1. - Top - End - #240
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Community Based Monster Classes VI

Quote Originally Posted by ChumpLump View Post
    Cloaker
    Spoiler
    Show

I like the idea of a Cloaker hiding on a fellow adventurer, nice touch with the half weight addition.
    Engulf is unclear as to weather it needs to succeed on a touch attack before attempting to grapple an opponent. Grapples require touch attacks.
    The ability to grapple, and attack other creatures without a penalty is very strong. While normally creatures with improved grab may grapple as if they were not at a -20 penalty, normal creatures cannot attack outside of the grapple at all. Consider allowing the attacks, but perhaps at a healthy penalty? Neither of its attacks are very powerful, and it can only do that when engulfing, which at first level means small creatures only. I don't see it as a major problem.
    Engulfing leap mentions flight, which the cloaker does not yet have, it may be good to specify that it must land after this flying bout. It has to end the flying bout with an engulf attempt, it can end up anywhere as long as that anywhere is another creature's head.
    It seems as if you are unsure when these abilities should be available without darkness. I am unsure whether they should be available without darkness. Removed that part.
    The language in the moans alternates between mentioning enemies and anyone. I doubt a sonic-mind effecting screech could differentiate between ally and enemy, but if it can, you may wish to be consistent with it. Good point.
    I suppose fear effects aren't terribly strong when everyone will be resisting or immune to them at this level, but still save or panicked is quite strong. It's only for two rounds and there will likely be at least one ally within 30 ft.
    Stupor mentions level rather than HD, which implies that it comes into play at Cloaker L.9, which their isn't. You may wish to change that to HD. Right.
    While some of the options are nice, it seems to me to be a very bare class, it could use some more fun abilities, maybe more fluffy ones that can play off the idea that it looks like a cloak, I mean, why not take advantage of the fact that a party member can wear it. I mean, think of all the awesome abilities a semi-magical living cloak that abhors nature could grant to your adventuring buddies!Consider it done
    In related news, I'd like to request Gorgondantess's thoughts on the cloaker.
    Razor Boar
    Spoiler
    Show

You may wish to detail trample's action and effects in its entry.
    Also, I think "1.5" would be better than "3/2" for the strength modifier as bonus damage. Okay
    3rd level this class is looking might barren, and mighty vanilla. So far it has trample, some natural attacks and a little DR, compare this to other Melee monsters of 3rd level, usually there is already some nice combat abilities. I've got an idea for a third level ability in the works, still needs more stuff though.
    Fourth level is all critical bumping...which isn't very fun for the play, nor very active. It's a fine side ability, but fourth level should offer an active attack or something. Maybe something like "Spear-hilt Charge" allowing the Boar an AoO against any creature that readies a weapon against it's charge. Okay, I'll work on something.
    At fifth level this guy hasn't got much going for him other than his size.
    Reflexive gore has some wording issues that seem to imply that the Boar can attack itself, which makes little sense. I mean, of course it can attack itself, but why have an ability that allows it to do so? What wording issues are these? I don't see them.
    This class is in serious need of some creative active options. Working on it
    Waiting for a critical to happen is a mugs game played by fighters and non-errata Talenta-scythe wielders. I'll keep that in mind.
    To answer a few of your questions IMO
    * Should I up the racial bonus to bull rush?: Meh. No real need to.
    * Is Sharp Tusks broken?: Not so much broken as boring.
    * Is Unstoppable to much?: No, it's both weaker and stronger than Deathless frenzy, so I see no real problem with it, and its one of the more active abilities this class has. Maybe it belongs higher on the table, at a higher level, but the table needs some more filling out.
    * Crazy Sharp: y/n?: If she must be critical focused, the ability to Critical Against those pesky Undead/Oozes/Constructs/Fortified Armor Wearing savvy Jerks is always a good idea. However it is also suffering from the fact that it is very passive.
    I think I've hit the active/passive nail enough times to mar the wood. It's a tough beastie to build, good luck with the revisions! Thanks.
    Last edited by Saidoro; 2011-01-30 at 02:56 PM.