Quote Originally Posted by shogahin View Post
Add Legacy's like the sorcerer has. I took the Fey Heritage and the Fiendish Heritage and changed them to Fey/Fiendish Legacy's. I removed the alignment restriction and granted them as class abilities at 1st level then 5th and then every 5 levels to a total of 5 at 20. I am just having trouble getting the right mix for the different alignments and abilities.
Well, I was working with that (yes, I have decided to retool the Warlock as well...), and I found a nice way to deal with that. Basically, you determine the type of creature with which you've made the pact (I've done it with aberrations, demons, devils, eladrin, fey and yugoloth; dragons are basically the realm of Dragonfire Adept), and you gain some benefits as levels go, as well as access to some invocations that cannot be accessed by certain pacts. That makes each pact unique, as even though it restricts the choice of powers and abilities to a specific set of alignments, it diversifies the options by quite a bit. Then, I locked that to most of the class abilities of the warlock (mostly DR, energy resistance and one or two more things, alongside invocations). That way, each pact gains its own distinctive flavor but the warlock gains its own variety.

So, for example: eladrin can only be chosen by warlocks up to one step away from Chaotic Good, so you can have CG, CN or NG eladrin-pact warlocks. They gain damage reduction against everything except evil weapons, resistance to electricity and one other between acid, cold or fire, and a bonus against spells with the [Evil] descriptor; similar run for the rest of the pacts, making each pact have its own qualities.

While the heritages are nice, you get far too little heritages (Fey, Fiendish, Dragon, and the Infernal and Celestial Sorcerer Heritages), so it doesn't cover the full brunt of abilities you could get, and it risks rewriting far too much stuff that's already written. You'd have to think of how many creatures might offer pacts and their specific qualities: the demon and devil entries are found easily, but Eladrin require reading Book of Exalted Deeds, yugoloth require reading Manual of the Planes or Fiend Folio, slaadi are intellectual property IIRC and are slightly harder to find. And so on.