1. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Re: Do you build geologically/geographically plausible landscapes?

This is how I do it basically.

First I consider the tectonic plates, which direction are they moving? The collision is where either mountains exist or where extreme depths exist.
    Then I make a few hills and planes and whatever, fill with water. Make up my mind of which way the winds will blow and where hurricanes will most likely exist.
    From there I can get where most rain will occur based on water and wind. I can now place water in high ground and make it flow to the ocean, and I got myself rivers.
    I place plant life wherever there's water, i.e rivers and rainy places. I also place animals accordingly.

Then I consider what kind of natural resources there are, minerals, rocks, trees, freshwater and animals. Villages, cities and the like will pop up wherever there are natural resources, or if it's a really good spot (for trade or some such).
    I divide the cities into countries and races, make them fight over natural resources (i.e territory), and sometimes other political reasons (like racism or religion).

BAM, I have an intricate and plausible world.
    Granted, anyone with a degree in geology or meteorology or whatever will be able to tell that it's complete humbug since I don't really know anything and just run on common sense.
    They'd probably be like "umm that doesn't make any sense, wouldn't the wind come from this direction and thus drying up the whole area and making it very inhospitable for people?" and I'd be like "your character has a stroke" and then we'd take a break and eat pizza.

I like pizza.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2011-02-11 at 06:18 PM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal