Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Doctor Who (again) [SPOILERS]

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    'Blink' (Season Three, Episode Ten)
    Same format as before.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sparrow is British, and her first inclination after getting home after experiencing something freaky and supernatural is to chat about it over a nice hot cuppa. How British.
    Well, naturally. Have to look at these things calmly and sensibly, in a relaxed setting.

So Sparrow's a deep person because she's made sad by lurking around tumbledown buildings. She said so herself.
    Well, not quite. She's deep because she likes being made sad by looking at old things.

This is still powerful even on second or third viewing, I think it's the blank, yet somehow yearning face that does it. That and, you know, being a statue that moves.
    Yeah, it's really neat with the contrast between their normal expressions, which are blank as you say, and another word I would use would be serene, and then the evil angry demonic faces that we see later on when they're attacking.

Hey. Peeps. Peeps. Did you notice that the Angels move when the camera is blocked by a character onscreen?
    I... don't think I did notice that.
    Well, there's another episode I have to rewatch... (Though, I was fairly tempted already, just because it's on the same disc as Human Nature/Family of Blood)

His name's Lawrence. Lawrence Nightinga - Florence. Punny.
    ..and somehow I never noticed that either.

Sparrow can't tell Larry what's happened to his sister just yet, so she says Cathy's gone out of town, oh, and "she loves you". Larry reacts with bemusement. To be honest, I would too. I love my siblings lots, but I don't go around telling them that so baldly on an every day basis. That's weird.
    John Green of the vlogbrothers made a video about this very subject.

Billy did get a Sally Shipton in the end, but not our Sally.
    A commonly made assumption is that the Sally Billy married was in fact Cathy's daughter.

Also, stone can't be killed. But sledgehammer?
    Yeah, never really been explained, that.

heh, he's right when he says things don't always happen in the right order. Just wait until Moffat gets to write again.
    Especially weddings, he's rubbish at weddings. Especially his own.

Best Special Effect:
    The Angels. Those are real actresses in there. Yeah. Those are people. Instant win.
    There was a brilliant Doctor Who Confidential moment at some point of the Angels doing the macarena. SO. WEIRD.

And one is left to wonder how the Doctor encountered the Angels in the first place given those four are frozen for whoever knows how long, and aren't likely to find the Doctor again.
    Well, obviously at some point he landed the TARDIS at Wester Drumlins, he and Martha wandered out and got Angeled. This being in the Angels' past, of course, since they're moving through time linearly, just as Sally Sparrow is. Wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey, etc.
    Last edited by Thufir; 2011-10-04 at 06:20 PM.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."