View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] Feat: Elite Grenadier

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Default [3.5] Feat: Elite Grenadier

I've always enjoyed Splash Weapons but admit they tend to be somewhat weak due to a combination of price and poor damage scaling beyond low levels. This feat does not attempt to significantly correct that problem, but may make grenadier focused-builds more amusing to play at low to mid levels. I based Elite Grenadier off the Shaped Splash feat from Races of Eberron, in fact it serves somewhat as a revision. I loved the feat, although I had to wonder about the Halfling Only nature, particularly considering Eberron halflings don't seem to have much history with splash-based weapons. The end goal of this build is to improve the cost:benefit ratio for splash weapons and to provide non-spellcasters with something approaching an area attack. I think the feat, as written, is a little wordy. I could use some help there.

Elite Grenadier [Fighter Bonus Feat, General]
    Prerequisites: Dex 15, BAB +3, Grenadier
    Benefit: If you throw a splash weapon and it hits the creature you target, you can immediately make an additional attack against any creature adjacent to the first using the same attack bonus. If the second attack succeeds, the attack is treated as if it were a direct hit, including dealing splash damage to adjacent creatures.

As long as your attack roll succeeds, you may continue targeting new opponents, but the total number of opponents you can target with each attack (including the initial target) is equal to your Dexterity Modifier + 1. Each subsequent target must be adjacent to the target before it in the attack. If any attack roll misses, no more opponents may be targeted.

A creature can only be damaged one time by each splash weapon, regardless if its location would otherwise subject it to multiple occurrences of splash damage or splash and direct hit damage. Only take the highest damage that affects the square.

In addition, you can choose not to deal splash damage to specified creatures that occupy spaces adjacent to any targets.

If your initial attack fails, determine location and damage for the splash attack as normal (see Throw Splash Weapon, page 158 of the Player's Handbook).

Special: A fighter can select Elite Grenadier as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Normal Splash Weapon Attack (X=Direct Hit, S=Splash Damage)
    Code:
    |_|S|S|S|_|
    |_|_|_|_|_|
    Elite Grenadier Splash Weapon Attack w/15 Dex (X=Direct Hit, S=Splash Damage)
    Code:
    |_|S|S|S|_|
    |_|_|_|_|_|
    Last edited by Forged Fury; 2011-05-16 at 12:04 PM.