Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
Hmm... I could see a charisma-based booster check. Would you say just double the regular fighting spirit bonuses?

That would be good. But I'd also add a risk to it. Miss by less than 5 and nothing happens. Miss by more and you lose the fighting spirit bonus (despair sets in). Now we just need to find how to determine the check, the duration and htimes per encounter it can be used.

Well, you've gotta keep in mind, most of these DCs are pretty low. Mid-level characters should be pulling these off no problem, even the harder ones.
I know. I just wanted a way to implement the fact that after using something for a while, the basics become second nature. Sure, the more complex stuff would still need a check, but I think thatif the player can eventually move without the need to make a check, it would convey the sense that his character is realy getting the hang of piloting this thing.

I could, however, see a feat in the future based on removing most of the piloting checks for a machine you're intimately familiar with. You'd still have to make piloting checks to bail or perform skills, but you could perform most things without issue.

Also, I like the idea for 'ace pilot'. I think I'll add that in. Since it's a little more situational than weapon focus, it would probably be stronger. A plus to vehicle dex, perhaps, and maybe a +2 to attacking with the construct's weapons. Hey, maybe the feat that removes the pilot checks is a precursor to this one.
That would be great!

Also, I was thinking about multi-pilot vehicles. But I'm not honestly sure how I would make it work. I don't want it to be just 'add extra pilots, get infinite actions'.

Here's a rough version of how I see it.

Spoiler
Show
A construct with the piloted subtype can acomodate 1 pilot's hollow sized for a creature of the same size, two sized 1 step smaller, 4 sized 2 steps smaller, etc.

When their is more than 1 pilot's hollow, each must have a designated function. They are "navigator" and "gunner". The navigator controls the movements of the construct and use his dexterity mod. The gunner controls 1 or more weapons. He uses his BAB to attack with them and his own dexterity mod if the weapon gains an bonus from it.

Multiple pilot can control the same thing. In this case, one is determined to be the "main" pilot and the others "helpers". The main pilot provides the stats for the construct. The helpers can make a piloting skill check (DC ??) to give a +2 bonus to the piloting skill or the stats (dex, BAB...) of the main pilot. If they miss by 5 or more however, they give a -2 penalty instead.

Each pilot must spend actions to give them to the construct. However if this gives more actions to the construct than a normal character would have (moving and making a full attack action for exemple) the pilots must make a piloting check to coordinate their efforts or suffer penalties.

It's still rough (and I would like a better name than gunner) but the basic idea is there.