View Single Post

Thread: Space Marine Class review needed!

1. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Space Marine Class review needed!

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    You should clarify the type of feedback you want to receive. It will help us give more focused advice.

Based on what's present:
    You need to specify the size of the hit die the Space Marine receives at each level.
    Sorry, I meant to put this down. It is going to be d10 for the class.
    You need to establish a list of class skills, and specify how many skill points are gained at each level.
    I meant to put this down also. It is either going to be 4+Int mod or 6+Int mod. This is because Marines are more skilled then humans, but not the most skilled to everything in particular. The list, will probably be a chunk more extensive then fighter, but less extensive then Bard or Rogue.
    Phase 8 - More detail is needed to define the scope and function of this ability. How much of the foe needs to be consumed? What if only a fragment of the body remains? How long is the consumption expected to take? What sorts of information can the Marine expect to learn? What can he NOT expect to learn?
    I am going to make this DM's preference because I am sure that unless other people look at this class and want to use it in their own campaign (which I don't totally care about) and I think that the players will just ask and I will tell them what they learn out of eating them.
    Phase 9 - How much longer can he go without breathing?
    I am going to go with twice as long, or a little longer.
    Phase 11 - What benefit does "honing in" on a sound provide?
    Still trying to get my source to load, will edit soon.The Marine, won't suffer penalties from offending sounds.
    Phase 12 - What happens in suspended animation? Does the Marine heal naturally, or at an accelerated rate, or at all? What if the Marine sustains further damage while in suspended animation? Does suspended animation provide any benefits other than not dying (for example, does it suspend the need to eat, drink, and/or breathe)?
    The Marine is asleep (basically hibernation but more extreme) and it seems as if the marine is dead because their pulse is slowed extensively, but in doing so, they heal slowly but the likelyhood is small that they die from wounds.(other then wounds that are inflicted upon the Marine after they are in this sleep) I am going to make it that they only need to breathe but they take breaths at like one every 20 minutes or so. In the Lexicanum it said that a Marine of the Dark Angels did this for over 550 years.
    Phase 14 - Can the Marine voluntarily lose consciousness? What type of action is required? How long must the Marine remain unconscious to purge the poison? Can he wake up on demand? If not, when does he awaken?
    I am going to go with they voluntarilly go unconscious but I will tell them that if they don't then they will be harmed severly by the poison, and the length will depend on the strength of the poison.
    Phase 15 - How much must be eaten? What type of action is required? What characteristics does a Marine discern when he "identifies" a thing he has eaten? How does tracking by taste work, exactly?
    I am going to go with it being like a snake for tracking and they can eat something and taste say copper, iron, cobalt, and nickel in it. (they will have had training in it so I will have just tell them...almost like cooking class except the teacher says "Here, this is [insert mineral or metal her] taste it!")
    Phase 16 - What level of protection is gained? Is it total immunity, or something less? Does the protection have a limited duration?
    I am going to go with pretty extensive protection and with their armor it will be total, except for the extreme cold that they will experience.
    Phase 17 - What kind of action is required to spit poison? What's the range? How much damage does it deal? What's the DC of the saving throw? How long does it take to eat through common types of material?
    It will probably be a free action because it doesn't take long for a snake to spit it's posion into your eyes or into you. The saving throw will probably be constitution based and depend on the Marine because of the difference in constitution of the Marines. For the time, I will look at the reactivity of the metals and go off that. It will take a shorter time to go through Magnesium then say Iron.
    Last edited by Craftworld; 2011-03-21 at 04:16 PM.