View Single Post

Thread: 20 New Warlock Utility Invocations [3.5]

1. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: 20 New Warlock Utility Invocations [3.5]

Quote Originally Posted by Vladislav View Post
    This has the same Hit-and-run problem as Power Word:Pain, ie. snipe at someone from distance, flee, return to loot the body an hour later (assuming reasonable charisma, very few foes can make a, let's say, DC 23 Heal check, not even by taking 20).

You can argue whether this is efficient, broken, powerful, or balanced, but the point is, it's just not very interesting.
    I'll add in another means of stopping the bleeding, then.

If you want the kind of bonus that doesn't stack with armor, I suggest just call it an armor bonus. The wording of a "deflection bonus that ends if you gain an armor bonus" is very awkward.
    Except I don't want it to be an armor bonus. I want it to be a deflection bonus, because that defends against touch and ray spells and doesn't stack with a ring of protection. it's also supposed to represent not wearing armor so that people can check out your body better and thus have trouble hitting you.

The wording was lifted directly from a demon prince entry, so if it's awkward, it was written awkwardly by WOTC first.

Hezrou's Endurance and its ilk are too strong with the "additional +2 for every 7 levels" clause. If you remove this clause, they will be balanced and on par with existing invocations. Let's compare it to other invocations that are known to be good and useful:
    - Spiderwalk puts you under the effect of a 2nd level spell permanently
    - Baleful Utterance allows you to cast a 2nd level spell at will
    - See the Unseen puts you under the effect of a 2nd level spell permanently
    - Hezrou's Endurance (without the additional clause) puts you under the effect of a 2nd level spell permanently
    The problem with that is that they will never be selected in a game that begins above the level when such enhancement bonuses are easy to buy (i.e. 6th level or so). I created them because I wanted to make them appealing choices to warlocks that were being created at mid to high levels (which most of the Least invocations are not); lowering them to a fixed +4 eliminates the main reason I wrote them.

Also, all of those ones you mention have an additional effect beyond the second level spell they mimic. Spiderwalk makes you immune to webs, Baleful Utterance dazes and deafens a creature holding the object, and See the Unseen gives you darkvision. Making Hezrou's Endurance just a fixed bonus would actually make it worse than other Least invocations.
    Last edited by SPoD; 2011-03-23 at 11:40 AM.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.