1. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Thumbs up Re: [dnd 3.5e] Renaissance/Industrial weapons?

There are more firearm homebrews written than pellets of #9 shot in a 12ga shell. That said, you can approximate some of your own... how I run firearms is vaguely as follows:

Spoiler
    Show
    A musket (or muzzle-loading shotgun) is the basic weapon, maybe 2d12/x3, martial with a range inc. of 100' and standard action to reload.

A blunderbuss is a shorter musket (essentially another kind of shotgun) with a quicker reload time (move action) due to its flared muzzle. 2d8/x3, martial with a range of 75'.

A pistol is concealable with Slight of Hand, but significantly less powerful due to its short barrel. 1d10/x3, simple (for roguey types, even though they are harder to use than longarms) with a range of 50'. Standard Action to reload.

A rifle is more accurate and has a longer range and better critical, but sacrifices reload speed because the rifling grooves make it more difficult to push the patched ball down the barrel. 2d12/x4 Martial or Exotic with a full-round reload, range of 150'.

Everything except for the Blunderbuss can be made double-barreled for Rapid Shot action, and I allow Rapid Reload to affect everything down to a move action just like with crossbows.

I figure the higher damage of the weapons is tempered by reload time, and while reloading really does take much longer, the time given conserves game balance. I've run only a one-off with these rules included, but it seemed to work fine for me.
    Last edited by Achernar; 2011-01-08 at 02:12 PM.