Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
Based on what you said, could it be possible to: 1) Set up a web of semi-likely attacks. 2) Monitor the enemy's divinations to see what they will learn what is the most likely one. 3) Launch a spite attack from the option ruled least likely?
Either would be an option, I think.

Another interesting route... what if two powerful diviners predict futures which intersect? That is, they both see futures that depend on each others actions. One sees the other acting, and changes plans accordingly. This makes the other change their plans, invalidating the first prediction, and so on. The Dune books make some use of this in that a seer becomes invisible to other seers because any other resolution would mean a time paradox.

I am not saying every D&D divination has results like this, but if the BBEG is a Schrödinger's wizard (choosing spells through abuse of Contact Other Plane, asking which particular spell selection would be most optimal and receiving the answer as an index number from the set of all possible spell preparation combinations), this ability might be negatable by just involving another wizard doing the same thing.

I would probably rule this as making the spell preparation of each becoming effectively random, even though both would still believe they had prepared the best spells they could. This could seriously weaken the power of the BBEG and would give the DM a funny battle with a hundred spells chosen randomly from all splatbooks...