AM
Reid

Reid nods respectfully back to the old man.

I apologize for coming at an inconvenient...

Something seems to click in his head, and he turns to Grazys briefly, flashing wide eyes. He turns back to the priest.

His light and blessings on you as well, Father. I first offer my congratulations and admiration for the work you have done with this temple, and the community.

I am named Reid Den Birchcliffe, newly arrived from Pyrosia, and this is my friend, Grazys Senneker. We have travelled from Eras these last few weeks, in search of the settlers and explorers who set out some months ago now. First, may I ask if you were amongst these new arrivals?

Moral Wiz
2008-03-21, 11:51 AM
Hist

Hist had caught up with the group part way to the temple. After a brief exchange with Grazys, he headed inside

How long has it been....

He looks up at the alter of the sun

Well... why not?

Looking at Pelor's sign, Hist raised his hands, embracing the sun. Then he turns back to listen to the conversation

Lochar
2008-03-21, 12:22 PM
The priest bows his head for a moment. "We do what we can to keep the light shining brightly in this land."

His head comes up after that, and a brief smile crosses his lips. "We are all new to this land, Raidente, the settlers and I in more ways than one. Do your companions hold your full faith, that they may hear my words and not harm those who do not harm either?"

Moral Wiz
2008-03-21, 01:48 PM
Hist

The warlock bows low to the priest.

My name is Histantos Illist, good father. And I was born into the light of the faith. In more ways than one

With that, Hist walks us to the alter, slowly, reverentially, bowing his head. He makes the sign of the sun before touching the icon of Pelor. After a few second, it glows with the light of day.

The lightborn turns round, smiling at the spectacle of the Icon. His eyes glow with the light, just for a second.

My faith..?

Lochar
2008-03-21, 01:55 PM
The priest smiles at Histantos. "Pelor's light does flow through you. You are welcomed into his house as well."

The priest looks to Grazys. "Do you hold Pelor's faith in you as well, as your companions here do?"

Dothen:
Feel free to wander in whenever you like.

GimliFett
2008-03-21, 02:21 PM
Grazys Senneker

Smiling broadly, Grazys bows to the priest, imitating the warlock. Do I lie ta a priest of tha Sun God? At least evade tha question somewhat? He thinks to himself worriedly. Just tell him what ya feel, idiot.

"I grew up in a House of the Shining Knight, but I have grown fond of Pelor's light and try ta take it with me wherever I go," he replies thinking of his friendship with Reid as he speaks.

Greyen
2008-03-21, 02:23 PM
Dothen

The ratty old soldier that you all know and love wanders into the temple. He walks reverently hands behind his back up to the others. He stands behind them and says I knew I'd find you all here.

He looks around and gives a sligth bow to the priests of the order Hello. He says quietly.

Obviously he feels out of place in such a shining place. He reaches for his hat for a moment before realizing it isn't there, he quickly turns the gesture into a salute to the icon of Pelor Ol'chap.. It comes out as if he were greeting the person of Pelor himself.

Lochar
2008-03-21, 02:38 PM
"Welcome all to the house of the light." The priest says. "I am glad to see you here, walking with the light." The priest gives a half smile to Dothen. "Even those of you not quite so sincere in your actions, even though you may in your hearts."

Greyen
2008-03-21, 03:12 PM
Dothen

Well, sir, I'm not one for much of the praising and holy stuff. I been soljerin' for too long. I've prayed to prolly all of the gods in one tight spot or another. But my friend Reid here is making...how do I put this...in roads to my soul, I guess. Dothen grins weakly, faith and gods were the place for others, not him. His birth had marked him for where he would most likely spend eternity after he made the most of his life, Dothen held no remorse for that. He had done things he did not like and carried out to the best of his abilty the code of honor he had made for himself when he was young. The scars he bore spoke of many dealing which he did not care to be a part of again. One thing for sure the sun and its light were not normally his friend, a thief in the light was a thief caught.

Dothens thoughts wrestled with his self control and won, his face displayed an inner turmoil for a few moments before he regained control. Looking around him he notices the preparations for the meal Is there anything I can do to help with the foodstuffs? I do a bit of cooking now and again, or would I just get in the way?

Toliudar
2008-03-21, 05:53 PM
Reid

Reid smiles, sensing the genuine respect that each of his companions are trying to show - each in their own way, for their own reasons. There are many paths upwards, of course.

Father, I believe that these men are honourable. As you say, they do not harm those that do not harm. I ask with respect that you say to them anything you would have said to me.

I also would like to be of help while I am here, although I am not the cook our friend Dothen is. But...you mentioned the settlers AND you, and that you are new in more ways than one. I beg you to speak plainly, with the assurance that we will listen long and stay any judgements. Clearly, there is a story to be told here.

He gestures to a chair, raising an eyebrow with a request to sit, the better to listen.

Lochar
2008-03-21, 08:22 PM
The priest nods, and takes his own chair from his desk. He motions for you all to sit.

Once you do, he speaks. "Have you ever wanted something, you would fight tooth, claw, and nail to get it. Something that you were denied for the greater part of your life?"

"Until the settlers came, we had no idea how much time had passed. Then the settlers came. The strongest among us took the weakest among them. Forced them out and took their lives so they could live again. And then we knew. A thousand years, trapped, spirits yet unseen, dead, yet not able to pass on."

He looks over to the other two priests, still praying at the table, occasionally new food appearing. "Even back then, they were priests of Pelor. They were the first to approach the settlers, ask to share, instead of taking."

The head priest's body language shifts suddenly, and his voice looses the accent. "Quite strange to see, actually. You sleep in this town, and your spirit raises from your body, yet still tied to it. The spirit of a priest approached me, and asked to share in my life, so that he could live again as well." He touches the medallion on his chest. "I am a healer. I agreed, in order to heal the soul of one cursed. Unfortunately, there are still those who do not wish to share."

His body language changes again, and the accent reappears. "And once a body takes on the spirit, the only way we have been able to tell if they were taken or shared is if both can still talk. Most of the guard took the bodies and lives of the settlers, so we cannot do anything against them since they do protect the town, taking up their duties of old."

The priest pauses, allowing you all to speak if you would like.

Greyen
2008-03-22, 01:52 AM
Dothen

Dothen stands there aghast at the admission that the large part of the town is possessing spirits. Okay, how do we avoid this possession thing? Or do all of the old timers already got someone?

Toliudar
2008-03-22, 02:07 AM
Reid

The priest seems deeply puzzled by the words, but - true to his own vow, struggles to retain an open mind and a closed mouth. None the less, he looks for any sign of coercion or deception in the story of either of the figures who seem to be sharing a body.

Sense Motive [roll0]

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 02:28 AM
Hist

Hist listens in silence to the priest's tale, his face giving little away (although he does raise an eyebrow at the holy man's opening remarks. Finally, after the tale is done, he raises his voice

Father, if I may....

He seems to be relaxed at the priest's tale, even though he starts to fidget ever so slightly.

We have already been investigating Auromar. One... source told us that the worship of... a certain deity was widespread. I think you know the one I mean. And yet he has no temple in this town. You'll forgive a questioning mind, and it is a minor question, but why is that?

Lochar
2008-03-22, 07:12 AM
As far as any of you can tell, he's telling the truth.
"Sleeping draws the spirits to you, and your own will power is turned against you to raise you from your body."

The priest chuckles ruefully. "It's actually odd. The test of the Raidente was something similar. While the priest would sleep, his spirit would rise and then go to test. They would return with Pelor's light and be one of the Radiant Servants.

He then looks at Hist. "Pelor's worship was not as strong then, Histantos. This used to be his temple, before it was converted over. All trappings in here were thrown out and destroyed, and we changed the symbols on the building itself to Pelor's sun."

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 07:19 AM
Hist

Hmm....

After you returned? You'll forgive my asking, but what then happened to the spirits of it's former priests? I... wouldn't think they'd be best pleased at this.

And if the curse is here....

Lochar
2008-03-22, 07:29 AM
"They walked out of the town as the curse fell, laughing at us. I would assume they passed away naturally."

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 07:35 AM
Hist

The warlock nods at the priest's words.

Sounds like them. Somethings don't change

He sighs, and is silent for a moment before continuing.

How many of the settlers are fully possessed? Do you have any idea?

Lochar
2008-03-22, 08:01 AM
"Fully possessed, as in the original soul was driven out? I would assume the guard, who number thirty. More, depending on the number of unsavory people in the town when the curse was laid over us. But the general town folk I would pray were not evil enough to drive off their fellow man just to feel life again."

By now, the two other priests who have been praying are done. They stand and bow first to the head priest, and then to Reid, before taking a small amount of food for themselves before retreating through a side door.

The man speaks up again. "And I do think, that any more questions may have to wait. The townsfolk will be coming shortly to collect their daily supplies of food. It is, after all, nearly supper time."

Indeed, it is only about an hour before dark now.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 08:15 AM
Hist

Indeed. Please forgive my questions father, but.... well, this is rather unusual.

With that, Hist walked out from the temple; sitting down on the ground outside, waiting for the others

Toliudar
2008-03-22, 10:09 AM
Reid

Reid nods and rises.

Thank you, gracious Father, for the benison of your time and the trust implicit in your candour. I have already promised what small measure I can provide in meals to our gracious host for this evening, father, or I would join you. Regardless, I would like to join you again, perhaps this evening, for further conversation. Do you have time for one further question? Were there any of the explorers who resisted the sharing, and what happened to them?

Lochar
2008-03-22, 10:17 AM
The priest nods to Reid. "Most likely, any who resisted sharing were revisited by those would take their place instead of sharing it. Unfortunately, I do not know which would be which."

Greyen
2008-03-22, 03:01 PM
Dothen

Dothen walks outside with Hist after giving the priests a nod. He walks up behind him quietly and stands there for a moment before speaking. I think we need to spring that Kjapp guy. This town and whatever is going on here gives me the willies. I don't think I'll be sleeping within the walls tonight. I'd rather fight yeth hounds all night long then sleep in this city. he flips a small silver clasp with little gemstons shaped like stars in his hand for a moment. I got Reid a present so he can sleep in something other then his nghtshirt. An old friend of mine had one, kept him alive a few times when we got hit at night. Dothen looks around a moment watching the town and garden.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 03:11 PM
Hist

Hist smiles at his friend's aproach, and turns to him.

I think you're right. And I think we better do it quickly, before they decide to put us in there with him. We could probably bust out, but then they'd be looking for us.

And...

He makes a few gestures, and vanishes. Just for a moment though, he reappears rather quickly, smiling.

I have been working on this little trick. I think I've got it pat now. Learn from your foes after all.

Greyen
2008-03-22, 03:21 PM
Dothen

Dothen grins at Hist's demonstration. I've finally figured out Shadow's little fade away trick. He says as he steps into the shadow of the building, fading from sight. He seems to completely reappear as he steps into the light. I also found out a few other bits but I'll save those for when we all are here. I wonder how many spirits all told were cursed and how many have found a body to take over.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 03:31 PM
Hist

Hist grins at his disappearing friend

Between the two of us, we can probably get just about anywhere.

He takes a look out at the settlement.

This place is much larger than the population thus far. I'm guessing that some buildings were destroyed and that there are still a few spirits around.

By they way, how many people do you think are 'fully' possessed? The father back there was being optimistic, but... well, there was a temple of Pygas here.

Greyen
2008-03-22, 03:42 PM
Dothen

Honestly i couldn't even guess how many 'spirits' there are. We could probably find out if we can find the records office in town.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 03:45 PM
Hist

No need for that.

Assume that every one here is possessed.They all speak with the accent, and thus probably are. The only real question.... is how many of them did so peacefully.

Greyen
2008-03-22, 03:55 PM
Dothen

Well, a few hundred maybe? At most a town has one in ten as guard force and we know that there were 30 guards. Maybe more like 500. I really can't guess at how many are here that went peaceably.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 04:02 PM
Hist

Hist smiles at his friend

Yes... that sounds about right. Add to the fact that we can assume about a fifty fifty split between the forceful and the peaceful....

Hist sighs

So, we can assume about half of the settlement will try to kill us if we don't accept possession willfully. Possibly more.

He turns to Dothen, his face far from shining with optimism.

We could end up having to kill innocents if this isn't resolved quickly. I don't like the sound of that.

Toliudar
2008-03-22, 04:17 PM
Reid

Waiting for Grazys to join him, Reid joins the other two chatting outside the temple.

His brow is furrowed. He speaks softly and urgently.

Never let me doubt the variety of solutions that life will find in order to thrive. There is the potential for such blessed collegiality of spirit and flesh here, but a few bad apples threaten everything.

Clearly, it seems that a few of the guards have imprisoned that Kajapp. Er. Kjapp. That fellow from the jail. And that they'll continue to attempt to take him over. Pelor's teachings on this subject are very clear, and frankly it surprises me that such a devout man as that priest hasn't made it clear to the townspeople. Forcibly taking over a body would be akin to murder, which is what he faces. We must try to do something, tonight if possible.

He shrugs.

I...have no head for such indirect and winding paths, but all three of you have a certain, ah, facility for such things. Any ideas how we can save that poor man without bringing the wrath of a whole community down upon us?

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 04:28 PM
Hist

Unless we can get him outside the walls, escape means more or less nothing. And the gates are all manned by the guard

Hist is silent for a moment, thinking

We still need to get him away; as is they have him as a hostage if nothing else. With the Healer's dagger, I can break the bars from inside the prison. If the guards don't monitor the prisoners constantly, that should be enough to get him loose, with no tie to us. However to remain at liberty, we'll need to disguise him

Hist's eyes become a little misty for a moment, as his mind dwells on somthing else

But we also need to break the curse. I'd bet good money it's that which is holding the ghosts to this place. Too much of a coincidence that it is here, along with the ghosts

Before destroying it though, I'll need to be there. Otherwise....

Greyen
2008-03-22, 04:43 PM
Dothen

One thing at a time my friends. First we free Kjapp. Then the curse.

I think we need to talk to Kjapp before we do anything. We will need his help and willingness to spring him, if he doesn't want help then there is no use in doing anything.

He'll want his stuff, I think that I can get his stuff pretty easily. lets walk and talk. Dothen begins a slow walk away from the temple toward the center of town.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 04:48 PM
Hist

Indeed, you are quite right. My apologies, I'm just...

he breaks off part way through his sentence, lost in thought, before following his friend to the center of town.

Greyen
2008-03-22, 04:49 PM
Dothen

Dothen fiddles with something in his hands as he walks and turns handing it to Reid. I gotcha a present, oh shining boy! Its a Restful Crystal. Attach it to your plate armor and it will make it seem like the finest inn's worst bed. Not great but sleepable. That way you don't have to fight yeth Hounds in your night shirt. Its a small silver clasp set with tiny gems like stars.

Toliudar
2008-03-22, 05:15 PM
Reid

Strolling with the others, Reid looks around at the community with a new light. Suddenly, there are eyes everywhere.

Reid takes Dothen's gift with initial silence.

This is...so thoughtful, friend. Thank you! I will wear it thankfully - once we are outside again, I suppose.

He quickly tucks the crystal away in his pack for the moment. His voice drops to a murmur.

Perhaps we can free Kjapp, but create a, what is it called, an alibi for ourselves. If we go back to the hotel after speaking with Kjapp, and retire upstairs, and then we waited until dark, Hist could fly off in the dark. He frees Kjapp, carries him way up and far outside the walls, then off to a rendezvous point where we meet him in late morning. Then Hist slips back in the inn window well before any of the guards come looking for him.

He waves his thoughts off with a shake of his head.

What am I saying? I said I have no head for this. Even at night, you'd be sure to be spotted.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 05:21 PM
Hist

Good enough for me. Thank you Reid

Hist beamed. As he spoke, he seemed to fade from sight, just for a moment.

I learn my lessons. No worries as to the guard seeing me. I can break Kjapp out, but... well, I'm not strong enough to carry him anywhere. We might need to hide him if we break him out. Any ideas?

Toliudar
2008-03-22, 05:49 PM
Reid

Reid nods, clearly impressed.

That's...remarkable, Hist. And as for not being able to carry him...well, there's the fly. It won't exactly be inobtrusive, but if you do it at night, and he flies up quickly, it'd be difficult for anyone on the ground to see where he goes.

Now, if there are disembodied spirits that can be more actively involved, that's something else. But if those spirits were able to directly affect the world, surely they'd already be doing it.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-22, 06:00 PM
Hist

The warlock is slightly touched by Reid's action of lending him the figurine. He smiles at his friend

Thank you Reid. I'll be back by dawn with it, assuming he's fine with the idea of a quick escape.

And as to that... well, let's ask him ourselves

He finishes as the prison comes into sight.

Probably best if we don't all go there. Getting the guard suspicious might not be wise. If you'll excuse me....

With that, and a gesture, he vanishes.

Shortly after that, a voice can be heard just by Kjapp's cell

Hello friend. How do you feel about the prospect of taking a nice long holiday from that little cell?

Toliudar
2008-03-22, 06:02 PM
Reid

Finding Hist abruptly vanished, Reid abruptly alters course.

Amidst all of this excitement, I forgot something I was eager to do when we next came to a town. With a few rough diamonds, I can focus the energies of life back into a recently deceased person. With their accord, of course...none of that necromantic business. Dothen, I don't suppose you'd help me shop for diamonds?

Greymist
2008-03-22, 06:36 PM
Kjapp

Kjapp grins in Hist's general direction

Hist right? I guess flying wasn't your only trick.

Well if the holiday lasts as long as I live that would be great. I don't mean to trouble you but do you think you'd also be able to collect my gear back from the settlement's chief law enforcer?

Greyen
2008-03-23, 01:29 AM
Dothen

Dothen walks next to Reid, talking low but not obviously whispering He's not the only one who can dissappear. I think I'll find out where the lawman in this area resides and get Kjapp's stuff, tonight. The old fashioned way. For now lets go make a few purchases thanks to our fallen friend Freeman. He had quite a stash and I think that those funds might best benefit the group for necessary items. You think you can talk a scroll of 'bring back to life' out of the other pelorites if we jingle some coins their way?

Moral Wiz
2008-03-23, 03:34 AM
Kjapp

Kjapp grins in Hist's general direction

Hist right? I guess flying wasn't your only trick.

Well if the holiday lasts as long as I live that would be great. I don't mean to trouble you but do you think you'd also be able to collect my gear back from the settlement's chief law enforcer?

Should be possible. Do you know where they put it?

Hist looks into the cell, and looks around the street behind him.

What's the cell door like? If Hist goes in, would it be easy to spot him?

And [roll0] Spot check on watchers If DM can be active without breaking invis, Hist'll do so.

Greymist
2008-03-23, 04:41 AM
I was taken to the guard station where I handed over my equipment, where it may have been moved from there I'm not sure.

I can describe the chief law enforcer if it helps, he is a little shorter than me with blue eyes and blond hair. He also looked rather strong and has scaring on his left arm.

Kjapp quirks his mouth thinking for a moment.

Are you staying in town for the night? If you can get me out of here I can disappear and meet you in a day or two.

(I may need to retro this depend on Lochar's answer)

Moral Wiz
2008-03-23, 05:18 AM
Hist

Well, we're mostly staying. But that's a possible risk, and should be avoided.

That's why you've been imprisoned. Any outsider staying is at risk. A bit complex, but... probably best to get you out now. And then to get you out of the settlement. We can manage that.

I'll explain later. Just be ready, ok?

Greymist
2008-03-23, 05:34 AM
Kjapp

He nods

Any excuse to stay awake in this place is fine with me, I'll be ready.

Lochar
2008-03-23, 09:57 AM
Hist:
Short of attacking something, you can do what you like while invisible.

The door beyond has magic.

There are several auras that you can't see beyond the door, some of the same type that the door is, and a pile of varied auras as well.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-23, 10:35 AM
What about the cell door? what's it like?

Greyen
2008-03-23, 10:49 AM
Dothen

Dothen leads the others back to the inn, Lets have a drink and some small talk before heading upstairs. Don't want to seem strange or acting out of place too much. He says before they go inside, where he finds a table and sits down. Here he waits for a waitress/innkeeper and orders a round of drinks. He talks about the weather and the shops in town, informing his friends where things are, nothing serious just a quick run down of the basic lay out of the area.

Lochar
2008-03-23, 11:08 AM
Hist:
From what you can tell, a series of bars quite like the ones here on the windows.

All:
Pause IC until Grazys gets on, as he has something you might all need to hear, if he shares it.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-23, 11:38 AM
Hist

Just to keep us all in one place. Hist got back pretty quickly, and found an out of sight spot to reappear in. That ok?

After a little time Hist entered the inn. He was smiling, and nodded at his friends as he went to sit with them.

Toliudar
2008-03-23, 03:30 PM
Reid

Reid tilts his head quizzically at Dothen's suggestion.

Well, all right. I suppose we could head back to the inn first, but I really would like to see if there are any diamonds to be had in town.

Greyen
2008-03-23, 05:45 PM
Dothen

Dothen gives Reid a wry look Shops close up at dusk, they're afraid of the dark.

Toliudar
2008-03-24, 01:04 AM
Reid

Ah. Well, I suppose if I had disembodied spirits wandering my town, I'd find what comfort I could in a locked door also. Even if I was also, recently, a disembodied spirit. I agree, then. Back to the inn!

GimliFett
2008-03-24, 09:10 AM
Grazys Senneker

The binder shivers, visibly for a moment. "Oi. We got trouble comin'. We're bein' followed by a buncha points of 'One-ness'. There're pro'lly about sixty or so specific instances of tha curse within tha city now. Seems they only come out at night," Grazys comments with a wry smile as he rests his hand comfortably on his rapier.

Sorry, y'all. Didn't expect to have no opportunity over the weekend to make a post. At least I don't have Andras really mad at me for the next time I bind with him. :smallsmile:

Greyen
2008-03-24, 09:15 AM
Dothen

I wonder if its 60 individual spirits. Coming to get us. He looks at the others Think they can do anything to us with out bodies?

Moral Wiz
2008-03-24, 09:36 AM
Hist

Probably.

Hist's face was more or less expressionless.

Oh, Dothen? I spotted a collection of sparks whilst talking to our mutual friend. I'm thinking everything is under one roof.

GimliFett
2008-03-24, 09:46 AM
Grazys Senneker

With a chuckle, Grazys looks at Dothen. "Not all of 'em. Just several. There're sixty or so total in the city," he says.

"'Bout our new friend back there," the binder nods his head back towards the jail. "If I can swap out my vestige's, I can get him out by lettin' him go ta a gaseous form an' he can just slip out, none tha wiser." Grazys winks exaggeratedly.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-24, 09:54 AM
Hist

Perhaps... not a good idea.

Anything too fantastic'll suggest that he didn't just get away on his own. Their needs to at least look on the surface like our friend managed it alone.

I can smash the bars from the inside, and conceal myself. That might work better. And besides, if you can sense the curse, it might be more important for you to try and find what's holding it. That way, we can bring some peace to this place.

Toliudar
2008-03-24, 10:42 AM
Reid

Reid glances about nervously.

Well, I may be able to help in a few ways.

If Grazys can let me know if these sparks draw near, I may be able to keep them at bay using the same kind of prayers I had prepared for Yeth Hounds and the like. And with the right ointment for my eyes, I should be able to see them coming, or at least get a sense of their true nature when they arrive. And, well, we will have to see if they are truly undead spirits, or something stranger still.

I am thinking that I will return to the room and store all of my weapons in my pack - after removing Dothen's twine. My mace may be useless against an insubstantial spirit, but will be just fine against the unfortunate skull of someone possessed. I pray it will not come to that.

Greyen
2008-03-24, 12:30 PM
Dothen

Dothen pays for the drinks and says to his friends Let's move this upstairs before we get too in depth. He stands and heads up to the landing waiting for the others.

Toliudar
2008-03-24, 12:32 PM
Reid

Nodding at his friend's wisdom, Reid heads up the stairs first. Once the door is closed, he begins the careful "unpeacebonding" process.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-24, 12:35 PM
Hist

Hist follows his friends to the room

GimliFett
2008-03-24, 12:48 PM
Grazys Senneker

Nodding, Grazys follows the others as well.

"I could keep my rapier in my pack, that way it'd be accessible somewhat easily. 'Course not as good as if it were where it is. Dothen, could ya tie it fake for me?"

Lochar:Can I discern how many are coming and how close they are?

Greyen
2008-03-24, 01:10 PM
Dothen

Once inside the room he looks to the others and responds to Grazys Sure enough, anyone else? Dothen begins to work his knot making skills. While he is doing this for himself and his friends, he looks up and asks So what is the actual plan tonight? Me and Hist go spring Kjapp? Then we all sleep outside the city or return here, or what?

GimliFett
2008-03-24, 01:16 PM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys purses his lips. "I'm not sure how much time we have until our guests arrive, but I s'pose the pair of you gettin' Kjapp isn't a bad idea. Then what? Is he gonna wait this out while we track down the Curse's source? I'm a little confused."

Lochar
2008-03-24, 01:17 PM
Grazys:
There are fifteen 'points' nearby. Eight of them outside the building, three inside the building at random points, and four in the room with you.

GimliFett
2008-03-24, 01:24 PM
Grazys Senneker

Furrowing his brow deeply, Grazys whispers to Dothen. "I think we've already been marked. There're four here now," he empasizes the location, "three more within the inn and eight more nearby but outside. I've no idea if they can hear and understand us, but I have a feeling we'll be finding out what's goin' on soon enough!"

Greyen
2008-03-24, 01:29 PM
Dothen

Dothen looks up and looks around, he shrugs and goes back to his knot work.Well, we'll find out soon enough I guess. I wonder if they can talk to ones that have already found a home? Or if they can talk to someone who isn't taken yet? Lemme finish tieing these I did a real hasty job on them this afternoon and I want to make sure they are correct.

Toliudar
2008-03-24, 07:25 PM
Reid

Reflexively, Reid looks around the seemingly-empty room.

Four in here now, with us? All right. Before we go any further, time to try something then.

Reid completes a series of swooping passes with one hand, and a glow momentarily engulfs him.

Grazys, if I'm right, the sparks won't be able to leave and re-enter my immediate vicinity. I'm going to try stepping out into the hall. Grazys, could come with me, tell me if any of the sparks follow, and if so...how close?

If the binder agrees, Reid does indeed step down to the end of the hall and wait a moment for Grazys to join him.

Casting Magic Circle vs evil.

GimliFett
2008-03-25, 08:27 AM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys nods and follows the priest into the hall. Once Reid casts his spell, the binder concentrates on the locations of the spirits.

Lochar
2008-03-25, 09:02 AM
Grazys:
Two of the points follow the both of you out, passing back and forth beyond the circle line created by Reid.

GimliFett
2008-03-25, 09:10 AM
Grazys Senneker

"The ones which have chosen us have followed us. But..." Grazys pauses as he concentrates once more.

Lochar:Clarification: But they do not cross the barrier? I'm a little harried this morning, please bear with me! :smallbiggrin:

Lochar
2008-03-25, 09:14 AM
Yes, they're passing back and forth beyond the line/barrier of the magic circle. Several times, seemingly quite deliberately.

GimliFett
2008-03-25, 09:33 AM
Grazys Senneker

The binder scowls. "I believe they are tauntin' us. The barrier has no effect an' they seem to be emphasizin' that point," Grazys pauses once more. "Which means that they understand me an' know I know they're there. Oi." He mutters softly.

Sighing, Grazys looks at the spirits. "Are ya good spirits or bad spirits?" he asks with complete innocence in a sing-song falsetto.

Lochar
2008-03-25, 09:50 AM
Grazys:
The two stop, but you can't sense anything else from them, and you cannot see them either if they are making gestures at you.

GimliFett
2008-03-25, 09:56 AM
Grazys Senneker

"They've stopped movin'. Dunno what that portends," Grazys adds with a shrug as he looks to Reid for guidance.

Lochar:I meant I look in their general direction. I didn't think I could actually see them, just maybe try and get them to do something.

Lochar
2008-03-25, 09:59 AM
Gimli:
Noted, I was making a different point.

GimliFett
2008-03-25, 10:08 AM
Lochar:Sorry. You may have to spell stuff out to me right now. My brain no function good right now. What was your point? :smallsmile:

Lochar
2008-03-25, 10:09 AM
Grazys:
Baby keeping you up, huh? How do you see things you can't see?

GimliFett
2008-03-25, 10:20 AM
Lochar:Actually, no. She's been great! She's gonna be an amazon, I think!
I'm just goin' through some funky insomniac-ness where I wake up about every 45 minutes to 2 hours (at most). I don't think I'm getting to REM at all.
Anyway, I'll try and pay better attention to what I'm saying. I may have misinterpreted the intent of passing across the barrier, but Grazys is a little on edge. 'Course the funny thing about this town and the spirits is the good ones who share are similar to vestiges and binders.

Toliudar
2008-03-25, 12:19 PM
Reid

The priest scowls, standing next to Grazys.

Well, I doubt that this will help, but we've got to start figuring things out.

Reid gently lifts the pendant at his neck, and stares intently at...well, at the empty hallway where Grazys is looking. His voice is soft and fervent.

Disembodied spirits, I bid you quit this place and leave us in peace. May Pelor's light shine upon us, and keep us safe.

Crapdoodles. Well, let's try a Turn Attempt, see if it has any effect whatsoever.
Turning Check (Max HD): [roll0] = 13 HD creatures affected
Hit Dice Affected: [roll1]

Lochar
2008-03-25, 12:30 PM
Reid:
You feel Pelor's light spread out from you, and it touches two points near you, and spreads further, getting the other two in the room.

You feel a mental connection forge in your mind with them.

"Yes Master?"

OOC:
Congrats, you've now rebuke/controlled them.

Grazys:
Something in the spirits shift, you can feel the curse buried deeper, as something else covers it.

GimliFett
2008-03-25, 12:33 PM
Grazys Senneker

Turning a puzzled gaze towards Reid, Grazys leans in and whispers, "Somethin's different. It's like somethin's coverin' tha Curse up, buryin' it under whatever. What'd you do?"

Toliudar
2008-03-25, 12:47 PM
Reid

Reid's face, which had darkened with frustration, flushes of blood for a moment. He whispers.

Grazys, we should head back into the room. This just got more complicated.

He reaches out hesitantly with his thoughts.

Come with us into the bedchamber. Can you tell me who you are. And what you are?

His eyes still scanning the empty hallway, he walks back into the chamber, and waits for Grazys to join them and close the door.

Um. In the last five years, I've faced the undead, well, eight times. Five times, I was able to make them flee my presence, because they were powered by the darkness that fears Pelor's light. These four spirits seem...seem to have responded more openly to his holy radiance. I seem to be, well, exercising a modicum of control over them.

He glances around at his companions, clearly uncomfortable with the idea of having control over another creature, even inadvertantly in this way.

Any suggestions?

Lochar
2008-03-25, 12:52 PM
Reid:

A thought reaches your mind, not your own, coming from the spirits you cannot see but somehow command.

Souls. That is all that is left of us. I am Abel, and my brother Kim is here. My wife Elyham, and a friend of ours, Matthew. We only wished to speak with you all when you slept, to ask of you that you may let us join you in life.

Greyen
2008-03-25, 01:02 PM
Dothen

Dothen looks up from fiddling with the bit of left over twine. Um, what!? Ask them what they want and why they are here? I dunno!

GimliFett
2008-03-25, 01:05 PM
Grazys Senneker

"How's that?" the binder asks with an arched eyebrow. "That's a bit strange. I didn't think that could be done unless ya were a bit darker in yer inclinations with positive an' negative energy. I've done similar things before comin' here when bound with Tenebrous," Grazys comments.

Toliudar
2008-03-25, 01:10 PM
Reid

Thank you, Abel. Hello Elyham, Kim, Matthew. I am Reid. Pleased to make your acquaintance. I will certainly ask about the, ah, possibility of sharing. A moment, please.

And, um, can you tell us how long you've been here as, ah, souls, and what might be holding you here? And if your soul is tied to this place, or is free to roam the land?

Reid's eyes come back into focus, and he responds to Dothen.

Their names are Abel, Elyham, Kim, and Matthew. They're souls. Presumably left from bad times long ago, but I'm trying to check on that. They were hoping to talk with us about reaching a, well, a sharing arrangement.

Now, before you get all negative about this, I would point out that if they responded as they did to Pelor's energy, it would seem to strengthen their story about being, ah, sharers rather than takers. And also, it would seem that if we have an, um, sharer, then it might eliminate the risk of being taken.

Greyen
2008-03-25, 01:19 PM
Dothen

Dothen gives Reid an exasperated look. NoOoo! I have already had the curse F___ing with me once before. if they was not cursed then they'd be gone. If they is cursed I wants nuthin' to do with 'em!. How do we get them on their way tae their god? Dothen stands and is pacing the room, very agitated about this whole possesion thing.

Lochar
2008-03-25, 01:46 PM
Reid:
Longer than any of us can remember, and everything blends together until the arrival of others. We cannot leave the walls of the town, we are cursed to stay until flesh we wear dies a natural death. Abel's voice enters your mind.

Another voice breaks in, this one a light female. You can sense that it is Elyham. Destroy us to release us. My son attempted the Raidente path to gain Pelor's favor to destroy us, so we could move on. His soul could not leave the town though, so it was ravaged between curse and light.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-25, 01:46 PM
Hist

Hist also seems a tad uneasy about the idea, but dosn't outright state his feelings.

The most logical way to do that would be to sever the ties that hold these spirits here. In this case, the curse. Not sure how it relates to the spirits though. If it's in the spirits themselves though then... well, I'd better make sure I can get rid of the energy safely. Otherwise....

As to the question... well, in my case at least, it's academic. I plan to spend the night outside the walls. After springing Kjapp, the guard's be on alert. Invisible or no, I don't like taking chances. If we are still in this state of affairs tomorrow night... well, I'll deal with the question then.

GimliFett
2008-03-25, 02:10 PM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys purses his lips as he listens to Dothen and Hist's remarks. "Seems similar to binding, but the sharer gains a bit of control? Is that only with the owner's consent? With vestiges, they're basically riders. They can see and hear and experience, but not really interact."

Toliudar
2008-03-25, 11:12 PM
Reid

Reid's eyes flicker around the room, and back to Grazys.

They say that they've been trapped here for a long time, but that the time sort of blurs together until the other explorers came. They believe that destroying a host form while they inhabit it frees their souls. And that they can't leave the city walls.

He glances significantly at Hist.

Elyham says that her brother either became, or attempted to become, a Radiant Servant in order to free the others, but he was caught here, as tormented as the others.

He focuses inwards again.

Can you hear my friends' words? One asks what it is like when you join someone. Is it permanent? Do you take on a degree of control over the body? Once in the body, can you move outside the city? What happens to you during the daylight hours? I apologize for the many questions - this is very new and confusing to me.

And, Elyham, has your brother now merged with a newcomer? We met a priest of Pelor earlier today, but he didn't say that he was a Radiente, just that he knew of the process.

Greyen
2008-03-25, 11:28 PM
Dothen

Dothen sits there staring at Reid, Reid don't you go getting no funny ideas about sharing a body with a cursed spirit neither. With out you, or Anura, I think the rest of us may be a little shorthanded when it comes to breaking the curse. No sharing! None! How do we know they aren't lieing about something?

I do have question for them though, can they hear me directly? And can they talk to another spirit if tha spirit is in a body? You understand? If Bobby Sue is sharing with Elmer the ghost, can Elyham talk to Elmer the Ghost? Maybe tell him that we've been talking about springing a certain guy?

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 12:35 AM
Reid

Reid's smile reappears, the first time since the whole sordidness of the spirits rose to confront them. It's as wide, and as warm, as a sunny day.

I do appreciate your concern, friend. But I doubt that my ordering you not to wander off at night, or to tell Hist to stay with the rest of the group would have any influence on your actions. I serve Pelor, and my conscience. You'll forgive me for putting your advice in that context?

But I will ask them your question.

Abel, any of you... As you are, as souls, can you speak with the souls that have come to share bodies? Or those that have, well, taken over their hosts entirely?

Greyen
2008-03-26, 02:08 AM
Dothen

Dothen calms down, Reid's words striking a chord with him I know that you will do what you feel is right my friend. This whole spirits thing gets me a little excited. Watched a good friend get cut down because he were possessed by a spirit controlled by a necromancer we was working for at the time. Bad business. He shakes his head and fingers the whitish scarf he is never without.That's why I got this here scarf though, no more troubles with trying ta kill spirits when I'm wearing it. He paces some more How we gonna get sixty plus little bits of the curse off of these wandering souls?

He thinks a moment longer Hist, you said you might be able to pull the curse energy into yourself and be rid of it that way. Can ya do that for these folks?

Moral Wiz
2008-03-26, 02:12 AM
Hist

If the energy is loose, I can deal with it. But.... well, we'd need to destroy them first I think, to free the energy. It'd make sure they aren't tied here, that they don't come back, but....

Greyen
2008-03-26, 02:42 AM
Dothen

Where do they go from here?Dothen looks concerned for a moment before turning to Reid I'm sure some of these folks have earned a place in the nicer afterlife. This stuff really is out of my league. Is there a way to find out if any of this will work?

Lochar
2008-03-26, 07:51 AM
Reid:
You are the first we have been able to speak to unless they were asleep. There is a quiet moment, and then Abel's voice enters your mind again. And we don't know if it is permanent, or anything. We do not see those who have bodies leave the town at night, and during the daylight we do not exist. We cannot communicate with those who have bodies at all, regardless of whether or not they have a spirit in them.

A different voice enters your mind, you can sense that it belongs to the one named Matthew. All we know is what the priests of the One said when they left. To pass beyond, we must live and die again.

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 10:08 AM
Reid

Thank you, Adam, Matthew. I will do what I can to help you in your plight.

This is a hard question, but I must ask - if we did find a way to bring you hosts, and then to destroy the hosts - do you wish to be released onwards?

Reid looks back at Dothen.

It's possible, of course, that the curse isn't centralized in a place or object, but distributed amongst these souls themselves.

Our four guests are basing their knowledge on their own observations, and what the priests of Pygas told them as they left. They say that they can usually only communicate with someone when they're asleep, and have no way to communicate with other spirits that have entered bodies. They do not see the spirits-in-bodies leaving the town, but during the day the disembodied apparently simply stop being - they have no awareness.

Lochar
2008-03-26, 10:14 AM
Reid:

I want to see my son! Elyham's mental voice says.

Pass on. I am tired of this world. Matthew.

I would like to finish my life before it ended Kim states.

I agree with Elyham, our son needs our help before we can go. Abel.

GimliFett
2008-03-26, 10:21 AM
Grazys Senneker

Having been deep in thought, Grazys finally blinks his eyes a few times and returns to the group. "So when they join a body, tha curse is ended for them, but they're still stuck in a dual-existence which won't end until their host dies? In tha meantime, they really do only come out at night."

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 10:22 AM
Reid

Matthew, I will do what I can to help you. Adam Abel, Elyham - who is your son. Has he merged with a settler? Can you describe him?

Quickly, Reid passes on the nature of his question and their responses to the others.

Lochar
2008-03-26, 10:27 AM
Reid:
Abel, not Adam. :P

Our son's name is Rico. He is fourteen, and he is still trapped in the Raidente test, torn between the test and the curse. Elyham tells you.

We cannot reach him without starting the test ourselves, and we would be in the same position he is in. Abel adds.

Greyen
2008-03-26, 10:38 AM
Dothen

On a side note, there is a woman in town who speaks in both the regular tounge and with an accent. I wonder if she is faking being a rider or is a willing participant?

GimliFett
2008-03-26, 10:50 AM
Grazys Senneker

"I'd lean toward fakin' it. But that's interestin'. Why do that?" the binder muses.

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 11:36 AM
Reid

What I get for posting before coffee. :smallredface:

I don't understand. Where is Rico? Is there any way I might reach him?

His eyes snapping back into focus, Reid responds to Dothen's musings.

Perhaps she has found a way of avoiding attracting the souls. Or perhaps she is a "sharer", whose visitor-soul relinquished control for part of the conversation.

Lochar
2008-03-26, 11:47 AM
Reid:
He occasionally appears near the temple, parts of his body. If his head appears, we can speak with him, but he's not quite all there, if you understand.

Grazys:
Another one of the spirit points outside the building joins the three inside the building that Reid doesn't have control over. They're currently not close to your room though.

GimliFett
2008-03-26, 11:54 AM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys turns to Reid. "Um. Another spirit just joined tha other three that wait in the inn. Not yer extended family here, but those others I mentioned earlier."

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 12:18 PM
Reid

The priest nods.

Ah. I'll ask them about the others. Also, Grazys - it seems that Rico sometimes appears, in parts, by the temple. If his head appears, he is able to converse. We may be able to learn more about him - but I'll need your help, when the time comes, to actually find him in the first place.

He turns his thoughts back to the spirits.

There are several other spirits down below, and one that's just joined them. Do you know them, and can you converse with them? Are there still disembodied spirits of the guards about, and do they interact freely with the rest of the disembodied souls?

Lochar
2008-03-26, 12:43 PM
Reid:
Others of the town. Yes we can converse with them, and there are a couple of guards. They normally stay near the prison and have stated their claim to any lawbreakers they will take over.

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 01:53 PM
Reid

Blanching slightly, Reid turns again to his friends.

The souls can converse with each other. There are still a couple of the spirits of the former guards in a disembodied state. They tend to congregate around the prison, and have claimed any "lawbreakers" as their own. Perhaps Mister Kjapp isn't telling us everything, or the spirits who have achieved a bodied form have grown tired of waiting for new subjects in which to introduce their colleagues - and so are trumping up a scenario against him.

The souls downstairs are others of the townspeople - not guards.

It would...be interesting to know if the spirits of the guards look any different to Grazys' perceptions than the other sparks. Can you sense as far away as the jail?

Lochar
2008-03-26, 02:06 PM
Grazys:
The sense is the same for all.

GimliFett
2008-03-26, 02:17 PM
Grazys Senneker

Shaking his head, the binder replies to Reid's question. "I can sense 'em all in town, but there's no way I can tell ta differentiate 'em.

Good ta know those're normal folks downstairs. Course I s'pose regular folk can be selfish an' try an' force somethin' as much as tha next guy, eh?"

Moral Wiz
2008-03-26, 02:22 PM
Hist

Law breakers... such as those who assist in prison breaks.

Do your new friends know why the guards haven't possessed Kjapp yet?

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 02:23 PM
Reid

Reid tilts his head at Grazys' comment.

Well, I suppose. If the next guy is a cold-blooded killer.

Abel, as you understand it, what happens when you, ah, enter a host? Do you take over control whenever you exert it. Is there a shared consciousness? Do you become one person? The spirits who have taken on human appearance are a bit circumspect about this.

Nodding to Dothen, he adds.

I'll ask.

An...acquaintance of ours is currently held in the jail area, and he doesn't seem to have a host. If there are a couple of the souls of guards there, do you know of any reason why he wouldn't have been taken over by this point?

GimliFett
2008-03-26, 02:40 PM
Grazys Senneker

Smiling thinly, Grazys shakes his head once more. "I meant that ya never know how someone'll react ta a situation when it comes down ta survival, Reid. Tha guy next door might be tha most peaceful fellow ya've ever met until ya threaten his life an' liberty."

Lochar
2008-03-26, 02:48 PM
Reid:
We share consciousness, as far as I know. As I do not share a body with anyone now, I cannot tell you any more than that. Abel's voice tells you.

As for the one in the jail, if he protected his body when he slept, they would have to fight him for his body.

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 03:36 PM
Reid

Ah, thank you. It makes sense that if he were able to shield his body, it would have been proof from the guardsmen's, ah, intentions. Do you know how that kind of protection is accomplished?

And, ah, Abel...when you say that you do not share a body with anyone now, should I infer that you did at one point?

Lochar
2008-03-26, 03:41 PM
Reid:
We had hoped to join with you and your companions, so I do not share a body with anyone now, since you control our fate, Master.

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 05:49 PM
Reid

Reid very much hoped that his next thoughts did not convey to the four spirits.

What, more? More for my shoulders! Sure. Pile it on.

He turned to his companions, a tinge of fervour in his voice.

We've got to try something! If the guards stay near the jail, it should be safe enough to go to the temple. Perhaps we can find Rico - get his perspective. Look more for the source that Hist is talking about. And...

His voice falters.

Perhaps we could take these four with us?

GimliFett
2008-03-26, 07:30 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder shrugs. "Doesn' make a difference ta me; it's their family, after all. Let 'em come an' maybe they can identify trouble spirits for us since I can't?" Grayzs asks with an arched eyebrow.

Toliudar
2008-03-26, 09:48 PM
Reid

Reid nods eagerly.

I'll ask. Ah, Hist, Dothen - you probably got a better overview of the town than I did. Is there a path to the temple that doesn't take us close to the jail. You know, just in case.

Abel has speculated that there may be a way that Kjapp is shielding his body from the invasion. In any case, a couple hours more, as it gets truly dark, won't make a difference.

If Dothen and Hist signal a willingness to head back to the temple, Reid will happily head downstairs, following directions to the temple.

Greyen
2008-03-26, 11:17 PM
Dothen

Dothen thinks for a moment. I think I can get you there, may take a few extra minutes but it shouldn't be too hard. With that Dothen stands and looks out the window for a moment scanning the street and surrounding area, if it is clear he will slip out the window. Poking his head back in a he says Meet me by the out house.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-27, 06:34 AM
Hist

Hist, after his friend has gotten clear of the window, focuses on his spells. With a smile, he fades from view, just as his wings begin to appear.

With an unseen smile, he flies out the window, aiming for the outhouse.

Greyen
2008-03-27, 07:07 AM
Dothen

Dothen steps out on to the walls and moves around the inn till he can see the outhouse. He stays on the wall until he sees that the outhouse is open. He then goes and stands up wind of the outhouse, hidden from sight waiting on his friends.

Hide [roll0]

GimliFett
2008-03-27, 08:36 AM
Grazys Senneker

Chuckling softly, Grazys smiles at Reid. "I feel so mundane these days!" Shaking his head in amusement, he heads for the door. "Ready when you are!"

Toliudar
2008-03-27, 09:35 AM
Reid

Reid manages a pale shadow of Grazys' lopsided grin.

Oh, sure. Takes long-dead beings into your body for powers. Makes a pact with a, well, a Scholar. Sees dead people. I can see how your life is one long stretch of tedium.

Considering the challenges ahead, Reid takes a moment and stuffs his armour into his pack as well. Slinging it onto his shoulders, he follows Grazys out.

We are going to try to contact Rico. Please, come with us, friends. If you sense the proximity of any of the disembodied spirits of guards, please let me know.

Lochar
2008-03-27, 09:39 AM
Reid:
Yes Master.

The four of you can meet up without issue and make it to the church. When you get there, the temple looks fairly well deserted.

It is raining lightly, misting the area.

Grazys:
You can sense the four spirits that Reid has control over near you all, and two spirits inside the temple.

Toliudar
2008-03-27, 09:46 AM
Reid

Thank you for remaining with us. Can you guide me to the place - or places - where Rico is most likely to appear?

Upon receiving such information, Reid passes it along to the others.

GimliFett
2008-03-27, 09:50 AM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys gently tugs on Reid's sleeve. "In addition to yer new friends, there're two more inside the temple."

Toliudar
2008-03-27, 09:56 AM
Reid

Reid nods slowly.

Also, friends, can you sense anything about two spirits inside the temple? Could one of you go see who it is, and let them know we only seek to help?

Lochar
2008-03-27, 09:58 AM
Reid:
Where he started the task, in the temple.

A moment's wait, and Matthew's voice returns to your mind. Rico is there, along with the High Priest. Rico is only partially there, an arm, part of his chest, and a leg. The rest is just light to us.

Greyen
2008-03-27, 10:24 AM
Dothen

Dothen keeps quiet and unseen, watchful for corporeal and noncorporeal people.

Spot [roll0]

Lochar
2008-03-27, 10:36 AM
Dothen:
In the dark and light rain, you can't make out much beyond about thirty feet in front of you, but you don't see anything there.

Greyen
2008-03-27, 10:41 AM
Dothen

Dothen, seeing that he cannot see too far steps away from the light of the others and out into the weather beginning a slow patrol of the immediate area keeping watch for the others.

Not being more than 50-100 feet away from the Reid and Grazys. Moving slowly to keep hidden he's just going to keep watch for the city watch.

Spot [roll0] - if it is required
Listen [roll1]

Toliudar
2008-03-27, 02:08 PM
Reid

Reid smiles with a bit of resignation.

Thank you, Matthew. I understand that seeing Rico in this way must be painful to you - I only hope that it helps us gain a better understanding of the curse.

He shifts to talk with the others once Dothen returns.

Well, the spirits inside are Rico and the high priest - which suggests either that the high priest is not the man we spoke with this afternoon, or else that he's stepped out of his host body for a time.

Also, as I mentioned, only parts of Rico materialize at a time. Apparently, right now, we'll have an arm, his chest, and part of a leg. If we aren't able to use the others to help communicate with him - perhaps kinaesthetically or telepathically - this could be difficult. Nonetheless, we should try. Shall we?

Assuming that Dothen's scouting is clear, and the others are willing, Reid offers the proper prayer upon entrance to the temple, and leads the way.

GimliFett
2008-03-27, 02:33 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder shrugs and follows Reid inside, eager to be out of the rain. He remains silent as they gather inside, but focuses on locating the spirits.

Lochar
2008-03-27, 02:34 PM
Entering the church, it is quiet and empty, even the three priests from earlier gone. Either in a different part of the church or in homes away from here.

There are a few scraps of food left at the tables but it has been well and throughly cleaned up. The desk that the priest you spoke with is cleaned up with no papers, and no drawers in the desk.

Reid:
As you get close to the center of the room, Elyham's voice enters your mind, oddly neutral.

My son.

Abel's speaks afterwards. She retreats away from it, how I wish I could as well.

Grazys:
There are two spirits in here, one in front of the symbol of Pelor, another near it.

GimliFett
2008-03-27, 02:40 PM
Grazys Senneker

With a slight nod forward, Grazys quietly speaks. "Near the symbol of Pelor. One in front of it and another nearby." He comfortably rests his hand on his rapier as he waits for Reid to move.

Greyen
2008-03-27, 04:16 PM
Dothen

Dothen whispers to the group I'm still here, I'm going to look around. Dothe begins a slow deliberate search of the main chapel area, keeping an eye out for anything that seems out of place, fake or tacked on to something older/antique.

Search [roll0] or take 20 if we have time.

Maintain Hide/Mov Silent of possible, keep an eye and ear out for intruders (other than ourselves of course)

Lochar
2008-03-27, 04:24 PM
Dothen:
There doesn't seem to anything odd about the temple, it's in good repair and seems to be what a temple should be. There are a couple of doors leading off to either side, into the two story 'towers' on either side of the main temple.

Greyen
2008-03-27, 04:27 PM
After searching the main area Dothen will go stand by the front door watching for intruders, someone that might interrupt Reid and Grazys with their work. Dothen's just trying to smooth out any mundane wrinkles before they become a problem for Reid and Grazys to figure out what the heck is going on. Including sapping a guardsman before he can be a problem if needed.

Toliudar
2008-03-27, 07:11 PM
Reid

Reid smiles gratefully at Dothen's diligence. It was reassuring, in this crazy situation, to have older and more competent men like Grazys and Dothen around.

Reid stepped closer to the symbol.

Abel, I'm sorry. I know how difficult this must be, but I need you to describe the two figures here, as you see them. Also, please tell me which one is Rico. If you speak to him, can he hear you?

Hist, you're sure that there's no chance that this symbol used to be a symbol of Pygas, nothing like that? You seemed to have a sense for these things.

Seeking reassurance, Reid fingered his own much smaller sun-symbol, praying for whatever guidance and strength it might afford.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-28, 03:20 AM
Hist

well... I can look for magic in it. But I'm not sure if I can sense the curse, if it was there. You might want to ask the priests if they simply changed the old symbol.

With that, after a moment of simply staring at the symbol, Hist focused on his powers, and awakening his eyes to the mystic.

Detect magic. [roll0] spot check to see if the symbol bares any similarity to the symbol of Pygas. Mentally comparing the two symbols; seeing if one could be warped into the other.

Lochar
2008-03-28, 07:36 AM
Reid:
Rico cannot hear us, as he does not have ears to listen. The other is Pelor's main priest here, before the town was cursed. He was the one that begin the ritual for Rico to attempt the Radiante path. Hold on a moment, Master.

Your mind is quiet for a moment, before Abel's voice returns. Father Illian says to sleep and talk to him yourself, and to tell you goodbye?

At the end of that sentence, you feel a wave of Pelor's light, oddly emanating from a point where you can't see anything, but where Grazys' said the other spirit was standing. It overrides your connection to the other four and you lose control of them.

Hist:
The symbol is carved into stone, inlaid with wood. The wood shows signs of being new.

Spellcraft check of 22+
The wall shows signs of having been molded with several castings of Sculpt Stone. You cannot sense any lingering magics that might belong to Pygas.

Grazys:
For a moment, you sense the four spirits that Reid controls have their curse buried even deeper, before whatever was covering the curse is removed completely, leaving them as they were before Reid took control over them.

GimliFett
2008-03-28, 08:25 AM
Grazys Senneker

Tilting his head to the side, Grazys turns a puzzled look on Reid. "What just happened? They're back ta tha way they were before ya...whatever ya did ta 'em back at tha inn."

Toliudar
2008-03-28, 09:51 AM
Reid

The priest is clearly puzzled.

Abel just told me that Rico couldn't hear them, because he had no ears in this place, at least right now. He also spoke with the other spirit, who is apparently Father Illian, the priest of Pelor who helped Rico attempt the path of the Radiente.

Father Illian seems to have used his own power to release them, which has broken my contact with all four. Before the contact was broken, Abel passed on a message from Father Illian: that I should sleep, and speak with him directly.

While that's tempting - the Father is likely to have a unique sensitivity and perspective on the situation - it seems like breaking the contact in the way he did was a, well, a precipitous action on his part.

He moves even closer to the sun-symbol, running his hands along it.

I want to trust him, to surrender to the good of all, but something pulls me back from the prospect of opening myself here, in sleep - even to a fellow priest. What do you think?

GimliFett
2008-03-28, 09:57 AM
Grazys Senneker

With a thin smile, Grazys nods to Reid, then shakes his head. "I'm not the most trustin' sort in tha world, as ya may know. It seems a bit odd that he'd dismiss tha family like that, but yer tha priest, an' he's a priest, so what kinda feelin''re ya gettin' from Pelor? I'll be able ta sense if he does somethin' untoward - I think - but I don' think any of us'd be able ta help ya fend off if he, or another, were ta try somethin'."

Lochar:The spirits are still around, just no longer under Reid's control? Which basically means there's no communicating with 'em any more, too, right?

Lochar
2008-03-28, 10:00 AM
Grazys:
Yes, they're all still here. Reid could attempt to do the same thing he'd done before, if he wants to attempt to re-establish control and a connection with them.

Toliudar
2008-03-28, 10:06 AM
Reid

Reid nods a bit glumly.

It is a bit of a, well, a caught-in-the-middle situation. I can't really judge Father Illian or his actions without having some way to communicate with him, and I can't communicate with him without opening myself up to him before I know about the reasoning behind his actions. Unless I try to connect with him via Pelor's energy...although that might seem, well, rude in his own temple.

GimliFett
2008-03-28, 10:09 AM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys laughs loudly, then stifles it into minor chuckles. "Sorry. I bet it would at that. Not ta mention he may be more powerful than an ordinary townsfolk's spirit, eh?"

Moral Wiz
2008-03-28, 11:52 AM
Hist

Hist seems curious at the actions of the unseen father.

I'll... confess I don't know truly what's best here Reid. To sleep here and open your mind to his... well, that is a high degree of trust. After regaining control of the other spirits... well, it is your decision here.

Of course, all this could be a test of faith.

He smiles.

[roll0] Spellcraft. Just out of completeness.

Toliudar
2008-03-28, 11:57 AM
Reid

Reid nods.

That too. On the other hand, invoking the power of Pelor in a place of his worship shouldn't be seen as too awful a slight.

I hope.

Grazys, am I standing close to Father Illian?

When he feels about as ready as he's likely to be, Reid again reaches out to the spirits with the power of Pelor.

Yes, this will almost certainly fail. But then, that's what I thought the LAST time I tried to turn the spirits.

Turn rebuked: [roll0] = max 10 HD.
Hit Dice commanded: [roll1]

GimliFett
2008-03-28, 12:01 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder directs Reid close to the spirit of Father Illian as best he is able.

Lochar
2008-03-28, 12:48 PM
Hist:
Nothing that you can tell with that check.

Reid:
Pelor's might rolls from you, his energies flowing over the nearby spirits you know are there, even if you can't see them.

You feel the mental connections reforge themselves with the four previously, and feel an odd roll over where Rico is at, according to Grazys and the others, but you don't make a connection with him.

Where Father Illian is, you feel the energy sent forth run up straight against a wall. Illian is too powerful to awe or control.

Yes Master? three familiar voices echo in your mind.

Abel's voice speak differently. Master, Father Illian has a message for you. It was 'Do not control the spirits of those innocent of any wrong doing, that is not the way of Pelor's light.'

Toliudar
2008-03-28, 05:15 PM
Reid

Reid takes the spirit's admonitions to heart, bowing his head.

Abel, I humbly beg your pardon, the Father's, and all of yours. I will do everything I can not to compel you to any action you would not willingly undertake - and please understand that I do this only in hopes of freeing the spirits from this curse.

Please explain to the Father that I cannot risk lowering my guard to sleep at this time - for the sun is watchful as well as kind - and that I have re-established this contact with you only to facilitate communications with him - and, I had hoped, with Rico. Are you willing to act as our interlocutor? You are free to say no, if you desire.

He glances up at his colleagues, not wishing to alarm them.

I have re-established contact with our four companions from the inn. The Father - has pointed out an error in my judgement in returning them to a state of servitude, which I accept, and will do penance for. I am begging their forebearance to remain in this state for a short time, that we may use them to communicate with the Father - and, perhaps, with Rico.

Lochar
2008-03-28, 08:21 PM
Reid:
We don't mind helping.

There is a moment, and then Abel speaks again. Father Illian agrees to this as well, as long as you release us before leaving the temple. He asks what would you speak of with him.

Toliudar
2008-03-28, 09:02 PM
Reid

Reid nods.

Father Illian has agreed to speak with us through Abel, and asks that we release the four spirits before we go. This seems like a most reasonable request. What questions do we have? I'll start off by asking him about himself, his own recollections of the coming of the curse, and of the nature of Rico's predicament.

Reid focuses on Abel. He asks the questions slowly, allowing the spirit time to repeat the question and respond before moving on to each question after.

First, our blessings and thanks to the father. Was it unselfishness, or some other power, that has held him back from pairing with one of the settlers?

What are Father Illium's recollections of the coming of the curse?

Does he retain his priestly abilities in his new state?

Where are the parts of Rico that we cannot see? Abel, I apologize, but I seek only the freeing of all of the spirits - including, and perhaps especially, Rico's.

Can Rico be touched by other spirits while in this state? Does he respond to your touch?

Has the curse affected the guardsmen who do not share control of their host bodies differently, or is it their choice that they manifest differently?

Does Father Illium know if townspeople with the two souls in them can leave the town?

Does Father Illium know if there is a physical location which acts as a focal point for the curse?

Does Father Illium know of any people in town who do not have a soul companion or guardsman soul resident in them? Aside, of course, from the four of us.

The traditions of the Radiente have changed considerably since the time of your birth. Can Father Illium describe to us, in confidence, the ceremony that he used with Rico? It may be a clue as to how the curse affects you, and how it might be lifted. If he requires, I will keep the details secret.

As Reid brings each question to Abel, he relays the answer to the previous question to his companions, to cut down on the lag in such a long conversation.

Lochar
2008-03-28, 09:31 PM
Father Illian has not asked anyone to host his spirit while Rico is still torn between the test and the curse. He wishes to fix what happened to the boy before he feels he can attempt to pass on.

Father Illian was the head priest of Pelor for the town when the curse came down, but he wasn't even as strong in his faith as Reid appears to be now, he gained in faith and strength during the years and years of waiting for the curse to be broken. He feels that had he been stronger in his faith when the curse happened, he may have been able to stave off the effects for the town, instead of succumbing to them as had happened.

He retained the ability to call upon Pelor's light to control spirits, which he used to keep those who would forcibly take bodies in line, but they hid their intentions too well and managed to take bodies anyways. Pelor's prayers are taken at dawn, when the spirits bound by the curse vanish, so he is not able to pray for Pelor's magics.

The parts of Rico that cannot be seen are in Pelor's Light, the testing ground of the Raidente. The curse binds his spirit here though, and he cannot complete the test to pass or fail it, and is therefore trapped between.

Rico can be touched and talked to, if his head appears on that particular night. His mind seems to be split or gone though, and he only speaks gibberish.

The guards followed the faith of the One, but were not evil, just lawful. They took bodies to guard the town again, fufilling their duties as they saw them. They did not give a choice to those who came, and there were too many to control all at once to keep them from taking bodies.

No one has left the town at night while those still cursed as spirits can see. During the day, the spirits do not exist to see if they do leave.

The spirits act as the focal points for the curse. Before the explorers came, the curse was spread out and weak among each spirit. As each took a host or shared, the curse bound in them was released and split among those still without flesh. Should there be only one spirit left, Father Illian assumes that one spirit would be the single focus point for the curse.

All in the town currently have a spirit of the original townspeople in them. Those who did not wish to take on a spirit can no longer be found in the town. Father Illian assumes they left and went further into the continent.

Reid:
The test of the Raidente seperates body and soul for a limited time, ascending the soul for a small time to a place between this plane and Pelor's plane. It is called Pelor's Light, for those who return speak of a light that shines brightly, such that only the most pious of all can see into that light and gain the radiance that marks one of Pelor's direct mortal servants. It is said that the light is given off by Pelor himself, and each Radiant Servant reflects that light himself when he returns from the test.

Father Illian would like to know if you have only just begun on the path of the Raidente, for the light of your soul is brighter than that of a normal priest of Pelor, but no where near the brightness of the Raidente of his time.

Toliudar
2008-03-28, 10:00 PM
Reid

Reid actually smiles a bit at the Father's question.

I am indeed newly come to the Radiente. I took my oath and training just a few weeks before setting sail. One morning, Father Thodor called me "flash in the pan" - full of Pelor's light, but not able to hold it steady, he said. I suppose he might be right. I have certainly fallen short of His example from time to time, here on Auromar. I thank you, Father, for your patience and forebearance.

Father, it had occurred to me that, if I were to return at a time when Rico's head was present here, I might be able to take him into myself, and with him complete the journey he started so many years ago. I would like to think that, together and with the help of our very talented friends, we might be able to absorb the last of the curse into ourselves in some way. Do you think that you might be able to help him become coherent enough to merge with a body that was prepared and nearby?

After relaying all of the Father's responses, Reid shrugs and asks:

I can think of nothing more at the moment. Do any of you have questions for the Father?

Lochar
2008-03-28, 10:07 PM
Reid:
Father Illian says that if you wish to, you could draw Rico into you now and follow his path to Pelor's Light. To share, you are the one that must give of yourself. Abel's mental voice tells you.

Toliudar
2008-03-28, 10:20 PM
Reid

Reid shares Father Illian's words, and shrugs at his companions.

It may not be tonight, but it seems clear to me that I will need to walk this path with Rico. His sacrifice cannot go unanswered.

But...I will forebear, if you feel that we must first free that man from the jail.

Greyen
2008-03-29, 01:56 AM
Dothen

Dothen's voice comes from near the door. How long does it take Reid? We can wait a bit. Or if need be we can get Kjapp later.

Lochar
2008-03-29, 08:06 AM
Passing the question along, you all will find out that it requires Reid to be asleep for thirty minutes before dawn until whenever the test is finished after dawn.

Toliudar
2008-03-29, 09:38 AM
Reid

Certainly, I will want to spend some time in prayer before. And I have reserved a Sending, which I would like to use to reach Sarai. I would need to return an hour or two before dawn.

Of course, it would also be helpful if we didn't do anything over the next few hours that lead to a city-wide search for us. Not all of us are experts in hiding.

He manages a small smile, despite the serious circumstances.

Perhaps we could go speak to Kjapp again. If he has found some way to shield himself - witness his ability to resist the dreams for the last two weeks - then waiting until morning, when there are no spirits to track him until he leaves the town, might be a very good thing.

Greyen
2008-03-30, 01:44 AM
Dothen

Dothen calls from the doorway. Just as easy to get Kjapp out during the day. But why are spirits coming before someone who lives and breathes?

Toliudar
2008-03-30, 09:22 AM
Reid

Reid shrugs.

I have spoken with Abel and the others here, and the loss of their own bodies certainly seem to have made them no less alive, no less passionate and eager for life.

Kjapp seems to be in no immediate danger, and if his care in his confinement is inadequate, he certainly didn't mention. His confinement, while certainly unjust, it seems, has lasted for two weeks.

Rico has, it seems, spent years trapped torn between two kinds of existence, after a great leap of faith and courage that he seems to have taken in order to save others.

If I thought that Kjapp was in pressing danger, I would agree to find a way to free him now, and sneak back later to attempt to merge with Rico. But if we free Rico first, there's no indication that it will be harder to free Kjapp. Indeed, if it helps us unwind any part of the curse, it might make it considerably easier.

But you're right, Dothen, the early morning may be the best time to strike for Kjapp. Those in human forms will not yet be fully about their business, and the spirits will have vanished.

Greyen
2008-03-30, 10:14 AM
Dothen

Reid, you got me wrong. I just wanted to know which was more important. Honestly if you can free the one that is more screwed than the rest than do it. Take all the time you need. We can free Kjapp in broad daylight, actually that may be a better plan anyway. If we are 'here' for the ceremonial stuff with you, we couldn't be freeing Kjapp. Dothen's grin shows itself once again thinking about a broad daylight caper.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-30, 12:48 PM
Hist

And breaking into the prison at night will have the guards spirits on us, no matter how well we conceal it from their earth-bound cousins. Best to work here first.

Toliudar
2008-03-30, 02:34 PM
Reid

Reid smiles, and settles in.

All right, then. I appreciate having each of you with me.

As I understand it, the old ceremony involved prayer and work prior to the dawn, at which time I will slip into a place in between our realm and heaven, called the Light. If I can go there with Rico, there is a chance that he will be able to complete the test, for better or worse, and move beyond this "stuck" state. Of course, I also hope that, if he succeeds in the test, he will be able to work with Father Illian and the four of us to circumvent this curse.

I will, presumably, be starting by taking Rico into myself. Given the fragmented nature of both his body and spirit, I don't know what that will be like. I will...be trusting the three of you to stop my body from doing anything too destructive.

Unless there's anything else, then, I suppose I'd better get started. I don't think I've ever been so nervous about falling asleep.

Reid manages a feeble grin, responds to any last questions from his companions, then steps away for a bit. Facing a side wall, and reaches out with his prayers to Sarai.

Beloved. We've found a town a few days south. Cursed, different and same from yours. I'm trying something to help fellow priest. Love you.

After some fervent and brief mumbled prayers, he pulls out his bedroll, lays out his mace next to himself - more as a talisman than as protection, and tries to relax into sleep.

Lochar
2008-03-30, 03:00 PM
Reid:
Good luck, my heart. I will be waiting for your good news. Kisha and Krista both say hello. All my love.

It takes you a few moments to settle down, the restful crystal attached to your armor taking a moment to make the armor actually seem padded and comfortable, almost as if it were a blanket instead of a layer of steel.

As soon as you are comfortable, any doubts about having issue falling asleep are banished, as you actually feel exhausted and tired and you quickly, easily, and noiselessly slip off into sleep.

Reid:
OOC:This is where you would normally make a will save, but as you're voluntarily trying this, you're also failing the save.

You feel something drag across your spirit, only your knowledge that something would happen keeps you from fighting it, as you feel something inside your body get let loose.

You are suddenly awake, or something to that effect. Looking around, you can see Grazys, Hist, and Dothen, although the three of them look flimsy and only translucent, as you would think you would see a ghost.

There are also six new people in the room. Two men in simple peasant clothing look to be twins, down to the long braid of black hair that hangs behind each of them. One of them stands next to a woman with burgundy red hair, who is watching the boy near the symbol of Pelor. The boy, Rico you assume, is as he was described. You can see his arm connected to his shoulder and side which are only partially there. The side of his body that exists travels down, his leg connected there as well. Everywhere else his body should be is a radiant light that seems to banish all shadows in the room.

Standing next to Rico is a man in simple clerical clothes of a bygone era. The symbol of Pelor hangs from his neck, and he looks at you with wisdom in his eyes.

The last man is in a well-made set of clothing, a dark green color. He has brown hair that is also pulled back, this time into a pony tail.

This man, the twins, and the woman bow to you. "Master." they intone.

The priest gives you a look, before looking at the four.

Looking down at your sleeping body, you can see a thin thread that travels from where your heart is there towards you. Looking down at your own body, you find that you are dressed in the simple underclothing that you normally wear under your armor.

Though, your mace is hanging from a loop, allowing easy access to it.

Toliudar
2008-03-30, 03:22 PM
Reid

Reid takes a few moments to take all of this strangeness in, especially the "looking down at his own body" part.

The spirits' greeting startles him, and he raises both hands.

"Master"? No, no, I never sought...oh, right. The control seems to extend to this, this mode as well. Well, I hereby release all four of you. Instead, I hope to greet you as a new friend. Abel, Elyham, Kim, Matthew.

Reid experiments with "walking" towards the four of them to shake their hands. And then will approach to Father Illium.

Father, I am Reid den Birchcliff, son of Heirius and Gedri den Birchcliff. I offer my services as a humble servant of the Father of Light, and beg your guidance in how best to help this man.

He glances at Rico, marvelling at the presence and absence so completely concurrent in the man.

Lochar
2008-03-30, 03:51 PM
Reid:
The four shake their heads for a moment, and then look at you again. You are able to shake their hands, and as you shake Matthew's, he hits you upside the head lightly. "Just don't do that again, alright?"

Father Illian nods. "I pray you will be able to save Rico, Raidente Reid. I will need to tell you how the ritual normally works, and what I think we will need to do to include Rico in this."

Illian looks at the others, and they nod and walk away, passing through the doors.

Grazys:

About five to ten minutes after Reid falls asleep, four of the spirits depart.

Reid:
Illian continues once they have left. "You would have been put into a magical slumber and have your soul drawn into this room, normally, but with the curse, all sleeping souls are drawn out of their body, regardless of where their are.

I would have then followed you into sleep and appeared before you as it is now.

The ritual normally begins with meditation, inside a prepared area of darkness, as it is always darkest before the dawn. At the moment of dawn's arrival, you must break the darkness with your magics, and then draw the light into you. Rico was an acolyte of Pelor and managed this part."

Illian looks to the boy. "What happens next, is your soul is drawn from the mortal plane, into Pelor's Light. Rico was partially drawn there, but the curse will not let any of us leave the walls of this town, even now."

Father Illian looks to you. "You must share in Rico's test, and draw the two of you together. When someone of this town forcibly takes control over a body, the spirit snaps the cord that bonds your soul to your body. To share, you must loop your own cord around the person you will share with, and tie yourself together with them. Do that and the person you choose to share with with be drawn into your body. Then when you awaken, you share in your position. And you are then safe from being brought here again apparently, as I have seen none of those who have shared or taken roam the city since."

Father Illian puts his hand on your shoulder. "It is a large request we put to you, Raidente. I can understand if you do not wish to share your body with another."

Toliudar
2008-03-30, 04:58 PM
Reid

The priest takes Matthew's gentle reproof in the spirit it was intended. As the four depart, he calls after them.

Again, my deepest apologies, and I wish you the life - or death - you choose.

Listening carefully to Father Illian's instructions, Reid tries not to hesitate.

I will. I will undertake this test with Rico, and share with him the consequences. There are still some hours before the dawn, but I will use them in meditation, prayer, and - perhaps - in reaching out to Rico himself. Father, I thank you for your guidance, and pray that soon, your years of diligence and watchfulness will reach a happy end.

Awkwardly, Reid reaches out with both hands for the strand binding him to the still, ghostly form of his body. It was strange to feel the pale, subtle pulse in the thread, and realize that that was all there was to his life. All of his past struggles and battles, all of his hopes for the future - for the future of this continent, and his own future with Sarai - could be cut with a child's knife.

Lord Pelor, if it is your wish that I join in prayer and exaltation of you with this, your servant Rico, then let it be. Let it be a true and open joining, freely given.

Softly, slowly, Reid takes his own life-cord and looped it around the arm and chest of the one named Rico. And prays very hard.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-30, 05:06 PM
Hist

Looking at the sleeping Reid. Hist smiled, as he speaks aloud to his friends without turning.

Might well be a bad idea, but I'm tempted to get some sleep myself. I wish I'd gotten one of those little rings sometimes.

Lochar
2008-03-30, 08:12 PM
Reid:
The loop of your life's cord goes around the younger's body, and you feel something that feels like pure light being poured into it, as the visible portions of Rico's body fade away, drawn into your cord.

All that remains of Rico's spirit now is a figure of bright light, that your cord is still wrapped around. No attempts to remove the cord from the light will work.

In your mind, you hear something. Hello... Goodbye... Welcome... Go Away!!!

Help me... I'm doing this alone... Pelor preserve me... Pygas take you!!!

Father Illian nods. "Not what I had hoped, but the portal to Pelor's Light for Rico seems to still be opened, although you have Rico's spirit inside you. At dawn, we will start the ritual anew, and you will stand as Rico did, and follow his path."

Toliudar
2008-03-30, 11:29 PM
Reid

Reid nods to Father Illium, and clutches the pure light.

Reid tries to find a way to reach out to the fragments of Rico's mind, to reassure him and pull him together. He repeats this over and over for quite some time.

Rico. Listen carefully. My name is Ried. I am a friend, and a fellow of the Radiente. At dawn, we will take the test together. My strength will be your strength - your wisdom my wisdom. We will move together in the light, as Pelor wills.

Greyen
2008-03-31, 01:09 AM
Dothen

Dothen whispers back at Hist. Sleep now if you can my friend. Who knows when we can get rest for a bit. If you can't sleep safely in the house of Pelor then where can you? You know I will keep watch.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 01:59 AM
Hist

The warlock turns, and bows in sincere gratitude

Thank you, my friend

With that, he dropped to the floor, seemingly not caring about it's stone nature, his face still smiling as he finally began to relax and sleep.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 06:27 AM
Hist:
Will save please.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 08:17 AM
So much for safe:smalltongue: :smallamused:

[roll0] Thank you DooL.EDIT or not...

Lochar
2008-03-31, 08:41 AM
Hist:
As you quickly and effortlessly fall asleep, you only have time for the thought that you're falling asleep a little too easily...

After what seems to be only moments asleep, you find yourself standing again. Looking around, you see Dothen and Grazys, both of their bodies seem flimsy and translucent. Your own body is lying down nearby where you went to sleep, and there is a thin cord traveling from the heart of your body to you. Out of all the equipment you're body is wearing or has near it, only your cape seems to have traveled over to your spirit body, along with the simple traveling clothes you wear.

Looking around, you see Reid and another man in clerical clothing, along with what looks like a standing human body of a older child, except the body is made of nothing but light. Reid's lifecord goes between him and his body, but also wraps around the body of light.

Reid is dressed in his simple clothes as well, even though he is armored where he sleeps. His mace hangs from a simple loop on a belt.

The priest looks at you and sighs, shaking his head slightly.

Reid:
As you are communing with Rico, you hear Father Illian sigh and shake his head slightly. Looking at him, he is looking at something behind you.

If you turn around, you see Hist standing there, his own spirit tied to it's body with his lifecord. His cape seems to stand out ever so slightly from the rest of his clothing, both drawing your attention to it but also trying to blend in with his other clothing.

Reid and Hist:

"I bid you welcome to the temple of Pelor. I do wonder what made you wish to sleep when you knew the results though." Father Illian says to Hist.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 08:49 AM
Hist

Hist looked somber as he rose, though not surprised. He bowed low to the two Priests.

Simple mortal tiredness I fear Father.. I am sorry if this interrupts anything, but I have no means by which to remain eternally awake. If it is better, I shall depart, and stand vigil outside the temple.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 08:57 AM
Reid/Hist:

"You may stay, as I have already gone over the ritual with Reid, although I will ask that you leave when we begin the ritual near dawn." Father Illian says. "Although, if you leave the temple, I do suggest you not wander far. Your life's cord is easily severed if you are not able to protect it, and it will stretch out as far as you go."

Reid:
Any comments you make to the spirit of Rico inside you always returns two answers in the same voice, one a positive to your statement, the other a harsh negative.

GimliFett
2008-03-31, 09:04 AM
Grazys Senneker

Lost in his thoughts it takes Grazys a bit to recognize Hist, too had laid down to rest. Looking down at the ring on his hand, he smiles, glad to have the item. He looks over to Dothen. "When d'ya wanna split sleep? I've always been a bit of a night owl, myself, anyway," he adds with a chuckle.

Suddenly remembering something else he'd noticed but not registered, Grazys' eyes widen a moment. "Oh. I think Reid released his posse from his control a bit ago."

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 09:09 AM
Hist

Of course Father. As you say. This way, we have a guardian against any spirits who may interfere with the ritual

He looks round, and notices the cloak.

Hmm...?

He looks closer at his fold, concentrating on trying to use the sight arcane

[roll0]Spellcraft and [roll1] Knowledge arcana on why the cloak's still around

Greyen
2008-03-31, 09:10 AM
Dothen

Dothen's words carry from somewhere by the door About noonish I think I'll nap. Not during the night that's for sure.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 09:16 AM
Hist:
The cloak is as it was when you were in your normal body.

GimliFett
2008-03-31, 09:21 AM
Grazys Senneker

Shrugging, Grazys looks around the temple. "Fair 'nuff. I'll stay up a bit, ta keep ya company, then I'll grab a catnap."

After a long pause, he speaks up once more. "D'ya know how long it's been since I've spent a lot of time in a temple? Not since I left the church of Heironeous - to my father's eternal irritation - 'bout twelve years ago. I'm usually not exactly welcome in 'em, given my heretical profession. Heretical in tha eyes of those who know of binders. Others just assume I'm dealin' with devils... They wouldn't be far off these days, I'm afraid. Though I've always felt it's not the tool but tha use of tha tool that determines good or ill, ya know?"

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 09:27 AM
Hist

Hm... Ho hum. I'll be outside, best to keep as much watch as possible..

With that, Hist left the temple. Only after he had passed the doors did he feel like experimenting, drawing upon a little of his power, a black flick around one hand, to ensure that he could defend himself

Just testing that the El Blast works.

Greyen
2008-03-31, 09:29 AM
Dothen

Dothen speaks low barely audible by loud enough to be heard in the empty chamber That's all beyond me. Devils, demons, spirits they all go 'squick' when stuck in the right way. Tha's all a simple man like me needs ta know. I leave all that woogie junk to you guys. I'll open tha doors and poke'm where it hurts, you guys do the rest.

GimliFett
2008-03-31, 09:32 AM
Grazys Senneker

Chuckling softly, Grazys nods his head. "Fair 'nuff, Dothen. I'll see if I can keep up my end of the bargain!"

Lochar
2008-03-31, 09:47 AM
Hist:
You actually feel a separation of power, as part of your power channels from your soul self, and another portion of it travels through your life cord from your body. The further you get from your body, the longer it will take to draw enough power to blast with. At the moment, the delay isn't very noticeable, but it would get worse if you were to go further away.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 09:57 AM
Hist

Ah. Best to stay at the doors.

In fact....

With a few thoughts, Hist tried to see if he could disappear in this state.

The best guardian is one who can't be seen

[roll0] Spot on everything that can be seen from here (Including things in the sky), regardless of the success of invisability.Not all night yet, Hist's just taking things in

Lochar
2008-03-31, 11:47 AM
Everyone inside the temple can see Hist's body slowly fade away, and then the thread tying body and spirit fade away as well.

Hist:
You fade away as well. And don't see anything.

Toliudar
2008-03-31, 11:49 AM
Reid

Okay if we insert this before you try going invisible, MW?

Emerging from his reverie of contact with Rico, Ried is - to say the least - pleasantly surprised to see Hist there in a seemingly solid state - which was to say, not all a solid state.

Hist! Is everything all right? I've got some time before I need to start the ritual. I suppose I could try to wake up if you need me "out there."

I'm getting flashes of two voices from Rico. I'm beginning to suspect that he's become a focal point for the curse - embodying both the darkness and the light. At dawn, I'll be trying to take the test alongside him, whatever that will entail. I'd say that, if nothing's happened to me by a couple hours after daybreak...well, you should probably assume it's not going to.

He is sombred by the thought.

Oh, have you two been introduced? Histantos, Father Illian.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 11:56 AM
Hist

Lochar and Reid
Sure
Hist listened attentively, then patted the priest on the shoulder.

Don't worry about it, Reid. No matter what the corruption, you are taking a test of your god. You'll survive, I have no doubt of that.

He bowed to the father again

Pardon my manners father. I've never been the type.

He thinks for a moment.

Probably best if I stand guard outside. I should be enough to stop spiritual visitors. Dothen and Grazys can more than handle any of the town guards. You need to focus on the test. Any ideas as to how?

Lochar
2008-03-31, 12:29 PM
Reid/Hist:
Father Illian nods to Hist. "I bid you welcome, although I wish it were under different circumstances, Histantos."

OOC:
If you guys don't have anything else to discuss, I'll go ahead and move you forward to the test at dawn.

Toliudar
2008-03-31, 12:40 PM
Reid

Lochar and Hist:
Reid shrugs at Hist's words of encouragement.

I will follow the will of Pelor, Hist. And I will risk your derision enough to add that it is good to see you in such a place of worship as well. As He says, "There are many directions for the light to travel."

As for what the nature of the test will be...it's been some time since we used this ritual on Pyros. The old writings spoke of a place, a place where Pelor's Light is all. The nature of the testing is private, and perhaps different for each individual. I have never read of two people undertaking it together, but these are rather extraordinary circumstances. To say the least.

It seems that parts of Rico are already there, whereas parts of them here seem tainted, angry, perhaps tainted by the curse. At dawn, with Father Illian's guidance, I will cross over into that place - presumably, taking these parts of Rico with me, to help him become complete again. Together, we will face the test. If Pelor wills, we will return - possibly remaining bonded as two souls in one body - and will hopefully awaken with you.

It's unclear to me whether any prayers I bring into force here will have any impact on Pelor's Light. Frankly, I'm open to suggestions, but I must believe that Pelor will give me the tools to succeed, if I have the wisdom and courage to hold them.

If there is any manifestation of me that remains here, it would certainly be a comfort to have you nearby, able to provide your own advice and courage. I don't know why any of the un-bodied spirits would try to stop this process, or even if they could, but your watchfulness here would be a comfort.

The manifestation of Reid settles during the conversation into a comfortable cross-legged position on the ground. Then, thinking of his own state and his body lying nearby, he experimentally tries to rise up off the ground while in that sitting position.

Lochar:
Just in case there's something more Reid might recall about the test (not that you haven't already given good background, but what the heck): [roll0] Knowledge Religion.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 01:04 PM
Reid:
Nope, you can't recall anything Father Illian hasn't already covered.

Hist/Reid:
Reid manages to wobble up into the air from his meditating position. It is very shaky, but he is visibly floating.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 01:18 PM
Hist

Hist met Reid's gaze at his words. His smile is gradual, and his eyes glow, ever so slightly. He is evidently speaking from the heart.

You'll hear nothing from me on that. I knew his house before now. Long ago. And who knows, perhaps I will again. "His light touches every shadow, and will, in time, bring it back into His light..."

He trails off, old old memories retuning in force. It's a few seconds before he speaks

And this is an ancient ritual. It could well result in some sort of grand display. If others can see it... well, they might be able to guess what it means. If it will leave these spirits in rest, send them to their next life after a glimpse at another of their own... well, some might not be willing to accept that. I don't know. But I hate putting people at risk.

I have no idea what you'll need, but, as you say, you will be able to trust to His light, and beneficence. I've no doubt Pelor is still in the end master of this test.

My hope and belief goes with you, and my magic and soul are at your back. I don't know what the blessing of a warlock is worth, one who is unworthy of his line, and those above, but rest assured my friend, you have it.

With that, and a salute, Hist went to the door.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 02:05 PM
Kjapp:
Go ahead and make a Will save then.

Greymist
2008-03-31, 02:43 PM
Will save: [roll0]

Lochar
2008-03-31, 02:49 PM
Kjapp:
You again find yourself outside your body, a single thread tying body and soul together.

Standing in the corner of your room are the spirits of two guards. As usual, neither are armed, but they do seem to be ready to fight. Again, as usual.

"We're getting tired of waiting on you to just give in and let us take your body. So, tonight, you're going to have to stop us from taking over."

The first spirit steps forward. "Since we've got all the time in the world, we'll play this almost fair. One on one fights, but you get to run the gauntlet."

Init: [roll0]

List your HP and unarmed AC. As long as you stay in the same square as your body, they cannot attack your cord. You have access to any spells you would have memorized that do not require focus or material components.

Toliudar
2008-03-31, 02:51 PM
Reid

As Hist exits, Reid allows his form to float back to the floor. There were some hours before the dawn, it wasn't clear to Reid whether time in this state would pass as readily as it would in his body. He settled in to sift the details of his memories - to purge old hurts and angers, to embrace old friends and family, to recapture the vividness of the stories of Pelor's deeds and teachings as if for the first time.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 03:10 PM
Reid:
Time does seem more fluid, as it both races forward to dawn, but lasts long enough for you to touch upon all that is important in your life.

In what might be moments or days, later, you feel a tap on your shoulder. Looking up, Father Illian is standing before you.

"It is time, Reid."

He directs you to kneel in the exact place that your soul's cord is bound around the light infused 'body' of Rico. As you do, you feel the light there extinguish as it is absorbed into your body.

Father Illian speaks now, raising his voice.

Reid/Hist:

Father Illian speaks now, raising his voice. "Histantos. We begin now. Please do not come near, and do not let any other cross the threshold. I will not be able to turn them back while this is going on."

Father Illian's voice then gets lower, speaking only to Reid again.

Reid:

"I will now summon the darkness before the dawn. As I have not been able to pray to Lord Pelor for his magics since before the curse, this is the last magics I have that may invoke the ritual. This is the only chance you will have, Reid. Are you ready?"

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 03:15 PM
Hist

The warlock is silent as the father speaks. But at his words, the warlock redoubles his vigilance

Any who come this way will find only another death.

[roll0] Spot

Lochar
2008-03-31, 03:18 PM
Hist:
Nothing passes by your vigil as you keep watch.
I'm allowing 20 being taken at the moment for this, as you're apparently completely and utterly focused on doing this.

Toliudar
2008-03-31, 03:18 PM
Reid

Reid rises at Father Illian's words. He glances at the departing Hist, and at the shadowy forms of his other two steadfast companions. His thumb brushes the place where a wooden ring normally rests. His other hand comes to rest on the haft of his mace.

I am ready.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 03:22 PM
Well, if he isn't, he's going to loose control of his body, and a high power ritual might be disrupted. And everyone could be at risk then.Anything less than total focus would be embarrassing. So he's outright refusing to think about anything else; not even reminiscing. He's acting the ideal sentry rather well.
Hist

The warlock doesn't relax at the first signs of nothing. After all, nothing has happened yet. He keeps guard well.

AS he looks out into the shadows, he begins to see other times when he has stood guard alone. Battles, wars... some are uncomfortable memories

Focus. Otherwise you'll bring dishonor to your name.

It's borne that before. But yes. vigilance is even more essential now..

Lochar
2008-03-31, 03:32 PM
Reid:
"Kneel then, and pray."

When you do so, Father Illian comes and stands behind you and you hear his voice.

Hist/Reid:

Father Illian's voice rises high.
"When the dawn rises, all is well. When the sun comes, all is seen."

Illian touches Reid's left shoulder for a moment.

"But before the dawn, darkness dwells. We gather the darkness now, so it may be disbursed by the light of our god, Pelor, he who is the Light."

Illian then touches Reid's right shoulder for but a second.

"Darkness grows, and the heart is cast into it's shadow. He whose heart rises above shadow and glows with radiance may cast aside the shadow and bring forth the dawn."

Father Illian touches the sun symbol on his chest, before the whole temple is blanketed in utter darkness, reaching out to the very threshold of the temple. The shadows stop at the point of entry at all the doors and windows, but still seem to bleed out.

Grazys/Dothen:
The room you are in seems to dim, shadows gathered in the corners get longer and seem to reach out towards each other, attempting to blanket the room and remove all traces of light. What light you two may carry dim to nearly nothing. Darkvision drops to a mere five feet into shadow, beyond which you cannot see anything.

Reid:
As the complete and utter darkness comes forth, a stray thought crosses your mind.

How long have you been promised to Sarai? Yet even when your prayers include thoughts of her, Pelor does not give blessing or denial to this. Does he truly bless your love for her?
OOC:Do answer the questions, as it's required.

Moral Wiz
2008-03-31, 03:38 PM
Hist

At the conclusion of the prayer, Hist turned around to the chapel for a moment; just in time to note the creeping darkness.

So. It begins.

With that, he returns to his duty, resuming his vigil

GimliFett
2008-03-31, 03:40 PM
Grazys Senneker

Noticing the deppening darkness, Grazys purses his lips and tries to peer into the corners. Instead he focuses his senses on keeping tabs on the various spirits in the area.

"This could prove troublesome. 'Parently I should've bound Geryon to see into deeper and magical darkness. How 'bout you, Dothen?"

Greymist
2008-03-31, 03:48 PM
HP: 88
AC: 12
Init: [roll0]

Lochar
2008-03-31, 03:55 PM
Kjapp:
The guard steps forward and swings at you.
Attack: [roll0]
CC: [roll1]
Unarmed Damage: [roll2]

Remember to take the -4 to attack if you want to make unarmed attack hurt, unless you've got improved unarmed.

Greymist
2008-03-31, 04:07 PM
"My body is my own, you can bet I'm going to stop you taking it"

You can make itterative attacks with unarmed right? - I'm going to regret taking the non combatant flaw now. Taking -4 for dealing lethal damage, though I am wondering how subdual/leathal works here.

Attack1:[roll0]
Crit1:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]

Attack2:[roll3]
Crit2:[roll4]
Damage:[roll5]

Lochar
2008-03-31, 04:13 PM
Kjapp:

You'll just have to find that out, won't you?

Shaking off the effects of your fists, the guard strikes out again.

A1: [roll0]
CC: [roll1]
D: [roll2]

A2: [roll3]
CC: [roll4]
D: [roll5]

A3: [roll6]
CC: [roll7]
D: [roll8]

OOC:Hooray for TWF. :P

Greymist
2008-03-31, 04:31 PM
HP:83

Attack1:[roll0]
Crit1:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]

Attack1:[roll3]
Crit1:[roll4]
Damage:[roll5]

OOC:
If only Kjapp was a quincy and could manifest a spirit bow. I just noticed also that cure light wounds doesn't require DF or M. Unfortunately, no ranks in concentration.

Toliudar
2008-03-31, 05:29 PM
Reid

As the darkness looms, Reid strives neither to falter nor to act hastily to counteract the darkness. Without the darkness, the light has no shape.

As the question comes unbidden to his mind, Reid struggles with a moment of despair. How could his love for such a creature - a creature of the shadow-realm, a creature that had been tainted by years of the curse - be a source of joy to his lord? Had he chosen rashly, and against his lord's blessings.

Here, then, he was doubly thankful to have meditated so recently upon the teachings of Lord Pelor and his church. For Reid recalled the pronouncement of the Diet of Ankheg, which proclaimed - among other things - once and for all that love for another did not preclude a sufficient love for Lord Pelor, and opened the door for sanctioned marriage among the clergy. He remembered the stirring passage well.

We are not meant to walk alone in the light, but to entwine flames and burn the brighter with our generosity and love. Neither shall the lord bid us funnel our love in one direction or another, as does a master with a slave, but takes joy in the joy of all of those who find this path to divine love.

In the darkness, Reid gives voice to his thoughts.

I do not require proof of my Lord Pelor's blessing of my love for Sarai, any more than I require proof of the warmth of his sunshine. I hold his love, incontrovertible, in my heart, and will admit no bounds to it.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 06:09 PM
Reid:The darkness seems to grow in strength at your words, pressing in against you. Minutes seem to pass, beforethe weight of the darkness evens seems to gain a voice, one you have never heard before. What of the warlock? He went to sleep, knowing what would happen. He came to disrupt your ritual. Contract in blood with demons, he only waits for the best time to strike. He was no help against the demons you fought.