Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
so, I was considering making a social character for a campaign and I was thinking about how magic would effect the wheeling and dealing of upper-class courts.
Tricks I use:

1)You never meet the important people for deals. You meet a servant or agent or such. They don't even need much protection as they can't give you anything you want. Some people would go through three or four levels of agents. This can also work if the agent is in disguise as the person, either mundane or magical. Summoned creatures also work well for this.

2)You never get to see the important person. They stay in the dark, behind a wall, behind an illusion, or whatever is needed. You can't use most magical effect with no line of sight.

3)Bodyguards. Any important person will have a 'mind bodyguard' that watches out for them. Someone who says close by and watches for magical effect and such. Constructs are good for this, as are undead. And things like familiars.

4)Plenty of places operate safe zones. Like high class places to eat and drink. They might be anti-magical, or covered in lead or such.

5)Magic is a lot like a modern gun, you can't take it everywhere. For example, if you have a meeting with the President of the USA, you will simply NOT be allowed to bring a gun with you. The same would be true of magic, and there are ways to stop spellcasting.