PDA

View Full Version : Wastes of Shello - Group 2

Pages : [1] 2

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-20, 04:11 PM
Wastes of Shello

Del Margatta, City by the Sea

A small fishing community on the north-eastern coast of Tanzen, known for how absolutely unknown it is and it's fish. It bares one main feature that is more well known than the town itself; a ferry to the western coast of Shello. An armor covered boat, tied to it is several corpses of successfully killed rageforged warriors. The captain is said to be the craziest old man on the continent for braving the island countless times. Venturing there, however, has rendered him with one arm, one eye, no legs and skin completely covered in scars.
Today, the weather is as foul as can be, heavy, freezing rain that has been pouring down for days now. Not many people walk outside in this weather and for good reason. Despite this, the old Captain Harkum Dawn stands on his boat with a brave smile hidden under his ragged grey beard. A large sign with red paint on it reads 'BRAVE ADVENTERERS COME EN GO TA SHELLO TODEY, 100 GOLD PECES A FELLAR ER LADEE' As anyone might know, Captain Dawn is not the world's most intelligent man.
The time is high noon, not that you can tell from the heavy rain-clouds.

Jack Mann
2008-04-20, 05:10 PM
A somewhat tall elf approached the captain. He was dressed in fine gray black and silver robes. He carried a backpack and a quarterstaff. His hair is very light blond, almost white. His features are fine, almost handsome. However, only one half of his face is visible. The other half is hidden by an ivory half-mask, with silver inlays tracing delicate patterns that glint in what little light is available. He doesn't seem bothered by the rain, though it plasters his hair to his head, and runs down the mask. His one visible eye, violet in color, flickers around, though his face doesn't move with it.

"Ex...cuse me," he said. His voice was an odd sing-song, and there was a strange whistling that accompanied it. "I am looking-for passage... to... Shello, my-good-man." His voice sped up and slowed down oddly. "I am willing-to pay a not... inconsiderable sum. Can we do... business?" He moved up very close to the crippled captain, leaning forward, until his face is mere inches away. His face doesn't appear threatening, merely curious, as though seeing an interesting flower or insect.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-20, 05:16 PM
He grins, showing him missing several teeth, he puts his arms at his side and shifts his feet, all of his mechanical prosthetics creaking as he does. "Yer a strange one, aintcha? Alrigh' let's do business."

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-20, 05:32 PM
Derham blinked, and he saw the sign for passage. He did not know why it was, but he knew that it was of great importance to him. He knew nothing of Shello, or of this nigh-illiterate captain but he walked forward anyway.
Derham, wearing a thin leather vestments walked straight up to the captain, completely unperturbed by the weather.
"Greetings captain" he says with a bow "I saw your sign for passage to Shello, and I felt I could make a deal with you. I have no money to pay your fare, but I can offer any service you may require to pay the due, if you are willing to trust a humble traveller"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-20, 05:41 PM
The old captain, leaning backwards due to the elf uncomfortably close to his face looks over at the strange newcomer. "...By Derkus' beard..." He smiles even wider, "been takin' folk to Shello fer almost fifteen years and the passenger's jus' get stranger. Alrigh' son, what're yeh good at'n worth payin' fer?"

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-20, 10:15 PM
"well sir, I am no sailor, but I have some strength in my bones, and a fight in my heart. If you need it, I can protect your crew, I could haul crates, as long as you don't need a cook, I can offer my help for anything"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-20, 10:22 PM
"Got any talent fer killin' a crankshaft? I like 'em as trophies teh line me ship with." He points to the dead rageforged tied to the front of his boat like grim figureheads. "If'n you can work on me boat until we get ter Shello and you can get me a body er two, I'd be more 'n happy tah give yeh safe passage."

Vaynor
2008-04-20, 10:24 PM
Astrus Bellakin, seeing the sign, walks up towards the man holding it. He is dressed in immaculately kept shining armor, with a golden sword across his back and shield hovering at his side. To his right struts a large, golden hippogryph clad in chain barding. Astrus has a worn look, as though he has fought many battles. His face is marred with many scars, but his bright blue eyes shine as strong as ever. He wipes his long black hair from in front of his face and addresses the ferryman.

"Good day sir, I am seeking passage to Shello. I have enough money, if you would like me to pay you now." Astrus smiles as he takes his money bag from his backpack, and smiles warmly at the man.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-20, 10:32 PM
Captain Harkum's attention is temporarily torn from the Hellbred and toward the newcomer, a look of surprise on his old face. "Derkus must be smilin' down on me with his shinin' coral teeth. Three customers in a day! Now ye'll tell me all o' you 're gonna survive... I'll take the gold if'n you please, sir!"

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-21, 12:36 AM
Crankshaft? I am not familiar with the term. Are they soldiers, and you keep their armor? because if that's the case, I could not kill people for sport.

"Not anymore" he mutters under his breath.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-21, 12:39 AM
Captain Harkum appears to be incredibly capable of splitting his attention between several different people, "Y'know, crankshaft, a 'forged! And they aint no men, they're beasts they is... And it aint jus' their armor, no. Those'd be their bodies. If'n you wanna see what they look like a bit closer I reckon you'd be welcome to."

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-21, 12:49 AM
"I suppose I have no choice. If you will give me passage to Shello, I will promise you all the 'crankshafts' that you wish.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-21, 12:58 AM
"Good man, good man!" He gives him a hardy couple of pats on the back. "Feel free ter get on board'n make yerself at home!"

Adumbration
2008-04-21, 02:00 AM
Gale Stormdancer

Gale Stormdancer, a slim man dressed in a simple light brown robe and cloak, decorated only by an amulet and a set of black fabric glowes covering his hands, approached the ship. The hood of his cloak was drawn back, revealing a mane of fine black hair and a handsome face of a man in his early thirties.

He felt... elated. A combination of the coming storm and the beginning journey caused a refreshing feeling in him, a joy of sorts. In short, he felt a tinge of happiness.

The sign made him suppress a smile, as did the combination of the captain's outlook and the smile on his face.

"Ah, captain Dawn, I presume? I heard that you are taking people to Shello, and I would like to join. I can pay either by gold or by magic. A hundred gold pieces or favorable winds when ever you wish." He smiled. The cost wasn't much either way - he was no poor man, and his magic wasn't either.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-21, 03:02 AM
Captain Dawn looks from Derham to Gale. "Aye lad, I be captain Dawn at yer service. That's an awful temptin' offer... The ol' woman's got a thick layer of armor on 'er... so she's awful slow despite tha sails." He looks contemplative for a moment, holding his mechanical prosthetic to his chin. "Alrigh', I aint no awful poor man neither, I'll take yer magic, lad!"

Adumbration
2008-04-21, 08:47 AM
Gale Stormdancer

"Ah, but how impolite of me! Did I interrupt something?" He says, turning to the others, and with a graceful bow: "My name is Gale, Gale Stormdancer. A pleasure to meet you."

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-21, 12:04 PM
Derham gives a solemn nod to Gale "no worries sir, we were all just securing passage, like yourself. I'm sure the good Captain Dawn doesn't mind so many takers in so little time, and so neither will I."

TheMeanDM
2008-04-21, 02:42 PM
The whispered words in the moonlit back alleys, the hushed stories told at midnight in a dark tavern--they all pointed to a new threat originating in Shello. This information said that something...diabolic...was organizing in Shello. Nestarion had received word from one of his 'brothers' in the Benediction that something...sinister...was a-foot. Though not a true blood-brother, Nestarion and the members of the Abaddon Benediction were linked in spirit--they all sought to confront and undermine the machinations of the the supposed 'lords' of Hell.

The imposing figure was unconcerned about his appearance. His heavily muscled frame was sheathed in deep, blood-red flesh. Crowning his head were two enormous horns, as black as the darkest midnight.

He strode powerfully down the small hill toward the dock, a smile upon his face. He had a slight bounce in his step, as if things were "right" in his world. Truth be told, he was actually looking forward to aiding his hellbred allies.

Seeing the group of people huddled around the crippled man, Nestarion walked closer to the people.

"A fine day for a sail!" he boomed loudly. "It seems that I am not the only one to think so!" he laughed heartily. "Which one of you is the captain of this sturdy vessel?" he asked, his calwed hand pointing a black-nailed finger at the large, armored ship.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-21, 06:41 PM
Captain Dawn's eyes seemed to bug like no other. "Buh-uh, er... I be the captain of this old woman," he gestures to the armored ship, "Captain Harkum Dawn, atcher service, mate." He holds his prosthetic arm out to shake, still seeming a little hesitant around Nestarion.
"And if'n y'don't mind me askin', what in the Nine Hells are yeh?"

Vaynor
2008-04-21, 07:30 PM
Astrus takes out the hundred gold pieces and hands them to the captain, then turns to look at Gale. He offers his hand as he speaks, "A pleasure to meet you too, sir." And with that he steps onto the boat and takes a seat at the nearest place of rest, his hippogryph perched on the nearest roof, tower, mast, etc.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-21, 07:42 PM
Nestarion takes the offered hand and shakes it.

"I am one of hell's worst nightmares." he says, grinning and winking at the captain. "A weapon with a mind and will of his own."

He takes a money pouch from his belt. "What is the fare today, friend?" he asks.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-21, 09:38 PM
"A hunnard gold, ya right hellish nightmare." He says with a grin and a closed left eye. "Pay up and sit anywhere yeh like, if'n yah please."

Jack Mann
2008-04-21, 10:30 PM
"One hundred gold, yes," the elf said, muttering a bit. He took a piece of cloth out of his bag. It looked to be a circular tapestry showing a top view of a rather cluttered room. He laid it out on the deck, and it became three-dimensional. He climbed down a ladder, and walked to a desk in the room. He began rummaging around the clutter on a desk. He shifted a shrunken head and a preserved stirge in a jar before finding a small clinking bag. He opened it, gave a small shriek, and then put it back hurriedly. He then pulled out a different small, clinking bag, from which he withdrew some golden coins. Then he reached into a barrel and pulled out a small, oval object, and a waterskin. He then retraced his steps and climbed out of the hole. Finally, he put his fingers on the edge of the hole and lifted it, at which point it became two-dimensional once more. He folded it neatly and put it back in the bag before returning to the captain. "Here you-are," he said. "I... hope it will-be e...nough." Before handing the gold over, he took the small oval object, which was revealed to be a small block of soap. He wet it with the waterskin, lathered it up, and proceeded to wash the captain's hand.

Then he looked over at the tall, horned fellow. "A half-fiend... clearly. Yes. Yes, that's right. Yet... you-say you are... a nightmare for hell. Odd. Very-odd. How curious." He pulled out a vial of an odd colored fluid, which he held in front of his eye as he muttered. "Perhaps... under controlled conditions..." Then he shook his head. "But where... are-my-manners? I am Taraliel du Shorning. I control the fundamental forces that govern life and death. Who are you?"

Ellas Aramond
2008-04-22, 12:51 AM
Vega Siandon

"Altair's right, I've got to be crazy to do this." the young, white-haired woman muttered to herself after seeing the captain's sign. It had been a week she had left The Edge of the Storm, her half-brother's airship, and every time she thought of the famous bard, it made her wonder why she was doing this. Going to Shello on a hunch? This wasn't like the other times she had needed to risk her life. This time, she hadn't received any kind of divine message, or prophecy calling on her to stop some great evil. It just a hunch, a feeling in her elven gut gut that she was needed.

'Well, Altair and Deneb always do whatever they please. Why can't I for once?'

Brushing the single, red streak of hair away from her face, she approaches the captain, muttering a stream of incomprehensible syllables before she reaches them.

"You are still headed or Shello, right Captain?" she says, trying to hide her shyness, "If so, you wouldn't happen to have room for one more, would you?"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-22, 12:58 AM
"Dear me, yer quite the sight, miss. Ah, of course I got room fer yeh!" He walks over and puts his real, non-prosthetic hand on her shoulder, "An' fer someone ah yer appearance I believe I can be so kind as lettin' yeh on fer half price..." Despite his age, it would appear the captain still has a little flare for women-folk...

Ellas Aramond
2008-04-22, 01:12 AM
"Th-that's really not necessary." Vega says as she steps away a few paces, moving her staff between her and the Captain. "I can easily pay in full; but thank you for the compliment."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-22, 02:18 AM
"Alrigh', alrigh', if'n you insist. That'll be a hunnard gold, lass."

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-22, 02:32 AM
Derham

Derham shook his head. It was bad enough that that...monstrous thing was boarding with him, but now the captain was giving passage to this woman. He couldn't decide whether the captain was generous, crazy, brave, or all three, but whatever it was, he felt it was best to rid himself of this. He walked up past the captain and boarded the ship, going below deck to get a sense of his surroundings for the next...however long Shello is.

Adumbration
2008-04-22, 07:15 AM
Gale Stormdancer

After the some general hand-shaking and greetings of the odd group - his hand almost disappeared in the fiendish one's hand - Gale retreated towards the ship, saying as he went: "I'll be at the deck when you need me, captain. Just let me know when we're ready to go, and I'll give ya the wind for her sails."

This would be undoubtably an interesting trip. At least so the type of his fellow travelers promised. The sheer improbability of such a gathering made him smile. A fiendish man, a claimed lord of life and death, not to mention the others. And who knew who else might join this expedition?

Ellas Aramond
2008-04-22, 10:52 AM
Vega nods to the captain, shelling out the necessary coin to him.

"I'll be below decks. Rain isn't exactly my favorite thing to to be in."

TheMeanDM
2008-04-22, 11:50 AM
The red-skinned fiend laughs heartily at the captain's comment. "I think I will sit next to you." he chuckles. "Maybe I'll be able to learn something about sailing." he grins, and then deposits a small purse into the captains lap.

"Pleased to make your acquaintances, Masters du Shorning and Stormdancer. And very pleased to make your acquaintance." he bows with a flourish to the young woman.

"Nestarion, at your service." he says as he rights himself.

Vaynor
2008-04-22, 06:11 PM
Astrus looks at Nestarion oddly, as if summing up his demeanor versus his appearance, and (after a quick detect evil spell) decides to go with the benefit of the doubt, and stands up to greet the fiend.

"Pleasure to meet you, Nestarion; Astrus Bellakin. I must say your appearance is rather... astounding, to say the least." Astrus gives a little half-smile and sits back down, absentmindedly stroking Remy, his hippogryph.

Ellas Aramond
2008-04-22, 08:28 PM
Vega nods to the half-fiend , smiling little, despite her nervousness from the attention she was getting.

"I am Vega Siandon. Follower of Obad-Hai."

Jack Mann
2008-04-22, 09:58 PM
Taraliel snorted, a strangely hollow sound. "Obad-Hai?" He made a dismissive gesture with one hand. "Why... not touch the primal forces for yourself?" His voice became more normal, almost passionate, as he spoke. "The secrets of life and death, of creation and destruction, are there for the grasping. All you need... is to reach out... and take hold..." He stretched out a hand, staring at a single spot in the air for a moment, as though lost in thought. Then he turned to the captain. "Pray, have... you-ever-con... sidered the possibility of another... kind of prosthesis? I can-give you... something a bit better than... your current, mostly... inanimate limbs. I... can make you-stronger. Or faster. Mortals... we are frail-so-frail. But... I can fix that. Better-arms, better... legs. Or tentacles. Claws. You could be so much more than merely... human." There was something hungry in his eyes. He rubbed his gloved hands together, hungrily.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-22, 10:01 PM
Captain Dawn walked up onto the ship after everyone else, giving a somewhat strange look to Taraliel, though not as strange as you might expect. "Like what kin'a? You aint talkin' 'bout a deeplin's arms, are yeh?"

Jack Mann
2008-04-22, 10:14 PM
"If you wish. Or... would a demon's... be more-to-your liking? Possibly you... would prefer the delicate-scent of... the undead? It only takes... a resurrectionist and a shovel. You are... a-man-of-the-world, yes? You know... it is power that... drives great men. Are you... a great man, Mr. Dawn? Do you wish... to be? I can give you... a measure, thereof. There is power... for any man. It only waits to see what you are willing to pay." He reached up to shift his mask slightly, giving the captain a glimpse at his face. "I live, Mr Dawn! I... live. It cost me, but I have gained power. Power that comes from knowledge. Some think to gain this power from the gods, but only by our own hands can we be truly... free. Some say I have gone too far, but they are not willing to go far enough!" His eye took on the gleam of a prophet or madman. "What are you willing to pay? I can help you, Mr. Dawn, but only if you would go far enough!" He calmed, somewhat. "There... are other grafts, of course. Grafts of flesh, grafts... of stone. It is... your decision, of-course."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-22, 10:23 PM
"Al........righ'... I won' tell no one if'n you make sure not ta kill no innocents, alrigh'? But if yer offerin' a new arm or leg..." He examines his old, somewhat rusted metal arm. "S'pose I could get a bran' new metal arm? This'n's a bit rusty in it's age, I reckon. Or maybe I reckon one that'd not rust might be a bit more like'et, like stone yeh say?"

Jack Mann
2008-04-22, 10:36 PM
"Ex...cellent. I shall require... 50,000 gold for the operation. It requires... some expensive materials. This is, naturally... with a discount." He smiles, an odd, almost nervous seeming smile. "We can begin the operation... tonight. Oh!" He arched an eyebrow inquiringly. "Do you-have... a cork? Large... enough, to fit... in-your-mouth?"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-22, 11:04 PM
"Well, eh, got me a ship to captain tonight, how bout' we wait a bit 'til we reach calmer seas and can anchor the ol' woman." He walks up to the deck of the ship and cries out with a great booming voice, "SET SAAAAIL!" As he shouts that, his meager crew begins working all about the ship, setting sails and pulling up multiple anchors.

It's a long while at sea, on the third day the Captain deems it calm enough, with nothing more than a light drizzle overhead to drop anchor and allow Taraliel to do his operation on him, and letting his first mate, Fenn Knight, take over in his recovery and absence from consciousness and the material plane.

By the fifth day, it seems calm enough, barely a cloud in the sky as they sail. The captain seems at first very disturbed by his new grafts... but doesn't take him more than a day to get used to them and yet another to really love his new body-parts. "Ahaha! Terry yeh great ol' elf! If'n I lose 'nother limb I'll come righ' to yah!" Giving him a hardy pat on the back with his new demonic claw... all but the arm he uses to pat him seem energetic and happy through the pat... but the arm itself seems almost like it wants to punch holes in Taraliel.
Right after he finally gets used to the new, unexpected grafts, he pays Taraliel in ancient Shelloen gold coins and many pieces of ancient art and jewelery.

Days eight through twelve are largely uneventful... more intermingling with the crew and the party, you learn some of their names and mannerisms. They all almost seem as insane as Captain Dawn himself, but not nearly as much. The captain himself seems to stand at the bow of the ship, facing the wind with a grin and a squinted eye.

On the thirteenth day... or more accurately the thirteenth night, when all are asleep in their chambers and hammocks, there's a strange creaking in the ship and the sounds of something moving in the water outside...
"AAAUUUGGGHH!!" *splash*
"AT AAARMS!!" And as the captain shouts over the dark ship, there is a deep, unholy moaning coming from the very water beneath the ship...
When everyone's up and on the deck, I'll roll for initiative.

Jack Mann
2008-04-22, 11:23 PM
Taraliel takes a moment to cast several protective spells. He chants a short sea shanty in a long-dead tongue, and his skin glistens with tiny scales.
As he does so, one of his prayer beads begins to glow softly. Then he whispers a soft, paean to darkness, and shadows spring from the floor, covering him like a cloak. Another, and tentacles of darkness spring from the air around him, grasping around like hungry children, looking for sweets. A boast of strength in the language of the titans, and he feels as though nothing can truly harm him (though he knows the lie in this). Finally, he repeats to himself the oath he swore long ago, that nothing would ever stop him from attaining true mastery of the world around him.

Then he walked out of the fine mansion he kept in his hole and climbed out onto the deck.

Casting Scales of the Sea Lord, Armor of Darkness, Crawling Darkness, Superior Resistance, and Extended Conviction, using my bead of karma for a +4 boost to caster level.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-23, 02:43 AM
Derham leaps out of bed, and after a quick prayer, he runs as fast as he can up to the deck.

As soon as he gets topside, he whirls around, looking for the danger.
WHAT IS IT?!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-23, 02:51 AM
Captain Dawn stands on the deck looking far more hard-faced than any of you have ever seen him, wielding a massive, curved blade in his hand. Anyone who looks at it for a moment might recognize it to be of orcish craft. He is not the only one on the deck ready for battle, many of his men stand on board with cutlasses, rapiers, spears and tridents. A bolt of lightning strikes the mast and the rain begins to fall again...
The ocean boils around you as something larger than your ship surfaces. Two tentacles as wide around as a horse rise above you, and then slam down on the deck, gouging long tears in the wooden planks with the sharp barbs at the ends. Six shorter arms reach up, and you can see that rather than barbs, these end in long claws. One latches onto a sailor, hooking him like a worm, and carrying it back. Lightning strikes the mast, and for a moment, you can see the green-grey scales that mark the skin like a mosaic, blending to the slimy, smooth flesh of the undersides. Then the head rises from the waves, and you forget the arms. Water streams down the mangy hair of the head, down to the scales and the slimy flesh. The eyes are larger than you are, and look like a feral dog's. Two mouths are mounted side-by-side, too close together to be used separately. They gnash in unison. They look like the mouths of hyenas, but instead of teeth, only a smooth dark hook extending past the lips, like the mouths had swallowed a pair of gigantic parrots beaks. It flings the dying sailor into those mouths, and he doesn't have time to scream.
Captain Dawn's eye bugs as he sees it. "****"

TheMeanDM
2008-04-23, 07:15 AM
The half-fiend smiles, warmly, but still disconcerting given his fangs, at Astrus. "Indeed, I do not hide my appearance. I let my actions speak for me, and those who are more...open minded...do not, as they say, judge a book by its cover."

Having stayed near the captain in order to learn something of sailing, as he had said, Nestarion caught snatches of the conversation between the captain and Taraliel. Though he did not say anything, he did keep a wary and watchful eye upon the man, and the captain, from the fourth day on.

That man plays with powers which he has no true knowledge of. he thinks to himself, shaking his great horned head in resignation. Let us hope the consequences are not such that he dies before learning his lesson.

The devilish man proves to be a likeable fellow. Though his appearance is certainly unusual and startling (to say the least) he has an easy-going manner about him. Sometimes it comes off as arrogant, though it would seem this is unintentional (a side-effect of being over seven paces tall and looking like he does, you suppose).

He freely shares with any who ask his life's purpose and his "story", telling you that he hopes he will be remembered for what he did and how he lived, instead of for how he looked or his heritage.

At the shout of alarm, Nestarion springs from his bed. He unsheathes his katana and then takes up the large steel shield he had resting against the wall of his room. He sets the shield to floating next to him, and races up to the top deck.

Seeing the huge, tentacled beast, Nestarion calls upon his experience to try and identify the odd beast.

Initiative (1d20+9=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1574824/)

Knowledge: Planes / Nature (1d20+10=16, 1d20+4=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1574825/)

Try and identify the beast as natural, abomination, or other-worldly (outsider).

As he readies himself, he accomplishes the following:
1) swift - Dancing Blade Form (stance)
2) size Katana to Large

Readied Maneuvers for the day:
Warblade (4)
1. Emerald Razor
2. Ironheart Surge
3. Steely Strike
4. Claw at the Moon

Swordsage (4)
1. Flashing Sun
2. Zephyr Dance
3. Moment of Perfect Mind
4. Soaring Raptor Strike

Question: Stone Dragon says you need to be in contact with the "ground". What's your interpretation of " the ground"? So long as you're not in the air? On physical "ground" (like earth)?

Vaynor
2008-04-23, 10:08 AM
Astrus rushes up to deck at the slightest noise of alarm, he never sleeps heavily anyways. As he runs up he invigorates himself and any nearby allies. After seeing the monster he does a quick check to see if it is evil and then shouts to Remy, jumping up on top of him and flying into the air above the ship, and cries "FOUL BEAST OF THE DEPTHS, YOU CANNOT ESCAPE MY WRATH, THE LIGHT WILL VANQUISH THEE!" as he holds his greatsword above his head, which explodes into a dazzling light, illuminating the deck as if it were noon.

Initiative [roll0]

Casts Resistance on any nearby allies as he runs up (invocation) and on himself. Cast's Bull's Strength on himself, and magic weapon. Daylight invocation on his weapon when he's in the air. Also casts Shield of Faith (+4 bonus) on his mount.

About the screaming, he's very serious about his job. :smallwink:

Adumbration
2008-04-23, 12:22 PM
Gale Stormdancer

Gale spent his days on the deck, by the captain and behind the masts, invoking the winds to their aid. Despite his predicament of location - bound to be on the deck to provide the winds - he has managed to catch at least some conversations with the others, including the half-fiend with whom he had a most interesting discussion with about his heritage. After hearing the recounted story, he said, under his breath with a slightly singing voice, as if quoting a song he had heard,

"Love can be like poetry of demons
or maybe gods love complex irony?"

Gale has mostly played the part of the good listener on conversations, but anyone that has shown enough interest has heard at least a brief description of his past life and beliefs.

Although the captain's new grafts caused him to raise an eyebrow, he has not made further comments on them - he feels that they are none of his business. He has spent even his nights on the deck - claiming a dislike of closed spaces and mentioning that he needs only little sleep anyway.

Upon waking to the sound of the man screaming, Gale's hands start the flowing motion of the spell and his mouth a chant even before getting up. Soon there was no need to do it, for he started to ascend to the skies, lifted like a feather.

Once he took in the situation from above, he kept on ascending for another forty feet or so, before his hands begun to dance again. In a few seconds, he disappeared from sight. He smiles as he does... The storm is upon them, and he is in his own element.

He casts Overland Flight, flies about 50 feet above the sea level, and casts Greater Invisibility, preparing to use a couple of Electricity Orbs. He also attempts to identify the creature.

Knowledge nature: [roll0]

Also, I thought that Krimm says in the spoiler that he will roll for initiative?

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-23, 01:55 PM
Yes, he does that.
Also that brings up the question, do we have an OOC thread?
nevermind, I found it.

Also, I forgot to post what my character would have been doing for all the days. He doesn't need to eat, so unless someone needed him, he would have kept himself in his room (or whatever passes for one), and meditated. If anyone would have been interested in him, he would have talked to anyone who asked, but he wouldn't ever have left until this incident.

Jack Mann
2008-04-23, 02:54 PM
"Hmm." Taraliel considered his options. He could, of course, have attempted to slay the creature on the spot, but such spells had a tendency to do nothing if they failed. Besides, this monster was obviously quite tough. It had a fair chance of shrugging off any spell he threw that could damage it. Better to be sure. He boosted the strength of his magic temporarily, and then threw a bolt of necromantic energy at the beast. After that, he studied it for weaknesses he could report to his fellows.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Casting assay spell penetration, followed by avasculate, and then knowledge (the planes) for dark knowledge (tactics).

Ellas Aramond
2008-04-23, 04:49 PM
Vega spends her days leaning against the railing of the ship, staring almost wistfully at the sky. If any engages her in conversation, she is good humored, but a little quiet, preferring to listen. She tries to stay away from Taraliel, feeling nervous around him.

Much to the dismay of many of the crew, she never leaves her room without her armor and robes on. When asked about this, she quickly steers the conversation to something else

------------

Hearing the captain's call, Vega quickly swings out of her hammock and grabs her staff. Used to shipboard combat, she quickly dons a few of her items and hurries to the door. Before exiting, anyone on the other side listening intently can hear the groaning and popping of re-shaping bones. Rushing up to the deck, she is no longer an elven woman, but a creature that looks as though it is half bird, half man. Her hair has been replaced by feathers of the same color, and majestic, white wings trail behind her.

Her eyes widen and she looks upon the great beast, but quickly lets out a long stream of syllables.

She changes into her hybrid form, and grabs all of her gear except for her pack and the items in it.

For DM's Eyes Only
She tells the still invisible bone devil to come next to her and cat fly on itself.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-23, 06:29 PM
Initiative
Nestation - 24
Astrus - 21
Captain Dawn - 20
Tha Crew! - 14
Vega - 12
Aquatic beast - 11
Derham - 8
Gale and Talariel's sheets are down, so they'll just go last. Sorry.
Edit: I'm allowing you those few extra rounds for those spells of yours, only because I think you'll need it...

TheMeanDM
2008-04-23, 10:07 PM
ooc 1: Can someone make a table/list of the buffs that we are all getting?
ooc 2: How close is the closest tentacle to Nestarion? Is it within 15' (this will determine if it's 2 attacks or 3 for the round).

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-23, 11:09 PM
Maps!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/TheOldWomantentacleplacement.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/TheOldWomanBelowDeck.jpg

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-23, 11:48 PM
Krimm said I get several rounds worth of buffs to make up for the spellcaster's actions.
Current effects
Initiating Sacred Flame Stance
Bless weapon
Divine Sacrifice
Fell the Greatest Foe
Detect Evil to be sure the creature is evil

Ellas Aramond
2008-04-24, 12:35 AM
Vega will use those extra actions cast Bull's Strength, Mass, and position herself so that she can affect as many people as possible.

That's a +4 to Str by the way, lasting for 12 rounds.

And if her positioning puts her near a tentacle, then she will cast defensively.

Concentration: 1d20+23=32 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1575829/)

TheMeanDM
2008-04-24, 07:08 AM
Nestarion takes a five-foot step to better position himself, and then unleashes a flashing flurry of strikes against the large tentacle that is still ten-feet away from him.

"It's a spawn of the Abyss!" he calls out. "Demon blood flows through its veins!"

Literally, Nestarion takes a 5' step to put him 1 square "up" from where he is.

Being in the Dancing Blade Form, his reach is 10', enough to hit that tentacle.

Using Flashing Sun, he gets 1 extra attack, but all attacks are at -2.

QUESTIONS:
1) Does a size Large weapon automatically grant extra reach? (he is wielding a Large katana)
2) Do you need to be on "earth/stone/ground" to use Stone Dragon maneuvers, or can you simply *not* be in the air (or suspended in water)

vicious = +2d6 to foe, 1d6 to me
bane = +2 attack, +2d6 to foe
Flashing Sun = extra attack, all at -2

first, second, third + crit checks
a 1: 1d20+23=39
a 2: 1d20+18=37
a 3: 1d20+23=25
c 1: 1d20+23=30
c 2: 1d20+18=34 +3 from Warblade = 37
c 3: 1d20+23=27
(http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1575985/)

Damage (assuming the 39 and 37 hit)
damage 1 (2d8+20+4d6=43) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1575986/)
damage 2 (4d8+40+4d6=66) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1575987/)

Total Damage: 109

damage self (1d6=1, 1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1575988/)
I do believe my DR 5 vs. Silver or Good applies to reduce those to 0.

He is two-handing his Katana. I'll let you describe the two-handed chopping/slicing and dicing.

Vaynor
2008-04-24, 06:33 PM
Astrus runs up the stairs after invigorating himself with his spells, attacking the beast's tentacle with his sword, using an extra flash of holy light on the attack.

Astrus moves up to the square between Nestarion and Derham, going up the stairs, and attacks the big tentacle there. He also orders his hippogryph to attack separately (so roll initiative or something for him too).

Attack roll: (smiting evil with the attack) [roll0] (-3 if not evil)
Crit confirm roll (if needed, 17-20 crit chance): [roll1]
Attack damage: [roll2] + [roll3] (if evil)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-24, 08:16 PM
Nestarion: You didn't need to make the 5-foot step, since you're large you're already in reach. You already have a 10-foot reach due to being large size, so having a large weapon doesn't automatically give you 15 ft. reach. And you don't have to be on 'earth' to use Stone Dragon maneuvers, just have both your feet firmly on something solid. Oh yes, you also take that damage despite your damage reduction, sorry but it doesn't work that way.

Vaynor: Nesty already took off the tentacle... so I'll just assume you attack one of it's arms.

Also, I think I'm just going to assume there are arms all over the deck, and I won't need to draw them on the map... except for the ones already severed and on the deck(which will be counted as rough terrain).

The great diabolical beast that is Nestarion swings his blade twice at the massive, barbed arm of the creature. The first strikes and hacks halfway through it, and a horrible scream issues overboard from the creature's body. He swings again and swings all the way through, the last few inches of skin giving some resistance... but ripping off and swinging onto the deck with a sickening thud, and the rest of the arm slides back into the murky depths.
Astrus runs up the stairs and holy light bursts from his sword as it collides with the beast, it cries out even louder than Nestarion's strikes and the holy reaving blade slices through the clawed arm and it, too flops down to the ground and wriggles before remaining motionless and the rest of the arm slides into the water.

"Good job ya lot! Let's show this ruddy beast who's ship 'e's attackin'! Ahahaha!!" He holds his blade in a particular position and as his muscles ripple, he actually hurls his massive blade at the beast's arm... It hits with incredible accuracy and without slowing, the sword rips through the arm of the creature and it howls in agony a third time. It's tentacle falling to the deck with a wet thud. The greatfalchion flies through the rain and darkness and right back into his demonic claw, a massive grin on his face.
"That'll show it, right, men!?" He shouts over his ship, and his crewmen respond with a riled and zealous shout for victory as they begin to rush the arms and start stabbing, hacking and slashing at the creatures limbs as they wave over the ship.
Before long, one of the arms falls onto the deck and spills even more blood, which mixes with the heavy rain-water.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/TheOldWomantentacleplacement-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/TheOldWomanBelowDeck-1.jpg

Vega's Turn

TheMeanDM
2008-04-24, 08:31 PM
Nestarion:
AC 38 / 18 / 34
Hp: 146/151

ooc:
Actually, Nestarion is *not* Large Sized. Yes, he's tall, but so are Goliaths, and they're only medium.

That wasn't one of the "benefits" of the template. He wears strong-arm bracers, which allow him to wield a larger weapon. His stance grants him 5' of additional reach, making it 10' total. The arm was 15' away, so he had to take the 5' step. :smallsmile:

Drats, and here I was hoping that the vicious wouldn't affect me due to DR.
Ah well.
:smallwink:

Ellas Aramond
2008-04-25, 01:09 AM
Vega stays where she is and simply points directly at the monster. Her face a sharp contrast from what it was before, solemn and serious, as she goes through another line of syllables.

"Shelareioundovnia'deliarmounessen'daivia!"

A few moments later a wretched and skeletal being appears in midair in front of the monster, lashing out with the stinger it has on it's tail.

DM's eyes only
Vega basically shouts "attack it's face".

Stinger attack:
damage: [roll1]+poison (DC 20 fort)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-25, 01:37 AM
The bone-devil curses in it's fowl tongue, using it's high but poisonous voice, "Vaarak'aas!" Anyone who speaks infernal realizes it has uttered a particularly fowl word.
The twisted devil attempts swinging it's tail into the monster's face, but the barbed weapon fails to pierce it's flesh, even if it found the attack to be a surprise and was caught off-hand.
The creature bellows in rage... it is not happy with the amount of damage it's been dealt in the past few seconds. It's horrific duel-mouth rises from the water once again and screams in a deep, far more loud bellow, spraying the ship with uncomfortably warm water. It lashes it's remaining long tentacle onto the ship again, aimed at Nestarion. It strikes him hard across his body, slamming hard and dragging it's barbs across his flesh((30 damage)). It then immediately begins to encircle him and crush. No matter how hard the half-devil tries, he cannot seem to break free of the creature's grasp. The creature starts dragging him into the water...
With it's remaining three clawed arms it swings at more people on deck. One of them swings right at Astrus, dragging it's hook-like claw across his flesh((16 damage)).
Another swings at a crewman... unfortunately for the young boy the hook pierces right from his shoulder and out of his gut... the boy dies instantly. The creature then drags the body toward it's mouth and rips it from his claw to devour, making a terrible mess.
The third flies toward Derham, but it seems it's luck has run out as the claw misses him by mere inches. It bellows again, and as before, it sprays it's horrible, warm mucus on board.

Derham's Turn.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-25, 04:00 AM
Derham watches as the beast rips people open, and drags others down. He shifts his feat to a more steadfast stance, and begins to glow with a bright aura, his fists particularly glowing a pale red.
"Wretched beast from places most foul, you have ended your last life, and will not be welcomed with open arms by your evil lords."
He lunges forward, his fists blazing brighter than a torch
BY THE RIGHTEOUS MIGHT OF ADAMUS, I STRIKE THEE DOWN!!! he screams out, leaping off the side of the ship and delivering a mighty blow to the creature's face

Initiates Nimbus of Light (for effect), then charges at the fiend, leaping off the ship and punching it in the face, using every effect he has on him, as well as Strike of Divine Power, Devil's Favor and Smite Evil

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Fist [roll2] Fell the Greatest Foe [roll3] Divine Sacrifice [roll4] Stance/Maneuver (half fire, half holy) +1 for sanctify weapon [roll5] if it's undead or an evil subtype outsider, +15 Smite
Must also make a Will save DC 25 or be paralyzed for 7 rounds, and a Fort save DC 14 or take 1d6 dex (2d6 dex secondary)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-25, 04:11 AM
As the hellbred warrior leaps through the air, it's almost as if time seems to slow, including the rain and the beast. He lands on the creatures inhuman 'face', lurching his fist backwards and delivering a blow of such divine power it causes a powerful white light to emit from where he strikes.
The light and the fist both seem to drill a hole in the creature's head as it screams in horrible agony, both twisted jaws wrenching open as mucus and blood shoot forth. There are some things it seems to resist, however... it remains capable of movement and the holy venom of Derham's fists seems to have been ineffective.
It inhales again and unleashes another utterly pained scream, spraying the entire boat with mucus and blood. One of the eyes rolls up almost directly beneath Derham's feet and stares coldly at him...
I'll get to how Taraliel's turn went and I'll expect Gale's as well. But... tomorrow.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-25, 06:45 AM
AC 38 / 18 / 34
Hp: 121/151

Couple of questions:
1) If I have Improved Grab/Grapple, and it has the same, do they cancel each other out...so that I get an Attack of Opportunity?

2) probably wouldn't be worth using Wall of Blades, as it's grapple attack is sky-high...right?

Adumbration
2008-04-25, 12:54 PM
I assume it's my turn, so here we go...

Gale Stormdancer

Unseen to most eyes, above the ship, Gale was the full witness for the horror and heroism happening below him. Hands moving faster than the eye, drawing forth the magic within, chanting arousing the hidden energies. Lightning arcing between his fingers, rebounding between them, creating a web of light, growing stronger with each spark. A ball of liquid lightning took form, and with a crack of thunder whipped forth to smite the foul creature.

Gale, still protected by Greater Invisibility and about 50 ft above the ship, casts Orb of Electricity. 15d6 of electricity damage and 4 sonic damage plus possible stun from Thunderbolt class feature. DC against getting stunned for 1 round is 22, and the save is Fortitude. Spell resistance doesn't apply and

Attack roll (ranged touch attack): [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-25, 07:14 PM
The spell Taraliel launches at the beast penetrates it's innate barrier against magic, and it passes through the creature's thick skin without any effort. After a mere moment it seems like it's skin cracks and ruptures all over it as it's blood vessels are ripped out by the spell... It cries in ever greater rage as even more of it's blood showers down on the ship. Despite the agony it suffers, it is still capable of movement.

Gale throws down the massive orb of energy upon the creature. It strikes it hard and the energy crackles through the water around it and on it's body. It seems to resist but a small portion of the shocking spell but a large majority of the damage it could inflict seems to. It continues it's agonized bellow.

Nestarion's turn.

Jack Mann
2008-04-26, 12:10 AM
"Hmm. Hmm! Yes, those... demons will-sleep-with just about any...thing. But I suppose, when... you're the Prince-of-Demons, who's going to... say-no? Certainly-not-a-squid. A kraken, to be... precise. It's... funny, isn't it? Did dear... Father love you, little squid? If-not, then... I can relate. Do Demons-love? Do... krakens? Do you? Would-it-be so sad... little one? Without love, why... live?" Taraliel shook his head, as though clearing it. "It is half-a-demon, half... a squid. Find bones. Bones that... don't belong. They're weak, will-hurt, hurt-bad. Aim well. Vital organs are... still there. Get him, my... pretties." He smiles serenely.

+3 to attack for everyone! All praise dark knowledge!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-26, 05:22 AM
The bellowing finally ends, and from the sickly silence comes a deep, booming voice laced with the screams of thousands of souls just itching at your ears. The voice of this... creature is so deep and so loud it simply reverberates through each of your bodies.
"Do not... attempt to taunt me... elf." It's hideous eye turns from Derham and locks ever so menacingly on the elf, the gigantic pupil staring so intently at him. "I have... lived ages... I know your kind... your kind... is so weak... so young... and so stupid..." It needs to breath in and out to speak, and with every unnatural breath is sprays more water and blood over the ship like an abyssal rain.
"Your ruin... is nigh... and the Abyss... awaits."

TheMeanDM
2008-04-26, 12:15 PM
Nestarion
AC 38 / 18 / 34
Hp: 112/151

Nestarion grins, his fanged teeth flashing white behind his ruby lips.

"You'll not live one day longer, boastful spawn!" the half-fiend bellows at the Kraken. "Tell your bastard of a father that the Holy Tormentor sends his regards!"

swift action: re-size Katana to Small size (making it a light weapon)

2x Attacks on the Tentacle wrapping around me

23 bab +2 Bane -2 small size -4 grappled = +19/+14 bab

Attack 1, 2 & Crit Checks (1d20+19=35, 1d20+14=17, 1d20+19=39, 1d20+14=33) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1578603/)

url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1578604/]1d8+18+4d6=45, 1d6=6, 1d8+18+4d6=34, 1d6=3[/url]

Total to Tentacle/Arm: 79
Total to me: 9

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-26, 02:07 PM
The twisted limb seems to strain under Nestarion's attack, and as if the qualities created to destroy creatures of the lowest places of the pit were creating a blade of it's own, the limb struggles and churns before falling off, almost as if destroyed by holy decay. The beast again bellows, this time more in rage than pain, as pain has been all to normal for it.
Nestarion, too falls from the limb, which had him suspended roughly 10 feet above the deck. His fall, however is entirely neutralized by the damage-resisting qualities of his very skin.

Vaynor
2008-04-26, 02:13 PM
Astrus Bellakin
180/196 hp
AC 35 (including radiance)
Radiances (all allies within 30 feet): Darkvision 60 ft., +2 AC to all evil creatures

Astrus strikes down again and again upon the arms of the kraken, smashing it with more holy power.

Attacks: (3)
[roll0] (smite evil)
[roll1]
[roll2]

In case of crits: (17-20/x2)
[roll3]
[roll4]

Damage:
[roll5] (smite evil)
[roll6]
[roll7]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-26, 06:37 PM
The creature swings its remaining limbs over the side of the ship, Astrus takes his stance and catches one on his blade. The steel of his weapon glows bright with holy energy as it collides with the monstrous flesh. The abomination of a beast cries out again as the very sounds of the heavens ring out from his sundering flesh. The limb is ripped from the body and it, too slams into the deck, nearly hitting one of the very frightened crew-men. The monster's blood seems to splatter onto Astrus like a sickening layer of paint.

The captain shouts out over the ship, still standing where he did "Nary a more arrogant monster I've met, I reckon! Yer blood may be o' a bloody right demon! But it's also splattered all over me Old Woman! Ahaha!" He positions his weapon as he did previously and with enough force to push with wind to his face from the sheer speed of his weapon he hurls it at the creature.
The strike harmlessly ricochets off the skin of it's body, it flies back to his hand. He hurls it again with equal force, just missing a vital portion by inches. "I'll gut yeh open, I swear it!" As he catches it a second time he hurls it a third and final time, this time the massive curved sword slices through demonic flesh, spraying more blackened blood over the deck and ocean and it returns to him, causing him to let out another great laugh.

"Captain! The ship's taking too much damage from the arms!" One of the crewmen cries out. "We don' do anything about it, she'll break apart!"
"Well then yeh bloody git, start fixin' 'er up! Yer not a fighter, yer a sailor!" With that, most of the crew begins to climb the mast and tries doing repairs on the damaged wood and rope.
A few that remain and fight still attack, but barely do anything to the creature's flesh.

Vega's turn.

Ellas Aramond
2008-04-27, 02:44 AM
Vega

Seeing the carnage the great beast has inflicted, Vega's glare sets on the monster.

"I know of you, spawn of Demogorgon." she shouts, tearing her holy symbol, a solemn face adorned with sparkling sliver leaves, from her belt, "And how you have terrorized these seas for far too long! Feel the holy wrath of Obad-Hai, and never curse the world with your presence again!"

Thrusting the symbol out in front of her, it seems to glow with white wisps of fire. A split second later, a great column of white fire roars downward towards the beast.

Casting her purified Flame Strike, making sure that the bone devil does not get caught in the blast. And since the beast is a evil outsider, damage gets inceased to d8's.

Flame Strike: [roll0]

Bone Devil sting: [roll1]
damage: [roll2]+poison

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-27, 03:30 AM
A fissure rips open from the sky above the beast and ties directly to Vega's holy symbol, calling the white fire down upon the unholy creature. It screeches in horrible pain... A massive rift opens in it's flesh, spilling a great deal of it's blood. The water around it looks almost like blood itself, and again, much of it gets on deck.
The osyluth tries to pierce it's flesh, but even though it bypasses it's leathery skin, it can't seem to puncture deep enough to damage it.

Taraliel speaks up over the raging waters and raging beast, "Poor little... fiendling. Don't-you-know you've al...ready lost? You should have left this ship... alone, alone, all, all alone. It's too-late, too little, too... far. I have your... scent. Your... blood. You cannot... hide. I am Death. I am... Life. You... are dead."

"...You will... all suffer..." It pauses for a moment, but then vaults itself at the ship with it's jaws out and bites deep into the ship's hull...
There is a sickening cracking sound as wood splinters and bolts begin to fall out of the woodwork. Water gushes into the area directly below deck, freezing and full of unholy, sickly-smelling blood.
It then ricochets off the side of the ship where it bit in and begins swimming downward quickly, deep into the depths of the freezing water... Derham still on it's back.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-27, 04:00 AM
Derham clings to the beast with one hand as it careens through the water.
You are a worthy foe, but I will not let you escape so easily. I said you would be struck down by the fist of Adamus, and thus you shall! He continues to shout, despite being dragged through water, and his enemy unable to hear anyway, but he transmits the meaning to the creature telepathically, so it knows it's fate, then sends sends forth a strike which he hopes will crush it's skull.

Using Divine Strike, and stunning fist.
[roll0]
[roll1] Strike Damage
[roll2] Half fire-Half Divine Energy
[roll3] Extra damage from strike (not sure if it's just base damage or divine energy)
[roll4] (sanctify Weapon)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-27, 04:36 AM
The creature's eyes bulge when Derham strikes it directly above said optic. The malevolent sphere rolls around to stare at Derham for several seconds, not filled with the hate it was before, not the sickening, putrid evil that possessed every fiber of it's very being. In it's eye, there was fear. After these moments pass, the eye rolls back into it's head and it's entire body goes completely limp.
3,857 XP everyone!
Edit: Can you believe you all kicked the ass of a CR 20?
Meanwhile on the ship, the captain runs down the steps and toward the lower deck. Along the way he simply shouts a long string of truly horrid obscenities. "YOU RIGHT FOOLS, GET DOWN HERE AN' HELP ME!!" The crew straightens up and runs down to help him, dropping their weapons.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-27, 08:02 AM
Nestarion spares a brief glance overboard.

He could go after one person, or help save the lives of many aboard ship.

He sighed. Decisions, decisions. He thought to himself.

"Captain!" he yelled out. "Do you need my strength, or should I go after our overboard hero!"

Vaynor
2008-04-27, 11:50 AM
Astrus, seeing the monster fall, rushes around the deck, healing those who need it, ignoring his own injuries.

Yah, that was pretty good. We rock! Also, I have 3 CMW's available and 3 CLW, used on anyone who needs it.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-27, 02:39 PM
The captain shouts again, "YER DAMN RIGHT I DO! GRAB A PLANK 'N START NAILIN'!"

Adumbration
2008-04-28, 08:25 AM
Gale Stormdancer

Seeing the beast flee, Gale descends down to the deck and dismisses his invisibility. He starts to help where he can with little skill he has - with a hammer and nails.

Ellas Aramond
2008-04-29, 01:54 AM
Vega

"Pelemindairinu'gosugoindakridgephindimon'shokusphu 'durai!" Vega shouts a seemingly unintelligible phrase; but the stinger-tailed creature seems to understand, streaking into the water after snarling, in pursuit of the hellbred paladin.

Grabbing up the nearest hammer, she gets to work along with the others, knowing that there's not more that she can do. But when the fiend finally arises from the waters, a thought crosses her mind; causing her to once again say a long list of syllables to the fiend.

Vega basically commands the bone devil to turn invisible, and to go underwater and bring Derham onto the deck without hurting him. And once its accomplished that, to create a wall of ice along the bottom of the boat to stop it from sinking.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-29, 02:31 AM
After only a few moments, the body of the devil floats to the surface of the water, unmoving and face down in the water...
Sorry Devin, blame Andy.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-29, 02:35 AM
A few moments later, Derham surfaces, taking a moment to locate the ship, then swimming towards it with one arm, the other hanging behind him.

He reaches the ship, then shouts up
"Can someone toss me a rope? I have a gift for the captain, and I'd like to get out of the water before I'm attacked by another Fiend!"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-29, 02:38 AM
One of the crewmen sees you and hastily throws a rope over the side to allow you to get back on, but quickly ties it somewhere and goes back down to try and fix the hole in the ship.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-04-29, 02:57 AM
Derham reaches for the rope, tying the end to something beneath the water, then grabbing onto the rope and slowly climbing his way up onto the ship.

Once on the ship, Derham plants himself firmly, and then begins to haul the rope back up. After a minute, he gets it all the way up, reaching over the side and hauling aboard a giant mass of bone and bloody flesh. He loosens the rope, tossing it in a hasty coil to the side, then looking around for the captain.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-04-29, 06:54 PM
Derham quickly realizes no one is on deck, and the sound of nails being hammered into wood, as well as the smell of hot tar to fill in the gaps. "BE QUICK, THERE'S ALOT O' WATER IN 'ERE!"

Taraliel moves around the ship to those still wounded by the creature, his hands glowing white as his magic heals injuries. When he's done he cracks all of his knuckles just by making a fist.

Ellas Aramond
2008-04-30, 12:25 AM
With the sound of rushing water and pounding of nails, filling her ears; Vega remains unaware of her devil's fate. But with the water not stopping, she realizes that something is up.

'It must have found a loophole in my commands again, damn fiend.' she mentally curses, deciding to seek help of a different sort.

"Shalm, send me the aid of a spirit of the waters." She says a small prayer to her patron, a few moments later, some of the water shapes to something vaguely humanoid.

Vega casts Summon Monster V to bring in a medium sized water elemental. She then commands it to make all the water flow out of the ship, and to keep more from coming it.

TheMeanDM
2008-04-30, 08:50 AM
His muscles straining to hold the planks in place while others nail them in, Nestarion is doing what he can, how he can, to help save the ship that he and the others now occupy.

Upon hearing the...wizard...or whatever he was...spewing forth his request to get some of the beasts flesh, he growls low in his throat.

From his belt he draws a dagger and then hurls it, end over end, directly at the spot in front of the wizard.

The blade of the dagger drives home, sinking into the wood of the deck, half-way up the sharp blade. It vibrates slightly with the power of the throw that propelled it.

"Get it yourself. We're a bit busy SAVING OUR LIVES AND YOURS TOO." he says rather loudly, and with great agitation. He then turns back around to grab another plank and get it into place.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-01, 12:10 AM
After several hours of nailing boards and applying sealant to the gaps in the wood, it appears the ship is saved... It seems as though, however, that even if the ship seemed like at so many points that it should have gone under, it didn't. The captain sits against the inner hull panting with his legs spread out. "Y'lot did good... dunno 'ow she stayed up after all that..." He smiles, showing his missing and uneven teeth, "S'pose ol' Derkus smiles on the ol' woman, eh? Hahah!" He slaps his knee.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-01, 12:28 AM
Derham stayed above deck, looking about to make sure he'd be the first to know if they were attacked by another fiend. Even though everyone else was helping to keep the ship afloat, Derham hadn't worked a tool in all his life, and so he felt it more appropriate for him to keep watch. When the nailing started to die down below deck, he went down below to check on the situation.

"If you're all done down here captain, I have something above deck you may be interested in." he shouted over to the captain after he'd found him.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-01, 12:32 AM
"Alrigh', what have yeh got ta show me?" He stands up and follows Derham above to the upper deck, looking around at the still reddened water.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-01, 12:39 AM
"You let me on board this ship so that I could catch you some "Crankshafts". Anyone can cover their ship with suits of armor, but how many captains have the jaws of a hell-spawn creature?" He asked, grabbing the captain by the shoulder and turning him around to face the bloody jaws he had hauled on deck.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-01, 12:45 AM
"Hah!! Brilliant my boy, brilliant!" He slaps him hard on the back, "This is a right good gift!" He blinks as he suddenly noticed the massive twin-jaws of the beast laying on the deck, "Good lord, boy! Yer like the son I never had!"

TheMeanDM
2008-05-01, 04:20 PM
Nestarion grins while he wipes away the sweat of a hard few hours work.

"Well, Captain, do try to avoid any further sea monsters. Or else you'll need to be paying us for protection." he grins.

He sits down on the deck, leaning with his back against the wooden wall that served to keep sailors from sliding overboard.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-02, 02:35 AM
After a few days more of sailing, there doesn't appear to be any more problems, only a few more days of rain. As the sky becomes dimmer behind the cloud cover and night approaches, one of the crewmen calls out from the crow's nest, "Captain! There's a man out there! In the water!"
The captain looks out over the ocean, "By Derkus, there is a man out there... Men! Throw a ring to the poor feller!!" Almost as soon as he says it, some of the crew throws a wooden circle tied to a rope out into the water to the man.

TheMeanDM
2008-05-02, 08:27 AM
Nestarion had been high in the rigging, near the 'crow's nest', getting a sense of how to work the sails, work the ropes, and...in general...how to sail a ship. It was fun for him to learn new and intersting, though sometimes not so useful, things.

Upon hearing that there was a man in the water, the half-fiend did a brief once-over making sure he had his weapon, then lept into the air, out over the water, in the direction of the floating man.

He knifed into the water, his diabolic form penetrating the cobalt-blue water like a spear.

With just a few powerful strokes under the water, he had reached the man.

If he's unconscious, he'll just surface, grab him, and "tow" him to the boat.

If he's conscious, he'll make certain to surface *behind* him and announce that he's a friend here to help him on board. No sense panicking the man.

[roll0]

Maneuvers for the day:

Warblade
Emerald Razor
Ruby Nightmare Blade
Steely Strike
Iron Heart Surge

Swordsage
Flashing Sun
Zephyr Dance
Moment of Perfect Mind
Soaring Raptor Strike

Robert Frost
2008-05-02, 02:30 PM
The man was tossed about the waves, clutching to the driftwood he had managed to grab in the destruction of his ship for his dear life. For two days he had been at sea, two miserable days. His arms were stiff from grasping the wood, and his mind dulled by the long days which he suffered while clutching it. At first he thought it was just his imagination when a ship appeared, and his throat was far to dry to waste speak on mirages. Then noise, the noise of people yelling and a rope thrown to him. It was too bad that he was barely able to hold onto the Driftwood...

Suddenly he heard a splash, in that slight daze he had fallen in sense the ship's destruction, and he suddenly realized that maybe this wasn't another mirage, maybe he was saved. Then something came up from the water behind him, frightening him slightly, enough to almost lose his grip on the driftwood.

The being announced itself as a friend, willing to lend a hand to his situation, but Sylph knew better than to follow the advice of any random creature who appeared before him. At least in most circumstances where he wasn't holding onto driftwood for his dear life.

"Well..."

He paused, swallowing several times in order to think as well as clear his throat, it was rather dry.

Knowledge check to determine what the creature is that surfaced behind him.
34 For the planes
37 For Arcana

"I guess I'll take any help I can get, as long as I'm not on the dinner menu."

He said a with a hoarse chuckle, looking at the man to gauge his reaction.

Ready an Action to cast Quickened Hold Person if the man attacks me

Spell Penetration (If Necessary): 33

((OOC - I had to change my post because I realized my character didn't need to eat or drink and therefore would not fall unconcious from lack of either))

TheMeanDM
2008-05-03, 08:40 AM
There is a deep chuckle. "What kind of a person do you think I am? Now if you were a chicken, or perhaps a cow, then I might have to skewer you and roast you over a fire." again, a chuckle. "But the captain might not care for such a big fire on his boat." The man slides his arm underneath the man's armpit and across his chest. You can feel that there is a great strength in his grip.

You hear him splashing through the water with his other hand, and sense him kicking with his legs.

Quickly, the two of you are propelled through the water and arrive in moments at the ship.

He grasps at two of the ropes that have been thrown overboard, and then ties them around the man's chest. "Up up and away." he chuckles.

It's only then that you can see your "savior". He is a powerfully built creature with diabolical heritage. His skin is blood-red, and the two large horns that protrude from his head are the deepest ebony. His eyes, as he looks up to ensure that you reach the top safely, are yellow and cat-like.

He smiles up at you, a warm, friendly smile.

As soon as the sailors have the man safely on deck, you hear the "man" start climbing the side of the ship. In moments, the horns appear, and then the rest of the "man". He swings his leg over the wooden "wall", and then stands upon the deck, rising well over seven feet in height.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-03, 03:08 PM
Just as a bit of advice, for rolls you should use the board rollers. To use that just put [ roll]1d20 or what have you[/roll] just without the space in the first [roll].
--
You determine as you're brought across the ship and back down below deck that several of the people on this boat... are not quite normal. There is a creature that is a half devil, half-xerfylstyx. Another is more human in appearance, but only so much; You realize he is the forsaken mortal, bound to both their creed of good and attempts of redemption and the Nine Hells of Baator. He is a Hellbred.

Jack Mann
2008-05-03, 08:58 PM
While others effect the rescue of the man in the sea, Taraliel begins chanting to himself, while holding a silver half-skull that he keeps around his neck. It glows softly, and almost seems to open its mouth in time with Taraliel's. After a few minutes, the glow spreads to the are in front of him, tracing a large shape on the deck. Soon, a large table appears on the deck, replete with fine food and wine.

"Dig... in, my-friends. This will-help-re...store your strength. There is enough for... fifteen, so those-worst off should have... it." He gestures to the seats, though he doesn't approach one himself. "There is enough for... fifteen."

When the others have returned to the ship, and people begin to eat the repast, he paces up and down the deck. "An... interesting creature, was-it-not? Dangerous, but... perhaps we-can learn from it." He raises a finger, as though lecturing. "A kraken, a... squid. Yes, let's start-with a squid, my pets. Ordinary. Extraordinary. Spell...casting. Intelligent. Evil. Courted by... a demon? Two-headed. Demogorgon. Lord... of-the-88th layer of the Abyss. Courted or... commanded. It makes-no difference, none... at all. The demon lord... the Prince-of-Demons, he's called... will have his way. Her way. Both. Was he the-father? Or... the mother? Father-most-likely. Why give birth? Troublesome. Diffi...cult. Cults, perhaps. Perhaps not even the squid... gave birth. So many... lesser servants, willing-to-do-the-job. 'Womb for sale, penny a pup!' But a loveless-union, nonetheless, whoever gave... birth in-the-end. Thus, our... friend. Our-victim. I wish I could-have-got...ten more samples from it. So much... research to be-done." He glances at Nesturion. "No-offense. But autopsies... are revealing in-ways-that normal obser...vation can-never be. Elves and... humans, for-example, are far more... similar than my-people-would believe, anatomically."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-04, 05:39 AM
The captain stands in front of the newcomer, "Welcome aboard me lad! I'm a trustin' man... So fer now I can allow yeh on me ship. Don't cause too much trouble, alrigh'? Otherwise I gotta throw yeh off. Yeh any good at bein' a sailor?" He says all of this with a grin and a squinted eye.

Robert Frost
2008-05-04, 04:41 PM
Sylph did his best to shake out and dry himself, having been wet and pruney (that often happens when holding onto a piece of driftwood for two days), and to stretch his rather stiff muscles and joints. He was relatively stiff and uncomfortable, and after bending over and trying to fix his back, both of which seemed pained from the experience, he turned back to take a look about the deck, getting a feel for the ship. He'd been on ships before, and to his mind it didn't seem unpleasant, in fact it seemed quite welcoming. Which was further proved by the Captain's questioning of him, whom he quickly turned to.

"Although I'm no stranger to ships, I'm no sailor. And I doubt I'd cause trouble to the kind-hearted captain and sailors who chanced upon me and saved my life, right?"

He smiled wide, and chuckled quietly, enjoying the fact that he was no longer clutching to a piece of wood for his dear life.

"I owe you a bit of a boon, Captain, and based on the type of people you have on your ship, you must be heading somewhere dangerous. Is there any way I could repay you? Further, where is it exactly you're going? I was headed to Shello myself... Before my ship was... mysteriously destroyed..."

Since I haven't really worked out with Krimm how my previous ship was destroyed, I'm not being ambiguous or mysterious, my character just honestly doesn't know.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-04, 09:44 PM
"We're headed tah Shello, so yer in luck! Though not 'bout yer ship... Perhaps it was tha great bloody beast we offed earlier..." He points to the tentacles and jaws still on the deck, tied down and preserved by one of the ship's adepts. "Horrible beast, it was... But yer safe now, and headed right fer a world o' adventure! Now if'n you don't mind, I got me some captaining ta do."

Adumbration
2008-05-05, 10:53 AM
Gale, peaking past the sails filled with wind, tried to make sense of the situation with a very limited sight. Finally, deciphering the gist of what's going on and seeing the feast set up, he decides to abandon his post by the wheel. "Hey, save some for me too!"

It wasn't that he really needed the food, but the smells were simply delicious and he enjoyed the company. In any case, it was getting late, and he was sure that the captain wouldn't mind - or if he would, Gale didn't really care: if the captain felt he wasn't doing his job, he could always pay for his trip, but how well could the captain go on with the damaged ship without calm and steady winds?

Sorry for the inactivity lately, been busy, busy, busy. Trying to make up for it now, but I still have a school essay to write for the day after tomorrow.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-06, 05:45 PM
A many day's travel passes by without consequence, the sky even clears up and the sun shines gently upon the ship. The winds are soothing and cool and spirits are high among the crew, and almost daily do they and the captain sing various sea-shanties.
It is another two uneventful weeks before you begin to reach the mist... The twisted, grey mists of the Shello. Once this happens the crew seems far less upbeat, the captain doesn't sing and it is almost as if you're all being watched by the mist itself.
I need Spot checks from everyone.

Adumbration
2008-05-06, 11:04 PM
Spot check: [roll0]

"Captain. Would you like me to attempt to disperse this fog? Granted, I can only do it in a three-mile radius, but... I don't like this fog." Gale stands by the railing, staring into the mist.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-06, 11:59 PM
The captain speaks as grimly as he ever has... "No lad, I'm afraid that won't do tha trick... Even so, this fog's keepin' us alive. We get seen, we get eaten by summat even worse than tha great watery beast from weeks ago..." He shakes his head. "No lad... we ride the fog..."

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-07, 12:06 AM
After the commotion of saving a drowning man died down, Derham returned to his quarters, returning to his quiet meditation, praying to Adamus to provide him with the strength he needed to rid this world of Evil.
------
As the mist enveloped the ship, and the crew grew silent, a shiver ran down Derham's spine. He finished his prayer, and rose to the deck.

"Captain, is there something wrong?" he asks, looking around the mist.

[roll0]
Using Detect Evil

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-07, 12:31 AM
"Nay, me boy. S'just the mists o' Shello." He looks over his shoulder at the Hellbred, "Been here since day one, be here 'til the last day." He takes a deep breath and says grimly, "If'n there is a last day o' this..."
He looks out over the crew and all the passengers and speaks up more heartily, "But what's the adventure in wanderin' safe lands, eh?! Hah!" He gives a big grin typical of him through even dark times.
You get a feeling deep in your stomach about this mist... It's not as if you can actually see the evil of it... you simply feel it. This is a whole new level of evil, unlike anything you've dealt with in your life.

Robert Frost
2008-05-07, 06:30 PM
"It is odd, to be so close to Shello again."

Sylph said, as his heart beat quicker as he felt the mist that once defined his homeland, remembering something similar to it as he left Shello so many years before. The mist itself was characteristic of the place, and reminded him of his childhood, and sorrow. For most of the past two weeks he had been on the deck of the ship, prepared for extreme hardship. He had stayed out of the way, knowing something of how to avoid being a nuisance aboard a ship, he had commissioned one and been on one or another for a reasonable portion of his adult life.

His hands remained in the air at most times, weaving shapes of the fog that settled about the ship. Peculiar shapes of diamonds, circles, some runes that appeared to be spells, but none of it was truly magic. It was something to pass the time, something to allow him another moment of sanity against the anxiousness he felt upon nearing Shello.

His homeland. The land that had made him an orphan, the place he had only seen the shore of several times since his Exodus from it as a child. Shello. A place of tormented evil that he felt it necessary to quench with his power. Power which had grown over the years, attuned with a slight bit of his hatred of the evil which permeated this place now, a hatred of things demonic or otherwise tainted by undead. They were abominable to him, and worthy of nothing but destruction and ruination by his own hand. He clenched his fist tightly at this thoughts, disrupting the images he drew with the fog and mist around him.

"One day.... One day I will return to my village and destroy the wretchedness that killed all whom I loved."

He muttered underneath his breath, before paying a bit of attention to what was going on around him. It all seemed so beneath him, a means to an end. That end, of course, being a return to the land of Shello, the land which should shake at his very coming - for he was angry, and he brought with him the desire to destroy and change the horrible things there.

Sorry for the long random post, but I wanted to get a better feel for the character. Here's a spot check, although you could reduce it somewhat as he wasn't paying too much attention to what was going on around him, rather introverted as he is.

Spot: [roll0]

TheMeanDM
2008-05-07, 08:57 PM
Nestarion had tried to absorb as much about sailing and running a ship as he possibly could in the days and weeks at sea.

When the fog enveloped the ship, he unsheathed his katana and set his shield to floating next to him. The unnatural, evil feeling that permeated the fog had him on edge.

He stood next to the captain, eyes watching the fog, trying to penetrate the thick wall of obscuring mist.

[roll0]

Maneuvers for the day:
Emerald Razor
Ruby Nightmare Blade
Mountain Hammer
Ironheart Surge

Flashing Sun
Soaring Raptor Strike
Moment of Perfect Mind
Shadow Blade Technique

Jack Mann
2008-05-08, 10:27 PM
[roll0]

Spells Pre-cast (with CL 19 from Prayer Beads on all except Heroes' Feast):
Mass Conviction (+5 morale bonus to saves for everyone)
Heroes' Feast (Immunity to Fear and Poison, +1 morale bonus to attacks, and [roll1] temporary hit points to everyone.)
Phantom Stag (Transportation!)
Armor of Darkness (+8 deflection bonus to AC and +2 unnamed bonus to saves vs. Holy, Light, and Good spells or effects to Taraliel)
Scales of the Sealord (+5 natural armor bonus for Taraliel)
Superior Resistance (+6 resistance bonus to saves)

"Such... lovely weather," Taraliel said. He was standing on the deck near Nesturion and the captain. Wisps of darkness seemed to slip from his clothing to insinuate themselves into the mist around him. His skin glistens with tiny scales. "It-is easy to... ignore some things in-weather-like this. Back... home, it was-preferable to some-of the things... in the light." He winced as he spoke, as though hit by something. Nearby, a bullish shape follows him placidly. It moves strangely, and its limbs don't seem to move quite right. Its horns glint in light that isn't there. It appears to be a creature only half-made. One can see through the skin in parts to see the muscle moving, or the organs squirm. There is a distinctly unreal sense to it, and it makes no sound as its hooves hit the deck. "And yet... something strange is-in-this. You... you feel it, don't-you? Nesturion? Shello is like-this. Often. I would-not come... here if I didn't-need to. I prefer... safer lands."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-08, 11:18 PM
For Taraliel and Derham ONLY!
Something dark in the grey mist catches your eye. Something... horrible, it looks like a bird, but so very different. It's body looks like that of a large raven, but the shine of it's feathers are dulled and appear to have soot on them. This is where the similarities of the raven and this particular bird end. It's head, instead of the normal head of a raven is replaced with that of an embalmed goat's skull with razored teeth and two glowing pinpoints of sickly green. It stares down over the boat a few times before noticing you looking at it and instantly takes flight, and disappears into the mist.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/Nny2/ScryCrowcopy2.png

Robert Frost
2008-05-09, 01:48 AM
Sylph's eyes went from the mist to the people on the deck. He wasn't particularly interested in the mist anymore, as he would be on the shore of Shello soon enough. That and his ability to draw shapes with the mist was of passing interest (at best) and therefore he required something else to fill his time. So he walked over to Taraliel, a figure he knew little about (having been saved by Nesturion and not knowing much about any of the other members of the crew and passengers).

"Odd friend you have there. Do you feed it apples?"

Said Sylph, his hands motioning toward the bullish phantom which seemed to follow around Taraliel. He didn't give it more than a passing glance before looking over Taraliel head to toe, holding a strong gaze.

"Sylphs the name. What's yours?"

His attention seemed focused on the man's eyes, a strange gleam in them. As he was becoming bored, a little conversation wouldn't hurt things... Or would it...?

Jack Mann
2008-05-09, 09:19 AM
"I-am Taraliel du... Shorning. I control the fundamental... forces of life-and-death. It-is a pleasure to... meet you." Taraliel's eye twitches slightly as he speaks. "Fortunately, I... do not feed-him anything. He isn't quite-real, in fact. Merely a... magical construct. He would, no-doubt, eat a great... deal, if it were... otherwise." He chuckles, a slightly wheezing sound, then looks into the sky. "Of course, speaking of... strange creatures, there-is-a member of the native... wildlife that may prove... harmful. Very common-for Shello. However. Its appearance is... unsettling to me. Familiar."

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-09, 11:04 AM
Derham stares up into the sky as well
"I wonder if I should wish it were familiar to me, All I know is it looks weak, but it's presence frightens me more than that fiendish squid."
He replies to Taraliel, although speaking in a tone almost as if he were talking to himself.

Adumbration
2008-05-09, 12:53 PM
Ah, yes, I was wondering how we would handle the pre-cast spells. Here are mine, he casts them practically every morning out of habit. Has saved his life more than once.

Control weather, untriggered, total duration: [roll0]. The result of this roll times two. Once triggered with a standard action, the radius is 3 miles.

Gale has also cast two Disintegrates into his Divine companion, giving a base of 12 to use on the applications of the companion - either healing self or protection.

He also has Overland Flight cast on himself, although he remains grounded on the ship.

Acknowledging Sylph with a look: "Greetings. You must be the shipwrecked one. I don't think we've been introduced: I am Gale of the storm."

Gale, directing a piercing glance towards Derham and Taraliel, distracted by their words. "What do you mean? The presence of what? ... What do you see, that I can not?" Gale starts scanning the skies with his eyes, following their lead.

Jack Mann
2008-05-09, 07:06 PM
"It's some manner... of-undead. I do-not recognize this... variety. It is strange... that I would not. Especially given the... resemblance. Perhaps I should have-stayed away. This-is no friend to... me, I am sure." Taraliel nods to Derham. "You should be... glad you lack-my... familiarity." The pause before "familiarity" sounds different, almost natural, as though he were trying to broach a difficult subject. He reached up to his half-mask, as though making sure it were secure. "The god that... my people worship-finds this form... appealing, for some-reason. It seems... I have not left my-home as far... behind as I had hoped. I fear-that I may be the... target."

He looks to the captain. "Sir, I... may have put this vessel in... danger. If-it-pleases you, I... think it might be best if... I departed. I will try-to draw them... off. You have-been hospitable. I would not have-you or... the crew-harmed on... my behalf. Nor the-others."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-09, 07:27 PM
The captain looks just about ready to say something before one of the crewmen walks up on deck and shouts, "Captain! We need to stop, the boarding of the hull wasn't strong enough! We need to beach the ship or we'll sink!" The captain seems to have his attention drawn from Taraliel as the crewman shouts, but is drawn right back to the elf when he's done. "'Fraid not, m'boy. Looks like we'll be headed fer land right about now, besides," He grins, "I like yeh too damn much! GET READY TO BEACH!"

Robert Frost
2008-05-09, 08:40 PM
At the Captain's words Sylph clutched to the rail for his dear life, he had been on ships before and a Breach didn't sound like it would be something fun for him to experience. His eyes darted about as he tried his best to hold onto the rail and not be thrown overboard in the case of the breach.

"Wastes of Shello, here we come!"

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-11, 03:42 PM
Derham looked confused, he knew what a beach was, and what was going on seemed more like crashing than docking, so he ran over to the mast, grabbed hold of a few sturdy ropes, and waited.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-11, 03:46 PM
The captain, despite his own advice simply stood on the deck, not even grabbing the wheel he stood behind as the crew braced themselves all over the ship. It's only a few seconds of even seeing the land before it and the ship become one in a destructive union. The ship is jolted, the sounds of cracking and metal bending are heard all over the ship, the captain somehow keeping his footing in the crash. It's a gut-wrenching few seconds of the momentum keeping the ship going in the grey-white sand before the ship finally stops.

"Well, f**k." The captain said frankly.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-11, 05:23 PM
Derham pulls himself up with the ropes, letting them go and rubbing his raw, red hands together.

"I would second that statement
...with less foul language.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-11, 11:03 PM
The captain and some of the crew look around the ship to survey the damage. Many of them going into the sand to see the central point of damage. "Looks like we're stuck on land 'til we get The Ol' Woman gets some work done." The captain rubs his beard looking to be in thought. "Well, we don't got tha supplies ter repair 'er." The crewman calls back up, "S'posin' we go lookin' for some? Could find a place, and j'know how many abandoned placed around 'ere there are."
"Aye! There ought to be, least there is fer some folk brave enough." He eyes the group with a smile.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-12, 08:14 PM
"My, that seems very convenient for you. The one time you beach yourself on Shello is the one time you're harboring fiend-killing philanthropists" He says in a low voice, then looks directly up at the sky

[roll0]
Spot check to see the wheels of fate.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-12, 08:17 PM
"'Appens more often then yah might think, actually..." The captain says scratching his chin.

The wheels of fate look kinda like fog.

TheMeanDM
2008-05-13, 08:45 AM
"Well, nothing else to do but disembark, I suppose." the diabolical Nestarion says, shrugging his large shoulders. He leaps over the side of the boat landing in the water with a splash, then strides ashore.

Jack Mann
2008-05-13, 02:17 PM
Taraliel climbed carefully onto the back of the bullthing. He nudged its sides, and it moved forward. As it did so, its hooves left the deck, rising up. It moved much more swiftly than something of its bulk should have been capable of, trotting on air.

Taraliel called out softly to the others. "I do-hope that... everyone is prepared to-run if it be...comes necessary. If we are... attacked, then go-swiftly, and they may not... give pursuit. If it is... who I am thinking, then-we may be dealing with... necromancers. Possibly servants... of their god." He shuddered. "But I may... be-wrong. Paranoid. It does... get to-you, when you-must hide."

Adumbration
2008-05-14, 11:12 AM
Gale gently floats over board to ashore. "It's good to be on land again. Well, kind of." He meaningfully glances at his airborn legs and snickers. Soon he sobers, though, and lands properly, pulling the hood of his robes up. No need to attract undue attention from any possible prying eyes.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-15, 02:43 PM
A man in a blue robe climbs a rope down the side of the ship and onto the beach and lands on his hands and knees. "Erh..." He gets up, dusting himself off and he holds his staff at his side and walks over the group. "Heh, morning gent's. I been told by the captain to be your guide, reckon I'd do since I been here before."

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-15, 02:46 PM
"Odd, I've always imagined the guide to death to be more, intimidating" he smirked. He wasn't very good at humor, but he tried, and slapped the new guy on the back "Hopefully we won't be worrying about that, right?"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-15, 02:55 PM
http://www.blakeneymanor.com/images/carryon/shock.jpg

TheMeanDM
2008-05-16, 08:27 AM
"Well met....." Nestarion says. He smiles, playfully. "May I ask the name of the man to whom I am entrusting my life?"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-16, 06:48 PM
"Ah, uh, yes..." He shakes the expression of shock from his face and holds his hand out to Nestarion, "Name's Arbin, Arbin Zenith." He grins, bright-eyed despite their location.

Adumbration
2008-05-17, 01:36 PM
Gale laughs, rather at the guide's expression than at the joke itself. "Good to meet you. I am Gale Stormdancer. Now... Sorry to be so crass, but I have to ask. What exactly makes you qualified to be our guide? You have been here before, you say?"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-17, 03:06 PM
Astrus is going to have to be absent until later in the week, and Vega's a damn flake so let's just pretend their manikins are standing around you whenever they're appropriate for it. Go ahead and hand a hat off them if you want.
"Well, yes!" He taps his fingers on his book, "Not to mention I'm a somewhat accomplished arcanist..." He smiles. "Me an' the wife used to live here, back in the day."

Jack Mann
2008-05-18, 09:34 PM
"And what... made you-leave, Mr... Zenith? Be specific-now. What... weapons did-they-have? Spells? Monsters? Undead, now... Undead are common. Popu...lar. Were there-undead? Do you-know? Tell us... now, and it may be of-use." Taraliel looked down from his mount, up above the others. He fingered the silver half-skull he wore around his neck. His eye darted around, as though at phantoms in the mist.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-18, 09:58 PM
"Well... I left here when the undead laid waste to the land..." He lowers his head and rubs the back of his neck. "Uh, left... alone." He looks back up with a phony smile, "But I am useful, I've got a few good spells to singe the dead flesh from their dead bones. Not t'mention a few beasts from beyond to summon. Even so, though, I just know a bit about the land... so... let's be off an' I can help you lot long the way."

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-18, 11:33 PM
Derham nods
"yes, we should leave"

Robert Frost
2008-05-19, 12:03 AM
Sylph waited a little before interacting with the man, his reasons for coming back were of greater importance to him than the more trivial questions which were currently being asked. Better to get them out of the way now, in order to facilitate his "quest". He knew only one thing about the things which had completely destroyed his family, the name by which they were called, as he hadn't felt it right to learn anything about them until he was ready, ready to destroy them, ready to retake all they'd taken from him. Ready for vengeance.

So he waited his turn, waited for him to answer the questions of the people who traveled with him on the boat. As they were kind enough people, Sylph didn't interupt, and was kindly patient. Although his body languaged was somewhat twitchy, his eyes moving from the person asking the question to the man who was answering them quite a bit, making him look quite a bit hurried. Especially his constant looks at the Wastes about him, the constant reminder of what he lost emanating from the very ground he walked on. It was terrible.

"Excuse me, but... Could you answer a question for me first?"

Sylph said, gathering up all his willpower in order to not explode into tears, or otherwise lose control. He failed slightly, and consequently rubbed his eyes quite a bit in order to hide a few small teardrops, three of which rolled down his face and landed on the ground with a small faint splash. He paused after asking, and looked down until he had completed regaining control over his emotions.

"I... don't expect much... but could you tell me what you know about the Cernin Guard? I'm going to kill them all after all."

There was no hesitation, no sense of humor, he was utterly calm when he said those words. Completely assured in the truth of that statement. It mattered to him, their death and destruction, and he would implement it as best he could.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-19, 07:18 PM
"Cernin Guard...? Oh, oh yes..." He taps his chin and looks up at the sky(or more accurately, at nothing) and speaks up in a kind of mumbled voice. "The official army of the territory of Cernin... on Arcnus Mortis. Lead by the emperor of Cernin, Vlaadios D'Skuur... Uh... Like to go into Shello and the coast of Tanzen to... um, kill." He looks back down and at Sylph.

Robert Frost
2008-05-20, 02:02 AM
Sylph's eyes smiled a little bit, and he let out a hard dry laugh, filling the air with his rich tenor. After a few moments he stopped, gathering himself together again, enjoying the fact that his opponents were powerful, strong, dangerous, and probably outnumbered him quite a bit. It would be a challenge, and challenges were always worth it in the end. Especially since he'd be avenging the murder of his entire clan, his entire town, in essence, the murdering of his entire life that could have been. He had no real relatives, no true family to call his own. Not that he was aware of at least.

"Good to know. Means that when I destroy them they'll have lost something. Their empire, their power, their very existence. Pain that I've felt will be revisited upon them tenfold."

And with that he quieted. He had no need to say anything else, although every few minutes he'd start laughing again, as though partially insane, laughing at the idea of what lay before him. Relishing it, enjoying it, wanting it. Not because he was insane, but because finally he had an image to associate with the name of the beasts which murdered his family. He would have stayed quiet, not feeling the need to say anything else had he not realized that he didn't know anything about where to find these Cernin Guard were.

"Er... sorry to bother you again but, is there any chance to happen to know a good way to get to the Cernin Guard? I believe they're owed something by me, and I just realized I have no means to reach them."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-20, 02:31 AM
He looks back after attempting to be off on the quest, "Uh, well. Um, you'd have to kill Vlaadios D'Skuur... and even then someone would just take his place. It's... not an easy task, even for the most powerful of us. Y'know? Now let's get going, we need to get supplies for the ship or we'll never get moving." He taps his staff on the ground and speaks a few words and makes gestures with his hand. Before him then stands a semi-translucent image of a chubby mare. "Come now, Stella. Good girl." He mounts it and he and his phantom steed are off on the road.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-20, 07:18 PM
With only a shrug, not even a look back at the others, he chases after their guide.

TheMeanDM
2008-05-20, 07:36 PM
Nestarion also hustles after the guide.

"You seem to be quite 'in the know' as it were about this land. Tell me, have you heard any stories or rumors..facts would be best of course...about devil worshippers?"

He grins at the guide. "I'm trying to set myself up as a god, you know. Finding followers on Tanzen was so hard to do."

He winks at the man, a gleam of mischeif in his eye.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-21, 02:12 AM
Arbin blinks and jerks his head up a little in shock as he looks over his shoulder, "You lots are stranger 'n the captain.

No 'ffence."

Robert Frost
2008-05-21, 02:48 AM
Sylph followed behind the guide as well, his questions having been answered to his (relative) satisfaction. He was satisfied that he knew what the Cernin Guard were, and who he would have to defeat and kill. While on the other hand he wasn't particularly happy that it wouldn't be easy to track down and kill the monsters. There was of course the good reason why he wasn't particularly happy...

And that was because he was exceptionally happy. The desire to hunt down and murder and destroy the people who had destroyed his family and relatives was a driving force in Sylphs life, and having a more directed drive did no one any harm. Save, of course, the Cernin Guard. If Sylph ever came across any (which he eventually would) those buggers would have to deal with the wrath of a more-than-a-little crazed Magus, who had more explosively dangerous spells than most Magus' twice his power.

"So, guide, person on phantom steed-thing, whoever.

He paused to catch the guides attention again, assuming the man wasn't fed up with his perpetual questions, if he didn't catch the man's attention he'd merely ask again in a few seconds the same question.

"Where do you get supplies in the middle of a wasteland? And do you know if we'll meet any Cernin Guard along the way?"

Although the last was probably a bit of a stretch, a part of Sylph was dying (figuratively) to get in a fight with someone or something. Hopefully his increasing boredom would be appeased by a tussle or fight of some sort.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-21, 02:55 AM
He still looked over his shoulder after speaking to Nestarion. "Well, cap'n says there'll be abandoned town, and I know there'll be lots of 'em on Shello to take supplies from. An' I doubt we'll find any Cernin Guard 'long the way, they focus mostly on Tazen nowadays, now that Shello's all but cleaned up."

"Weird lot, aint they, Stella?"

TheMeanDM
2008-05-21, 06:47 AM
C-ocking an eyebrow, Nestarion says "All joking aside. Do you know of any rumors about those who worship Asmodeus and his ilk? My friends in the Benediction have summoned me to aid them in their opposition to the Baatorian's plans."

Adumbration
2008-05-21, 07:04 AM
Gale follows the others, keenly listening - and gliding just a few inches above the ground.

The exam week just started today, so that's my excuse. After this my summer vacation starts, so I'll have plenty of time then.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-21, 01:55 PM
"Not sure 'bout devil cults around this area. If there are any they'd be on the smaller islands. Most kinds of cults 'round these lands are... well... Elder God temples..." He looks a little uneven and a decade older when he says that, as if thinking of it puts a strain on him.

Vaynor
2008-05-22, 10:25 PM
Astrus greets Arbin, and follows him and the group to their destination.

Jack Mann
2008-05-22, 11:15 PM
"Ah, the... elder gods. All-the petulence of the-youn...ger, and none of the-joy," Taraliel said, flicking his hair back. He rode his bull onward a bit. As it flew over the ground, he fingered the halfskull idly, looking around with suspicious eye. He then mutters briefly to himself, and the eye of the skull flickers briefly. Something behind Taraliel's mask flashes blue, and his face takes on a more relaxed look, almost as though he were meditating, touching on some higher truth.

Casting Lore of the Gods for +5 to all knowledge checks.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-23, 06:43 PM
For many hours you travel through the thick mist and on flat, dry land. The guide stays ahead, floating only a few feet to a few inches off the ground on his phantom mare, Stella. The mist grows dark as the sun above it slowly sinks and night falls on Shello.

"Alright," He slides off his mount and after stroking her neck she disappears. "let's set up camp."

Adumbration
2008-05-24, 02:32 AM
"Ah, yes. Just give me a second. There's a spell I've been dying to cast..." Gale reaches into a pouch in his belt, producing a tiny bell and some silver wire. "Stand back, it takes some space."

Gale casts Leomund's Hidden Lodge, basically a well-concealed and camouflaged version of the Leomund's Secure Shelter. See page 114 in CArc.

Jack Mann
2008-05-24, 03:21 AM
"That's... very nice," said Taraliel, watching the spell be cast. "Hidden Lodge, I-see. Hard to... see. But not-very comf...ortable. I believe... I shall sleep in-my mansion. You are-welcome to... join me. There will be... pheasant. And wine. You-like wine, don't... you? And if-I-set up my... portable hole within-your lodge, then we-shall-have the best... of both worlds. Hidden and... well furnished." He pulled his backpack from his shoulders, and removed the piece of cloth that he used to access his laboratory.

TheMeanDM
2008-05-24, 06:07 PM
Nestarion looks at the strange magician. "Wine and pheasant?" he says, stroking his chin. He looks to Gale, smirking playfully.

"Well, unless you've got wine, pheasant, and dancing girls on top of that..." he jerks his thumb over toward where Taraliel stood. "I'm with him."

Robert Frost
2008-05-25, 01:13 AM
Sylph looked at both of the other spellcasters and wondered which would provide a more likely abode for him this evening. In the end he decided it didn't matter, he was far too lazy to provide himself with somewhere to stay.

"So whose going to let me stay in their place to sleep? I can stay up all night but I shouldn't."

Jack Mann
2008-05-25, 03:26 PM
"There is no... reason-to decide between-them. My... mansion will keep-us comfortable, while-Gale's lodge will-keep us hidden, something my mansion... cannot do." He paused, while the lodge was set up. "If you have... a bag of-holding, then please... do not bring-it-within. A portable hole-does-not mix well with... a bag of holding. Leave it-in the lodge. Or I-shall be very... cross with you."

Robert Frost
2008-05-26, 01:44 AM
Out of simplicity, and without asking, Sylph heads into Gale's lodge.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-26, 02:41 AM
To be polite, Derham follows as well.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-26, 06:49 AM
Ardin rests his staff to his shoulder an watches as some of the group heads into Gale's shelter and speaks, "Well, uh, I'll come 'n stay in your mansion if you like Mr. Du Shorning." He smiles. "Ol' Mordenkainen has always been a great idol for me."

Everyone settles in the darkness around them, a small fire barely crackles, as if trying to dear life to maintain heat and light through the short distance of visibility of the fog. Silence covers the area, not but the sound of the dying fire is heard.
I need to know if anyone's taking shifts in keeping watch.

Adumbration
2008-05-26, 07:43 AM
Gale will sleep for two hours in the mansion, and then return to the hidden lodge to keep watch, just in case. The alarm spells are set to mental.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-26, 03:33 PM
Derham would gladly take the first watch, unless someone else takes it.

Robert Frost
2008-05-26, 04:29 PM
Sylph will take last watch for himself, getting his requisite 8 hours of sleep for spells.

Vaynor
2008-05-26, 08:34 PM
Astrus heads into Gale's lodge, happy for a comfortable place to stay the night.

Jack Mann
2008-05-27, 01:01 AM
Taraliel enters the lodge, then spreads out his cloth on the floor. Again, the tapestry gains another dimension, showing a room six feet across and ten feet deep. He climbs a ladder down, and finds a place on the wall. He pulls on something invisible, and a door opens in air. A room appears on the other side, looking like the foyer of a very expensive house. A translucent elf dusted the shelves, while another motioned for them to give it their coats. They looked rather like Taraliel, down to the half-masks they wore.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-27, 10:29 PM
There is a terrible rumble... a low, deep one that seems to flow through everything. Soon the rumblings become louder and physically shake the land... there is a sound of sick growling. Two huge black shapes walk through the darkened mist surrounding the area.
They don't seem to notice Derham as he sits by the fire, taking watch...

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-27, 11:02 PM
Derham watches the shadows for a moment, then calmly walks to the other sleeping members, and attempts to silently wake them, warning them of the large creatures outside.

Jack Mann
2008-05-28, 12:54 AM
Taraliel sighs. He leaves the safety of his mansion and climbs out of the hole, looking at the creatures beyond.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Jack Mann
2008-05-28, 01:00 AM
Since I didn't think to add it to the last post...
[roll0]

Jack Mann
2008-05-28, 01:33 AM
"Int...eresting," Taraliel whispered, peering out into the gloom. "They're dinosaurs. Tyrannosaurus-rex, to be... precise. Warped, necromantically, into-their-present forms. One does-not normallly see this kind of undead made of... animals. Smarter than-normal, surely. Hungrier, too. We could let them... pass. But-I-think... we can take them." He carefully mounted the bullish creature, which still stood nearby, ready to take to the air. "They likely lack defenses from-the-air, if you... have flight. They can swallow-a-man whole, if you think to... close with them. And they can par...alyze you-first. Close combat would... be a bad-idea, I think. Of course, before we-attack, we must... consider if they have allies. Masters. Scavengers. That bird... That strange, terrible omen on the wing... What shall we-do, friends?"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-28, 03:00 AM
The massive beasts approach the fire, watching it with curious, glowing red eyes and notice the open door of Taraliel's extraplanar mansion and one lurches down to sniff it, it's decayed snout poking it's tip in and breathing in and out weakly to get a scent... It's massive yellow teeth protrude over it's lower jaw and some have even grown out from above the lip, tearing it some. As it smells around and searches the smell of death invades almost the entirety of the mansion.
The second beast mis-steps and slams it's foot onto the fire, putting it out and coating the world again in darkness...

Adumbration
2008-05-30, 11:03 AM
Gale, peering through the shutters of the lodge, mutters. "Let there be light..." After whispered words and subtle weavings of magic, four small dots of light appear on his palm. At his gentle breath, the dots of light take off like little darts, shooting through the cracks of the shutter and illuminating the scene.

He then evokes the magic still lingering in his limbs, and floats outside as quietly and as high as possible.

First cast Dancing Lights and then leave the lodge, using Overland flight - there should still be duration on that. Go as high as possible, trying not to arouse their attentions.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-31, 02:05 AM
They both watch the lights as they suddenly zoom into view and make a grotesque roar simultaneously. They then both hesitate and turn their heads toward Gale as he floats in the air, one of which steps forward and attempts to latch his jaws around him.
Right before he can fly out of it's reach, it manages to close it's jaws around your waist, it's teeth like knives inside you.((22 Damage.)) The jaws are so tight you find yourself unable to move from it's grasp. The smell of incredible decay emanates from the mouth of the creature.
You are an unlucky PC.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-31, 04:46 AM
Initiative.
Nestarion - 26
Derham**** - 20
Taraliel - 19
Rex 1* - 16
Ardin - 15
Vega** - 12
Astrus** - 9
Gale*** - 8
Rex 2 - 6
Sylph - 3

*Currently biting Gale.
**If they can't post by the time their turn comes I'll NPC them.
***Currently being bitten by a dinosaur.
****About to show them why they should have stayed extinct! YEAH!!

TheMeanDM
2008-05-31, 08:37 AM
Rolling away from the fire, Nestarion stands and hurries over to assist Gale.

He leaps up into the air, and lashes out with his clawed hands, grasping onto the lower jaw of the great beast.

He attempts to use his great strength to pry the jaws apart...or at the very least..give the beast something else to focus on.

"Hey! Bone bag! Bite something that tastes good!" he taunts the creature.

Since I didn't get a chance to re-arrange, yet, because we didn't rest much and because I just haven't done it... :smalltongue:

Maneuvers for the day:
Emerald Razor
Ruby Nightmare Blade
Mountain Hammer
Ironheart Surge

Flashing Sun
Soaring Raptor Strike
Moment of Perfect Mind
Shadow Blade Technique

Jump Check (1d20+24=36) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1611530/) (allows for 8' vertical leap)

Melee Touch Attack (grapple) (1d20+19=38) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1611532/)

Opposed Str Check (1d20+9=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1611534/)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-31, 03:55 PM
The undead creature gazes down on the half-devil with it's gleaming red eye as Nestarion latches onto his jaw. The beast shakes his head some and grunts angrily. The piece of lip that Nestarion was grasping onto seems to rip and he almost slips off. Nestarion crawls up and attempts to pry the jaws of the monster open, having to force his hands onto the teeth of the monster.((6 Damage, DR not included))
He tries as he might, and even almost manages to rip the mouth open to free Gale, but the creature is simply too much to have a contest of strength with... The monster shakes it's head and a piece of tooth and flesh simultaneously fall from the undead dinosaur's dead, Nestarion loses his grip and falls to the ground below.((14 Damage, DR not included))

Regord_Silentflame
2008-05-31, 06:59 PM
"You should look to the righteous fury of the Gods, not the brutish force of fiends" Derham says to Nestarion, and lets out a warcry, bursting into glowing flames
"Release him you undead beast!" he shouts, and charges at the one chewing on Gale.

Activates Nimbus of Light (1d4 damage to undead in 20ft)
Charges, smites, uses strike of divine power.
Evil creatures make a Fort save 14 or take 1d6 dex, then 2d6 dex
(Charging, Smiting)
[roll1] Fists (+3 weapons)
[ROLL]15 Smite
[roll2] Divine Fire (half fire, half holy damage)

Jack Mann
2008-05-31, 08:17 PM
The strange elf studied the creatures for a moment, looking for weaknesses. Finally, he said, "Attack the... front of their-heads. Their ol...factory bulbs are so-large that there is-no room for... skull." Taraliel raised the half-skull up, and chanted in an ancient human language. A bolt of holy energy shot forth from his outstretched hand, arcing to the monster holding Gale.

Dark Knowledge [roll0]
Casting Bolt of Glory. [roll1] [roll2]

EDIT: Actually 31 ranged touch. +3 from the dark knowledge.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-01, 04:40 AM
Derham vaults himself through the air and his fist connects hard with the body of the beast. The bright green fire surges through the body of the creature, splitting and cracking it's undead flesh from beneath and almost burns Gale's feet. A terrible ripping sound is heard as it's torso splits open and boiling black ichor spills onto the ground below it.

The white-gold energy fires from Taraliel's hand and hits the undead tyrannosaur like a holy bolt of lightning and there's a crackling noise as the body begins to burn. The flesh of the beast looks like it very quickly cindering, blackening and falling off, leaving ripped up and blackened muscles stretched tight on yellow bones. It can only manage a terrible, unnatural grunt as it's jaw opens, releasing Gale and it falls over, motionless.

Ardin quickly runs out of the shack when he hears the commotion, holding his staff in hand and quickly straitening his top-hat. "By the gods!" He quickly loses his shock, trying to stay strong in the face of danger and notices the dinosaur as it falls over dead, and looks at the other one. "You'll not be devouring anymore of MY companions!" He begins speaking in a strange Celestial dialect, almost similar to Draconic and moving his fingers quickly, there before him stands a massive beetle with gold-bronze plates and blue-green eyes. It grunts oddly and Ardin runs up and gets on it's back and holds his staff forward, "Assist my allies, Poleus!" The creature makes a half-assed attempt at rearing back and charges the rex and opens it's complex mandibles, and again closes them around the undead dinosaur's leg, ripping flesh and spilling blood.

Vega runs into the doorway of the shack just as Ardin mounts the giant beetle. She immediately takes flight and begins casting a spell while airborne, her voice no more than a whisper as she speaks in a dark tongue, and like Ardin's speech, with some dialect similar to Draconic, but she seems less adept a conjurer than Ardin and seems to take longer...

Astrus charges right out of the shack as Vega takes flight, zeal on his face and in his heart. He heads directly toward the unliving rex and swings his two-handed blade, white fire burning on it but not harming him. It slashes deep into the opposite leg that the celestial stag beetle bit into, but ichor spills out all the same.

"...Good boy, Poleus."
"snrk"

Adumbration
2008-06-01, 05:14 AM
Gale, standing up and dusting his clothes, finding them coated with blood and ichor, spits in disgust upon the destroyed corpse. "You really shouldn't have done that." Then, turning his attention to the other, still standing example of mindless undead.

Reaching into a pouch in his belt, bringing up a pinch of dust and a lodestone, he mutters arcane words. His fingers begin to glow sickly green, as they weave a cat's cradle in the air. Finally, the fingers connect with a slam, and a green ray springs from them.

Casting Sudden Maximized Disintegrate on the remaining t-rex.

Ranged touch attack: [roll0]

Fort save DC 24, if fails the save, 192 damage, if it makes it, 30 damage.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-01, 05:54 AM
The pale green light shoots through the mist, punching a perfect hole through it. The beam strikes the creature directly and the flesh it strikes suddenly turns to ash. The creature then staggers a bit as it's entire body falls into a small pile of grey dust... The sounds of it's last hideous cry echoing through the darkness and fog of Shello before leaving behind a dead silence.
Encounter over, 161 XP all around!

Regord_Silentflame
2008-06-01, 06:09 AM
Derham walked over to the first felled T-Rex, and circled around it for a moment, then stopped, looking up at the rest of the group.
"Wait...these are not the creatures I saw. They are too...small."

Adumbration
2008-06-01, 06:19 AM
"Then what did you see?" As you watch him, Gale's wounds start knitting themselves up, and soon there is hardly any sign that there were any at all. With a wave of his hand and a word he starts cleaning up his clothes and mending the ruptures in the fabric.

Healing through divine companion, expending 6 spell levels from the pool: [roll0] damage healed. Mending and Prestidigitation used to clean up and fix the clothing. Sorry about not using the colors for the speech, but for some reason almost none of the forum posting features work for me at the moment.

Adumbration
2008-06-01, 06:20 AM
Seeing that his wounds were not quite healed, he furrows his brow and concentrates again.

Of all the luck... 3 more spell levels expended, 3 left: [roll0].

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-01, 07:17 AM
There's a hideous growling... and a roar unlike that created by the ones before. This one's deeper, more guttural... and angrier. Two more shapes emerge from the darkness and mist. Stockier, more muscular and burning hate in their glowing red eyes... Their maws seem worn as if from eating too much over it's lifetime, exposing mouthfulls of even larger yellow teeth, like mouthes full of swords instead of daggers.
A colossal foot slams down, cracking the earth below it as two more undead creatures come into view, much larger and much nastier than the ones just slain... The first roars again, and takes a step forward, quickly lurching down and throwing it's massive jaws around Ardin and his golden beetle. Ardin falls from the jaws and manages to receive a hideous wound across his leg, the insect being crushed in the jaws of the monster as it's lifted off the ground with a sickening sound, and bright red blood falls to the ground, the beetle struggles in agony.
Ardin cries out, "No!! He's in pain!" Ardin tries to stand, but finds his wound has left the very bones of his leg exposed and his muscles worthless, wincing in horrible agony as he grasps the bleeding wound.

TheMeanDM
2008-06-01, 10:43 AM
(Where are we in initiative?)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-01, 01:58 PM
(Where are we in initiative?)

(Still in normal initiative, so Sylph's turn.)

Adumbration
2008-06-01, 02:06 PM
(Still in normal initiative, so Sylph's turn.)

Ah, so I messed up with my post? I just assumed that the battle was over. Should I edit it out?

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-01, 02:50 PM
Ah, so I messed up with my post? I just assumed that the battle was over. Should I edit it out?

No, you're good. That was your turn, we're just keeping the initiative order with the new monsters. I don't want to just skip Sylph's turn.
Edit: You can post your emotive reactions, they don't need to be in initiative order.

Robert Frost
2008-06-02, 12:21 AM
As he watched, Sylph's gaze fell upon Ardin as the creatures snatched up his beetle and attacked him. Rubbing the tired sleep out of his eyes, he waved his hands slightly and muttered a few words under his breath, aiming directly behind the creatures. Without a second's pause, fire erupted from his finger-tips and launched out at the beings, and even more frightening, within moments a second ball of flame followed the first. Being a master of evocation, he was able to project the flames with great ability.

One quickened fireball, one maximized, both via spontaneous casting so the save DC is 20 per spell

[roll0] First Fireball

Second Fireball deals maximized damage, 68 damage.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-02, 03:57 PM
The great undead beast roared out in a deathly rage. Some of it's undead flesh burns off the body, but it manages to keep standing. Yellow teeth and the smell of decayed gore become far too apparent as it bellows it's cry of anger.

Vaynor
2008-06-05, 08:52 AM
Astrus recoils in disgust at the sight of the undead monstrosities.

Just a post to ask where I am in initiative, I'm not really sure at this point.

Adumbration
2008-06-05, 09:22 AM
"Oh for Lady's sake, there's more of them?!" Gale grimaces.

I *think* it's Nestarion's turn, seeing that we're going by the same initiative order. This would mean that your character, Astrus, will go before Gale and after Vega.

TheMeanDM
2008-06-07, 08:13 AM
Is it my turn? I can't tell....

Jack Mann
2008-06-07, 12:32 PM
Yes, we're at the top of the initiative order. You, then Derham, then me.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-08, 03:52 PM
Yes, it's Nestarion's turn. Initiative is still in place.

TheMeanDM
2008-06-09, 11:08 AM
Nestarion moves to attack the closest creature, leaping into the air as he does so.

I have no idea how close these things are to Nestarion or how many are actually left (1 or 2?).

Seeing as how these are larger creatures than I am, I'll use Soaring Raptor Strike.

[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll=Damage]1d10+14+1d6 (not sure why that didn't work, use below)
1d10+1d6+14=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1621023/)

[roll3]

[roll4]

Robert Frost
2008-06-10, 11:16 AM
"Nice jumping there, bet that one will feel it in the morning. Ha! Morning! I wish I could be sleeping right now..."

Sylph stated nonsensically, his gaze settling upon the monstrous creatures he had managed to sizzle with his scorching sphere of serendipitous spontaneous combustion.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-06-10, 11:22 PM
"Hold the line, don't let the beasts attack the others!" He shouts, and charges at the undead that Nestarion did not attack.

[roll0] Tumble
[roll1] Charging Attack (AC 32)
[roll2] Damage [roll3] Maneuver (Holy) [roll4] Nimbus (holy)

Creature must make a DC 14 Fort save or take [roll5] Dex damage (ravage, so it affects undead)

Regord_Silentflame
2008-06-12, 12:54 AM
(Sorry, I forgot my stance)

[roll0] Half Fire, Half Divine

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-12, 01:07 AM
Nestarion leaps through the air at the beast, his deadly foreign sword shines in the magical light. He swings hard and the curved blade sinks into it's flesh, and rips a terrible gash in the dinosaur's side, rotten, cold blood spills out as if from a horrible organic boil in the creature's side.

The hellbred warrior dodges and rolls on the ground to avoid the jaws of the other terrible monster and manages to do so with skill. His fist burns brightly, almost overwhelming Gale's spell with green-white light and he strikes at the beast with his burning limb. The beast roars in agony as holy energy surges through it and cracks it's skin some.

Taraliel's turn.

Jack Mann
2008-06-12, 08:38 PM
Taraliel directed the shadowy bull up and out of the creatures' reach. He then raised his hand and chanted a handful of dark syllables that grated against the ear. A ray of dark, malignant energy, the opposite of what he'd fired before, struck the creature Nestarion was fighting.

[roll0]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-13, 06:28 PM
The undead flesh of the ghoulish beast seems to split up and crack. It bellows in pain but does so as if barely feeling it. Dead blood shoots out and oozes to the ground around it as it drops the dead body of the summoned animal, which quickly disappears. It then lashes out at Derham with it's massive jaws and clenches tight around his body and lifts him into the air. ((28 Damage.))

Ardin looks horrified as his summoned mount falls in a bloody mess and disappears. "Oh... gods..." he utters in horror but tries shaking it off and begins moving his hands for another spell, his only chance to do anything due to his viciously wounded leg.
After just a couple seconds, he holds his hand out and speaking quickly, "I'msorrybutthiswasmybestoption!" his hand spews forth a massive cone of sapphire blue fire, enveloping the beast that's got it's jaws around Derham. ((34 Fire damage.)) The monster appears burnt and staggers but still looks strong in the face of battle.

Vega's Turn. Who actually promised to post tonight.

Ellas Aramond
2008-06-16, 09:21 PM
"Kemen!" Vega shouts as she completes her summoning, causing the greatsword-wielding form of a hound archon to appear next to the wounded beast. Following her mental command, the celestial proceeds to start tearing into the monster.

Not allowing her summon to distract her, the winged woman quickly launches into another spellcasting, this time drawing upon her chosen element to strike the beast down.

[spoiler] Aura of Menace: Will DC 16 Negates
Archon greatsword attack 1: [roll0]
Archon greatsword attack 2: [roll1]
Archon Bite Attack: [roll2]

Archon greatsword damage 1: [roll3]
Archon greatsword damage 2: [roll4]
Archon bite damage: [roll5]

Chain Lightning Damage: [roll6] (half damage for secondary bolt)

Ellas Aramond
2008-06-16, 09:28 PM
Got a critical on that first attack.

[roll0]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-21, 04:50 PM
The archon swings it's sword once, striking with utmost power. He swings again and bites, but they don't seem to penetrate the flesh of the beast. The first strike splatters dark, decayed blood all over the ground and onto the archon itself, but it seems to push through the terrible smell and ichor.
The lightning flies from Vega's hand and collides with the monster, the smell of burning flesh instantly fills the air along with the smell of ozone. An arch springs up from the dinosaur and strikes the other, with more smells of burning flesh and ozone.

Astrus' turn.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-24, 07:52 PM
Hell, I'll NPC him.

Astrus rushes the dinosaur while gritting his teeth, narrowly avoiding the jaws of the beast as he charges. He swings his blade in a wide arch around his side and into the leg of the monster. It jerks it's leg away when it's struck and decayed gore sprays from the wound for a moment and all over the paladin.

Gale's turn.

Adumbration
2008-06-25, 02:25 AM
Gale, following Vega's example, utters the arcane words and sends forth a bolt of lightning at one of the creatures - the one that was the second target of Vega's lightning.

18d6 of electricity damage and 4 sonic damage plus possible stun from Thunderbolt class feature. DC against getting stunned for 1 round is 24, and the save is Fortitude. The Chain lightning will, as per post, first hit Vega's secondary target, and then the primary target. Reflex save for half DC is 24, and the chain lightning deals half the damage to the secondary target.

[roll0]

By the way, I'm still out on the trip, I just happened to have access to internet with my cousin's computer. Will be back by Sunday, probably.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-26, 02:38 AM
The smell of burning flesh and ozone is now thick in the air, almost overwhelmingly so. More flesh falls from the beast where it's been struck and burns on the ground. The other massive abomination roars out with a terrible sound... the very ground shakes under it's call as it rushes the first thing it saw attack it's companion: Vega.
It's jaws reach up high to latch onto the winged woman, a stinking maw of yellow teeth and a scent like an open grave. It hits with great force around the girl, saw-like teeth sinking into her tender flesh and holding her fast((34 Damage and you're grappled)). It then lowers it's head and swings her around in it's jaw, the smell getting worse as Vega begins to smell her own blood dripping from the monster's jaw to the ground below.

Sylph's turn.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-29, 11:02 PM
OOC: I think you need to edit your post as to not kill several party members.

Robert Frost
2008-06-30, 01:49 PM
Deleting old post as this one actually requires rolls

Sylph smiled wickedly as he watched the fight before him - the monstrous creatures attacking the *good* allied forces. It pleased him, to see the battle to destroy the horrid creatures, and he decided at this point he would do his best to destroy the one attacking the rather pretty winged person. Winged people couldn't possibly deserve eating, he determined rather whimsically.

"Horrible beasts! Deserving of death! I think that you shall feel the taste of... dust. Yes! Dust! Ashes to ashes, and DUST to DUST."

With a rather dry laugh he twirled his fingers and pointed his hand at the creature grasping the poor flying woman. A beam of green light shot from his fingertips at the creature.

*sigh* I don't know why I didn't think of this at first, but we'll see how well this works out for us. I'm casting distintegrate, the DC isn't as high as my usual spells, but I figure that it wouldn't be horrible.

[roll0] Against touch, Fort DC: 23

Damage: (if failed fort save)

[roll1]

Damage: (if did not fail save)

[roll2]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-06-30, 07:32 PM
The massive beast takes the beam directly to the space between it's neck and it's chest and it roars, the sound coming from around Vega's confined body, which just makes the smell even worse. It staggers as most of it's body is ripped away and falls to dust, now it stands as a mostly skeletal creature with remnants of burnt flesh and muscle but it still stands, if a bit shakily.

Nestarion's turn.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-07, 05:24 AM
OOC: Where the hell is Nestarion?

TheMeanDM
2008-07-08, 09:34 AM
Nestarion has been in Hell, actually :smallyuk::

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77587&page=2

(I'll edit this post with something a bit more meaningful later)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-08, 12:04 PM
Oh, sorry about that. I didn't know.:smallfrown:

TheMeanDM
2008-07-08, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I barely had time to post an update to the players in my own games over the past week/week and a half, :smallfrown: else I would have included you, Krimm. :smallwink:

TheMeanDM
2008-07-09, 10:58 AM
Nestarion was surprised at the tenacity and tougness of these creatures.

Swinging his sword twice more at the creature.

Attack 1 and 2, plus crit checks
Attack 1 1d20+23=33
Attack 2 1d20+18=23
Crit Check 1 1d20+23=25
Crit check 2 1d20+18=33 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1655797/)

Damage 1 1d10+2d6+14=26
Damage 2 1d10+2d6+14=33 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1655795/)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-09, 11:28 AM
The first strike of Nestarion's sword manage to sink right into the leg of the terrible monster, terrible gore and ichor splattering all over the half-devil. The monster roars in discomfort and stomps around as if to face him.
He swings again with his vicious blade but as the beast shifts he barely manages to miss it by mere centimeters.

Derham's Turn.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-07-10, 04:14 PM
"DAMNED CREATURE FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE, YOU SHALL NOT FEAST ON ANY PERSON HERE WHILE I LIVE!! He shouts angrily, then bows his head, pressing his hands together, and his fingertips against his forehead "Great Adamus, grant me the power to save those who need my help, and to restore their wounds". He raises his head again, spreading his arms and looking to the sky, the bright holy light bursting from him, washing over the Massive Undead creature next to him, and tearing the last remnants of it's unholy life from it's form, and it's flesh starts to crumble, and it's body falls apart into a heap on the ground. Derham then turns to the other creature, and launches at it, his fists glowing with white light as they crash into the beast's leg, the light bursting from his fists upon impact, washing over the area. He then stands below the creature, his fist clenching around the beast's muscle in it's leg, and he shouts up at it.

"I'M RIGHT HERE YOU UNHOLY BEAST, FREE MEAL FOR THE TAKING!

I was told by the DM that my Nimbus did enough damage to kill the T-Rex holding Vega without rolling for damage
[roll0] Rallying Strike on the other T-Rex
[roll1] damage from fists, +3 bludgeoning weapons
[roll2] Healing for entire party

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-20, 01:53 PM
The beast bellows as it's struck, decay and blood spewing from it's mouth as Derham's fist slams hard into the belly of it. As he does, white pulses of energy emanate from where the fist hit the dinosaur, closing some of the wounds of the party members. It staggers slightly but looks as strong as ever.

Taraliel's turn.

Jack Mann
2008-07-26, 12:28 AM
"I begin... to run out-of spells, gentlemen. I think it best... if we end this-fight-quick...ly." He made a circle with his thumb and forefinger, then occulted it with his other hand, mimicing the cycle of the moon. As he did, he sang several syllables of elvish. A glimmer of light flashes from his mask, and a silver mote flashes across the way to the remaining undead dinosaur.

Casting Moon Bolt. I'm going to need a will save. DC 24. If it fails, it's helpless for [roll0] rounds.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-07-31, 05:55 AM
Sorry for the lateness of the response.
The beam beats into the undead body of the monster and it roars but suddenly is rendered still and stuck in one place. It's body seems to shake before remaining statue-still with an unnerving silence in it's wake.

Arbin pants and remains sitting, unable to move because of the vicious wound in his leg. "It's been rendered still! We must destroy it!" There is panic in his voice. After that he begins to chant draconic words and move his hands, pointing his hand at the remaining rex while holding a crystal cylinder and a bolt of lightning fires forth from it and into the rex's body, but the beast remains still.

Vega's Turn.

Ellas Aramond
2008-08-06, 03:27 PM
"Its not dead yet? Dengen diial-hoon."

Closing her eyes, she whispers a few words to Obad-Hai and calls down a blast of divine fire on the monster, as the archon continues to attack.

Archon greatsword attack 1: [roll0]
Archon greatsword attack 2: [roll]1d20+3[/roll
Bite Attack: [roll1]

Archon greatsword damage 1: [roll2]
Archon greatsword damage 2: [roll3]
Bite damage: [roll4]
Purified Flame Strike: [roll5]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-08, 04:19 PM
I need to get better at posting more quickly on this thread...
The spiral of flames, golden and pure slam into the ground, causing the grey mist to temporarily dissipate with an almost inaudible scream... It slams down onto the rex and burns it's terrible unholy body with crackling and foul-smelling smoke that emanates from it's body. It staggers and if it had lungs, it would likely be panting. It's head then lurches up and it roars at Vega, hatred in it's red eyes.

Astrus' Turn.(I'll give him about a day before I NPC him)

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-09, 03:22 PM
Astrus swings hard several times at the creature, trying to cut it's legs open in an attempt to bring it down. Each of the three blows is deft and true, cleaving undead flesh from the monster's legs as it continues to stagger, but is still rendered helpless to move or act at all.
Each one of the open wounds that Astrus imposes on the beast and spills more decayed blood and gore, a good deal of it spilling over onto a surprised looking Astrus Bellakin.

Gale's Turn.

Adumbration
2008-08-09, 03:29 PM
"Why can't you die!" Gale weaves the air with his spell again, storm crackling between his fingers. A bolt of lightning shoots forward.

Casting Orb of Electricity: 15d6 of electricity damage and 4 sonic damage. Spell resistance doesn't apply.

Attack roll (ranged touch attack): [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-11, 04:56 PM
There's a shaking kind of roar as the massive ball of electricity hurls through the air, leaving a crackling and dimly glowing trail, and strikes the beast. It seems to actually enter it's body through the neck and pummel it's way into it's torso where it dissipates in a harmful way. It's body cracks and breaks up as electricity arcs to the ground beneath it. There's a sick silence... And the beast simply topples over lifelessly.

WOOO! Good job, I intentionally mode those bastards hard as hell. That's 9,000 XP all around!

Robert Frost
2008-08-12, 02:59 AM
Sylph clapped his hands together and laughed maniacally, obviously glee filling his face as he sees the creatures drop. He had hit them hard, and was proud of it, killing creatures that should still be dead was enjoyable to him. These creatures were mere reminders of the pain that Sylph suffered in the death of his family, and what he opposed - the undead menace.

"Look at those horrible dead beasts. Better not move you stupid rotten lizards! Do it and I'll sick sparky on you this time!"
question.
Laughing louder, Sylph was overcome with giddiness, almost giggling with happiness as he took note of his surroundings. He hoped for more monsters, more undead to waste, destroy, and otherwise remove. But when none seemed apparent to him, he considered his options, and wondered if maybe they should get some more rest for the evening.

"Should we try and get some more sleep?"

Sylph asked to no one in particular, hopeing for someone to answer his question as his gaze once again settled on the dead creatures. He muttered something under his breath, the slightest sound possible,

"Wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just not care..."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-18, 05:04 AM
You spend several more hours sleeping, whoever is on watch at any point does not run into any trouble along the way. The only signs of morning is the light siphoning it's way through the mist, the grey coldness still clutching you like a dead claw.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-08-19, 02:04 AM
Before the night

After the battle, Derham looks about at the others, happy with their condition, he nods and goes back to sleep once more, hoping to finish his sleep before more creatures came.

After

Derham wakes up early, feeling that caution was worth more than rest. He gets up, and scouts the area, circling their encampment a hundred feet away and then making larger and larger circles, returning to check on the group after every pass.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-08-24, 05:35 AM
Not to be rude, but let's get our asses moving.

Adumbration
2008-08-24, 06:23 AM
Sorryeh. Still here.

"Now, isn't this a cheery morning?" Gale yawns and starts his morning ablutions.

Jack Mann
2008-08-30, 09:41 PM
"In...deed," Taraliel said, emerging from his mansion. His smile, half-hidden by his mask, was almost innocent looking. He whistled a snippet of song, a light airy piece. "Any-day that you wake up... to is a gift well-earned." He packed his belongings carefully. "Let us... away, gentlemen. We must find-our-supplies. Then we-can get to our... own affairs."

Taraliel illustrated (http://nny2.deviantart.com/art/Taraiel-du-Shorning-92858349)

Regord_Silentflame
2008-09-08, 06:36 PM
I wonder, if this game is dead, does that make me a ghost?
That'd really suck, though, all my abilities would be rendered useless

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-09-08, 10:07 PM
OOC
Let's kick this mofo into gear.
You wake up and perform your morning rituals, packing up what you may and getting back on the road. There's a path that eventually surfaces from the dust and decay. After only a few hours of walking on that path you begin to see shapes in the distance... It appears to be the walls of a town.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-09-09, 08:28 PM
Derham spots the city, and speaks without making eye contact to anyone.

"A city, hopefully this one is inhabited, and we can find the supplies that the captain needs to repair his vessel"

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-09-09, 08:55 PM
Your guide from the ship speaks up, walking with a slight limp and holding himself up on a staff. "You're right! Hopefully this is as far onto this island as we'll have to go... the gods know we've come across more than I wanted to so far."

Adumbration
2008-09-10, 08:07 AM
"Ah, finally we shall have respite from this dreadful wasteland." Gale's voice filled with half-formed sarcasm. "Next time we have to camp somewhere, let's just stick indoors, okay? So much safer."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-09-13, 07:08 PM
You approach the walls of the city, they seem decayed and in a heavy state of disrepair. The gates of the city seem broken and cracked, with many cracks large enough for any normal person to just slip through. In large bronze letters in a strange script, it reads Paarlym.

Ellas Aramond
2008-09-14, 08:05 PM
"I can't say that I like the feeling of this place." Vega says, looking at the walls of the damaged city. I'll take a look from up high to see if we have anything to worry about."

And with that, she takes to the sky to get a better view of the city.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-09-14, 08:08 PM
Vega can see a bit better from this distance, it seems all the houses visible despite the fog are in a state similar to the gates; broken, decayed and completely abandoned.

The Demented One
2008-09-15, 02:07 PM
As Vega flies up, she hears the sound of shattering glass, and sees a man leap through a window, flailing in the air, before landing just by the gates. "My god, you're alive!" the man shouts in surprise. He is a short, weedy figure, his body draped in a white labcoat several sizes too large for him. His eyes are covered by smoked-glass goggles, which have an array of colored lenses of varying sizes hanging in front of them, suspended on clockwork mechanisms.

"There's something following me, you all need to run. This city's become a breeding ground for the dead, so to speak, must be something to do with the essence cascade of negative energy throughout the local leylines." A strange device is strapped to his back, and he reaches for it, pulling it off. It resembles a lute, but it is made of metal, and has a strangely curved shape. The instrument, if that is what it is, has no strings: instead, five buttons of various metals run down its neck, and a clockwork mechanism like an elongated switch sits in the middle of its body. He holds the strange lute, which leaks steam through various pipes emanating from its neck, and reaches into his coat, pulling out a sleek metallic instrument that resembles a handbow, but without arms or quarrel.

"I think it might be a good idea if we all got ready to, you know, draw our bloodied steel and fight desperately against the undying horrors of the netherworld, all that breed of stuff."

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-09-15, 07:21 PM
Suddenly, there's a shaking in the ground, a sound that reminds you of an avalanche echoes through the area. There's an explosive burst which smashes through the wall that once held the window the new man threw himself out of. Through it is a terrible cascade of old bones of all types falls out like an avalanche, including the very large skull of some draconic creature. They fall to the ground nearby but even as the bones continue to flow it begins merging into one being, somewhat snake-like in appearance with the large draconic skull taking on the role of the beasts head. It bellows with an incredible unholy noise like the sounds of hundreds of the dead being tortured in Baator.
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/libris_gallery/84740.jpg

Initiative
Taraliel - 24
Nestarion - 23
Vega - 22
Dr. Abney - 20
Bone beast - 16
Gale - 14
Astrus - 9
Derham - 8

Map coming soon, feel free to have a reaction post.

Regord_Silentflame
2008-09-15, 07:30 PM
[roll0] Knowledge religion for the off-chance I know what this is

Derham readies himself at the feel of the earth quaking beneath him. As the bone creature rises up again after its fall, he stares at it in reverent horror, muttering under his breath
"To see such abominations on this side of the battlefield is bitter irony. My lord Adamus, grant me the power to atone for my transgressions, and save these innocents from falling the way of so many others.

He takes a leap forward, his aura flickering about him. He shouts to the others without turning his head.
"CAREFUL MY COMPANIONS, REMAIN SAFE AS I BLOCK THE CREATURE'S PASSAGE He takes a defensive stance, rooting his feet to the ground and staring unblinking at the undead serpent, waiting to react to the creature's assault.

Adumbration
2008-09-15, 11:15 PM
Gale takes a step back in surprise, throwing his hands in front of him, preparing to fight for his life once more on this desolate place.

The Demented One
2008-09-16, 12:26 PM
The new arrival takes his strange steam-lute in both hands, beginning to play. His the fingers of his right hand fly over its neck, depressing and releasing the buttons in melodic patterns, while he strums at the clockwork switch with his left. The sound that comes from the machine is that of an array of steam-pipes cleverly set up to mimic the sound of strummed strings. As he plays, an aura of grey light begins to coalesce around the steam-lute. Then, with a mighty strum, he releases it, sending arcing bolts of positive energy that fly to the weapons of his newfound companions, causing them to shine with light.

OOC

Using Thaumaturgic Rhapsody to cast Lesser Weapon Augment on Astrus's greatsword, Nestarion's katana, and his own death ray. All these weapons gain the undead bane special ability for as long as he plays, and for 5 rounds thereafter.

Jack Mann
2008-09-19, 11:36 PM
"Ah. Unfortu...nate, but-not-un...foreseen, gentlemen. I imagine that you al...so imagined we might-see undead again, and-so did... I. I-am not unprepared for this... contingency." He guides the spectral bull up and back from the creature, then up again and towards it. As he moves, he speaks, making gestures with his free hand. "Con...tingency, from-the middle elvish contigere, to-touch closely. Yet, with such asss these, I've-found it best to 'void close... contact. Poisons, energy drain, and disease, especially... disease. Soap! Soap kills it! I've seen! My eyes see more clearly than you know. I've seen the disease, the life under life! It spreads touch for touch, breath for breath, seeping, finding, killing, but it can be killed! Soap, heat, or spells, it can be defeated!" As he speaks, his hand begins to glow, and a halo of bluish light appears around his head.

"From my hand will come the cure," he says. "My magic is our ward." The light intensifies, and then, in a flash, discharges at all members of the group.

"My eyes see the Sparrow's Fall! My breath restores its flight! I am Taraliel du Shorning, master of the gates of life!"

Jack Mann
2008-09-19, 11:46 PM
Whoops, forgot to mention what I'm doing...

First, Taraliel's active spells from the morning are phantom bull, armor of darkness, mass conviction, and heroes feast. Mass conviction and heroes feast give everyone +5 morale bonus to saves, +1 morale bonus to attacks, immunity to fear and poison, and [roll0] temporary hit points.

He moved the bull back and around in as tight a loop as he can to gain about fifty feet of altitude. He has just cast haste on the group. +1 to attack, +1 dodge to AC and reflex, +30 feet to movement.

Also, while we're on the subject, [roll1]. This is just for identification, since he used his move action to get the bull where he needed to.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-09-22, 11:14 PM
The beast doesn't seem to pay any attention to the bull-riding elf, the sound of bones creaking is heard with every movement it makes.

Nestarion's turn.

If he can't post in a day or so I'll NPC him.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-09-27, 08:01 PM
The great and powerful horned creature rushes the bone creature, holding his ancient blade at the beast, striking with all of his might while barely avoiding the lashes of the beasts jaws and tail. His blade connects with the solid bone of the monster, not cutting as deep as he would have against normal flesh, but still leaving a vicious mark.

Vega's Turn.