1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Default Looking for an elegant, low-level adventure

It looks like I have to take the DM seat for a while again, so I am looking for a nice adventure for it. I'd very much like to run a game which breaks the mold and offers the character opportunities to focus on their characters and the story rather than what's behind the next dungeon door and how to kill it.

In particular, I'm looking for an adventure that

• Has a low starting level (1-4, perhaps up to 6)
    • Encourages role-playing, at least occasionally
    • Is more than just a dungeon crawl
    • Ideally has a non-linear plot

A great example would be The Red Hand of Doom, which covers all the points above. Unfortunately, it's not an option - the players already know it.

Background on the group: it's an odd group of players with...

• Several years of D&D experience each
    • Varying degrees of rule knowledge (including none - yes, I am aware that this is strange)
    • Varying degrees of optimization skills
    • Not used to roleplaying and (non-accidental) character development, although I believe most would enjoy that

House rules: to address character imbalance due to varying rules knowledge and optimization skills, I'll likely restrict the available classes to Tier 3 (and perhaps 4) classes.

So far I've read a number of online reviews of official adventures (it's not a requirement that the adventure I pick is official, I just found more reviews for those) in that level range and found a few that seem to have one or more things I'm looking for. Unfortunately, they also seem to have drawbacks. The three I'm still considering are:

• The Sunless Citadel (drawback: dungeon crawl, somewhat linear plot)
    • Sons of Gruumsh (drawback: seems too similar to Red Hand of Doom, linear plot)
    • Whispers of the Vampire's Blade (drawback: very linear, but might be ok given the theme; plot holes)
    • The Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde (drawback: linear, almost pure dungeon crawl)

Any suggestions or comments? Any personal experiences with adventures that fit the criteria, perhaps?
    Last edited by Tytalus; 2011-01-04 at 05:51 AM. Reason: Clarified player attitude, etc.