Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Initiate View Post
You may want to add "any non-dragon" to the prerequisites, mostly because it makes a lot of sense. I suppose a dragon of one color could pick up abilities of another color, but it's still not a "half-dragon." It doesn't matter that much, it just makes one wonder just how dragon can a dragon get?
Half-Red Bronze Dragon. I've done it before. Why not? It's fun.

-Except in extremely dull or simplistic monsters, 2 skill points per level never feels right. It doesn't even feel right on fighters, and it definitely never felt right on Duskblades, who this class appears to be modeled after (I'm playing a Duskblade in a RL campaign, the Int focus does NOT make up for the low skill points, contrary to popular belief).
Mainly for balance. Remember that these are innate abilities gained from heritage, not training, so 2+int skill points is justified. Also, most classes entering it will have 2+int skill points, so it keeps things nice and uncomplicated.

-Natural armor should stack with natural armor from other "sources" not just other "races."
Nnnnno... Just other races. I don't want it to stack with stuff that doesn't stack with racial armor bonuses.

-Breath Weapon Heritage: Energy resistance equal to HD of the same type as breath weapon. As it is they can just choose an energy type.
Ah. I have deleted 1 'o' from the ability's description. I meant to write "chose", not "choose".

-Breath weapon DCs are almost always con-based. Seems odd to make it cha-based, especially if they weren't a cha-based caster before they entered the PrC.
Ah, right. Will do. A holdover from my previous iteration.

First breath weapon admixture: Not good at all for what it costs. You throw some energy damage on top of your spell? I suppose that's neat if you cast a non-damaging BFC spell, but it's never going to be worth two uses of the same spell.
Or you could mix it with something like a metamagick'd wings of flurry and dish out some serious damage. In actuality, though, it's more meant to be used on lower level spells you wouldn't otherwise use: for example, for more conservative combat, using it with a colour spray. And remember, for higher level spells, you already have an extra spell slot per day.
Thing is, NORMALLY it's not going to be too powerful, but there are a few pretty potent combinations possible there. What blaster mage would mind tying a bit of extra damage to their nova?

Full-round action + 2 spells lost + provokes AoO + can be interrupted + you're not doing it again this encounter (That's what double cooldown does) = way too high a price AND a lot of unnecessary complexity.
Not really. It's casting a full-round action spell that costs 2 spell slots instead of one.

You can: Turn touch-ranged spells into area effects.
Intentional. Yes, it's an area, but it also allows a save to negate. Orb of fire isn't a higher level than fireball because it adds dazing.
Turn personal-range spells into area-effects.
THAT I will restrict. Good call.

Later on you can buff your entire party by breathing on them, which is AWESOME, but it should come LATER.
Not hard to get a rod of chain spell that does the same thing. And that's WBL as opposed to a caster level, which thou shalt not lose.

Right now, I'm not going to change anything there. Not that I necessarily don't think it should be changed- you certainly bring up some valid points, but I want to wait for a second or third opinion on this one.

P.S. I really like that you included an adaptation section. I may never have had a problem with sorcerer dragons, but other people did, and just because I never had a problem with it doesn't mean it's not nice to see something DIFFERENT. There's so much dragon material out there it's sickening, because it's ALL THE SAME. Scales, claws, bite, breath weapon, two immunities, frightful presence, over and over and over again. As I said in an earlier post, maybe I'm just dragon'd out, so anything NEW is a breath of fresh air.
Oh, you still get all that, just in a different package.
(Okay, granted, each one has a little more to it- like the breath channeling- though the mundane is pretty much just that, as I have nothing else to work with.)