Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
Forced meme is forced, but not a meme. And anyway, Moffat isn't perfect, but he's miles and miles better than R. T. Davcheese.
Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
I believe you mean Russell T Davros- building on his capacity for overly grandiose plans that seem to come unstuck towards the end of the story...
Heh, these two amuse me even though I don't fully get them. I suppose I will after the season four finale though. There was a contentious resolution to that too wasn't there?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
There are people who really liked it? Let's Kill Moffat only got an AI of 85. That is not great as most stuff gets AI's in the 90's. If something is really bad it usually only gets an AI of 70-75.
Um. No.
Seriously, no.
The average Doctor Who episode since the revival tends to get 85 or higher. It currently has the highest AI for any drama on television.
An AI of 85 or higher is considered excellent. 90 or over is exceptional, and very seldom does any TV show aired on terrestrial channels ever get 90 or higher. As of 2009 the highest AI ever received on any channel received in Britain was 97 on SkyOne for a US import.
The BBC tends to get an average AI of 80.
60 or less is considered poor.
Please get your facts straight first.

Even then so bad it's good factor, die hard fans and the easily pleased who switch their brain off often up the score to above that.
Yes. Because fans of this show don't think about it, enjoy discussing it, or view it as anything other than something to fill forty-five minutes of your life.

Also, the AI is based on the first impressions of about three and a half thousand or so people. Viewing figures are a bit better though.
Reception for 'Let's Kill Hitler': an AI of 85, which is pretty much the show's average since it's revival, it was the second most watched show in its slot, number one the next day on iPlayer and the most requested show in the entirety of Augst. The actual critics writing for proper newspapers and review sites have for the most part, found the episode to be a good one.
Because people who are paid to write reviews are 'die hard fans', the 'easily pleased' and people who turn their brains off to watch this show.

Let's Kill Moffat ticks so many wrong boxes. Moffat is killing Doctor Who and alienating it from everyone. Alienating it from the kids because when the show is not a 12 rating, it disseminates mawkish "I'll always love you" stuff which only Walter the Softy would endure.
So you can only interest children if it's got a 12 rating or higher?
And romance is bad. Gotcha. Even though the romance isn't really front and centre in these episodes.
He has hit some wrong notes as a show runner, no doubt, but the ratings are consistently high, and there is a lot more reach and scope in Moffatt's run so far than there was with RTD. Moffatt is more adventurous than RTD, doesn't rely on epic scope and spectacle as much, and because the show under his hand has done a lot more things in a shorter time frame there are going to be poor episodes, average episodes and extremely good ones.
Trying new things is always difficult because you don't know what works until you air it.
But I digressed.
What you're saying is that children are only interested by bright flashing lights, action and gore. I find that highly offensive.
And as for romance? Ten words: RTD. Rose. Nine. Season Two. RTD. Martha. Ten. Season Three.
And it was all so obvious and in your face there. While we now have a married couple as Companions there's actual chemistry between them meaning that it tends to come to the fore more often, but it works. It's not mawkish.
Mawkish means 'sentimental in a feeble or sickly way', it means 'excessively and objectionably sentimental', 'sickening or insipid'. To me, that's what I'd call Rose/Ten and Martha/Ten. Amy/Rory isn't feeble or objectionable.
It's present more often because they're married. And married people are meant to love each other.
And children love a bit of romance. Example: most of the Disney animated canon. WALL-E, Star Wars had Han Solo and Leia. Star Trek had romance. Twilight is nothing but mawkish romance and it's most popular demongraphic (yes, that's intentional) is tweenage girls.
Children like romance.

Alienating it from the people who want a funny Sci-fi series because it keeps confusing everyone. Alienating it from the Easily pleased because it makes them think. Alienating it from the die hard's because of the schedule gaps. Alienating it from the Rusty Worshipers because Moffat has no sense of drama like Rusty does. Alienating it from the sensible people because of Moffat's wacky views. Alienating it from the so bad it's good because it's not bad enough that the press will hate it enough to call it bad.
And now I go: how.
Tell me how.
Doctor Who has never been 'just' a funny sci-fi show. Ever. It was started as an educational show.
This show is fifty years old. The reason this show is still going when even Star Trek and Star Wars pretty much exhausted themselves is because you never know what you're getting. Sometimes it's a murder mystery like what I'm getting next write up. Sometimes it'll be an ethical meditation on morals (because I know about that scene from 'Genesis of the Daleks'), sometimes it's nothing more than a silly romp through space.
That's the joy of the show: a TARDIS to go anywhere the writer wants, and a new main character who is the same character. Everything else changes. Everything.
You can't please people with a show that shifts genres so quickly and often no one can even tell what to classify the show as other than 'a family show', but there will be something to please everyone eventually.
I didn't like the show gap, but 2009 was a year of specials, that's a show gap. I don't know why it happened, but it didn't alienate me from the show.

The only people who Doctor Who will appeal to are the limited clique of people who Moffat talks about the ideas with and the general public on the rare occasion that a writer as good as Moffat was writes a good story. I say Moffat's wife (the producer of Doctor Who) is giving him far too much lee-way. I have an idea for a future episode. The Doctor goes back in time to 2005 to tell Moffat that he's going to ruin Doctor Who when he takes over in 2010.
No.
This again is crass generalisation verging on something infraction-worthy.
Now you know something, I'll tell you a story.
About a girl, called Curly, who was a very casual watcher of Doctor Who, she loved season one, even though she missed a few episodes. Then when season two started she kept meaning to watch it, but things got in the way. 'No biggie', she think most weeks, 'I don't really mind'.
The only episodes she ever made it a point to watch were those by Stephen Moffatt because he wrote that amazing gasmask two-parter.
But then season three came about and well, by then she'd miss about two-thirds of season two, and she basically stopped watching it, Moffatts aside.
And in 2010 she found out he was taking over the show. 'This is fantastic! I can't wait to watch them, I really want to catch every episode this time'. But she missed the beginning because of family things, and then uni came about, and she didn't know about BBCiPlayer back then, and well, season five slipped away from her for the most part.
So the sixth started and she knew about BBCiPlayer. So she watched every single episode. And then she found some online places to catch up the show, and because she wanted to know more about the show, to get into it and understand all the references she started watching the older seasons.
And then she started her write up things.
I've basically watched RTD and Moffatt's eras in parallel, and I vastly prefer Moffatt. And to be blunt, I am not the general public, I am a very picky person who tends to analyse as she goes, and while I've not seen a full season of Moffatt yet, I like the flavour of his seasons more. There's more variety. There's more risks. They don't all work, but they're finally taking advantage of the TARDIS.

Although of course, I do not mean to offend any forum members. I am sure there are exceptions who are not being alienated. Feel free to disagree.

In lighter news, I hope to get Sunken Valley on finales up soon. GMGTW will be counted as a finale.
I actually think those who are alienated are in the minority. There are things viewers don't like, we've had many discussions and arguments over the fact, but I can't really think of many people who've claimed to be alienated by Moffatt's general show running.
Moffatt has his faults, I agree with you. He is a very good writer, and his concept of River Song is very ambitious, and it could have failed so badly. But it hasn't yet, and I'm enjoying her puzzle piece past a lot right now.
But I tend to be on the side of Aotrs Commander because I like an interesting plot, and this season arc isn't just 'one race wants to take over the world/solar system/galaxy/universe', it's out for something else.
What, I don't know other than the Doctor's death.
This isn't a contorted plot. This plot is dripped out very slowly, and the answers aren't given to us in massive chunks. When we're told answers they tend to make us ask more questions (which is very good) and the answers we're told are small, but interesting.

He's experimenting with plots and how to present them. Got to admire the man for some variety. He still might fail, I think this season's finale will be his make-or-break deal as show runner. Overall I like RTD (Rose obsession aside), but I love Moffatt more right now. That can all change.