1. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Non-Combat Encounters for Castlevania-Themed Game

With that endless ball thing, an interesting twist to add would be to add a will save to resist an urge to dance, and keep dancing until you make a saving roll when the dancer grabs your hands. Doesnt need to be a very high roll, just enough to make them realize there is a compulsion involved that keeps the weak willed dancing for eternity.

The library could be a good opportunity for a ghostly librarian to give the party the history and background knowledge of the castle and its inhabitants. Perhaps the book maze idea could be combined with a treasure hunt. "Oh? You wish to know of the Counts life? Then you need this book title. It is in the southern quadrant of the library."

Gothic horror? Not really my forte, but lets try this. The paintings are alive, (think hogwarts) and as you go deeper into his sanctum, the pictures start changing from portraits that merely watch you, to scenes of battle, to scenes of torturing monsters and their victims. The castle is a part of the count, so he can do things like, take over and animate a gargoyle statue to speak with you. Either to threaten, cajole, or just creep you out as that nice safe chamber you holed up in for a rest suddenly has him inside it as a talking image in the stained glass window. And much like the paintings, the castle itself grows darker, more evil in appearance, mirroring the count, and how he appears handsome, smooth, and in control on the surface, but deep inside he is an evil twisted beast that will drain and kill anyone who interferes with his plans.
    Last edited by Traab; 2011-05-06 at 08:46 AM.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."