Quote Originally Posted by Kayne650 View Post
Spoiler
Show
Mayumi pauses while pouring the tea, unsure for a moment how to proceed. But then again, how could she expect the children to trust her if she couldn't trust them? She turned to Nakahiro, placing a cup of green tea on a small table near Nakahiro's chair.

"A fair question, I suppose." Mayumi sat at her desk and reached up to her neck, taking hold of the cross that hung from a necklace that Nakahiro may or may not have noticed before. "I am what is known as a Quincy, a member of a family that has, for centuries on end, acted as defenders of humanity against Hollows and other spirits that wish mankind harm. We are mortal ourselves, but command very specific powers that can match and defeat Hollows. I've been doing this for the last thirty years."

She took a sip of her tea, gathering her thoughts. Admitting to being a Quincy wasn't exactly forbidden, per se, but it wasn't something that was done frequently. "Now that I've answered your question, would you mind answering mine? After all, I am the teacher here." She said that with a small smirk on her face, though Nakahiro would also be able to hear the smile in her voice if he couldn't see it on her face.
Nakahiro tenses a bit in the silence that follows his question. He leans forward slightly in his chair, almost as if he's getting prepared to bolt out of the room. If his suspicions were correct, and Mayumi was the cause...well, he would probably be dead no matter what. That doesn't stop him, however. He relaxes again when Mayumi answers his question, sinking back against the chair in relief. He takes his cup of tea, with some hesitation and gentle feeling of the table, and takes a sip from it as Mayumi finishes. He sets it back down, and nods gravely. He shuts his eyes and begins speaking.

"I suppose I should. As you probably know, an abnormal number of students at this school either have connections to the spirit world, or have developed spiritual abilities. Today, the parents of Kaito, the younger sister of Izumi, and a third entity, shaped like a human, but not one...I think...were kidnapped by Hollows. I believe the Hollows were under a human's control; they behaved oddly, and bore small devices that could have been controlling them. We fought the Hollows off and rescued everyone, but we still don't know why this happened. Afterwards, we split up. I came straight here. That's the extent of my knowledge. Right now, I'm half-blind because I overloaded my powers during the fight."

He takes another sip of his tea.

"I have another question. By any chance, do Quincies manipulate spiritually charged particles in the air around them to use their powers?"