Quote Originally Posted by fizzybobnewt View Post
Ooh, sorry, I forgot you'd asked a question. It's a Dell MPS1530, dad says.
Well, that's good news. Say what you want about Dells, Playground, but IIRC they're some of the more moddable laptops around. At least, that's what the internet said when I looked to see what it would take to replace the graphics card on my Dell Inspiron laptop.

Since the M1530 is an XPS-series desktop replacement machine, it should be about as upgradeable.

However, I'd still heavily recommend getting an external drive. Some don't even require external power supplies, and unless you're running programs with loads and loads of loading you shouldn't see much of a performance drop (since most programs run mostly off of the RAM, IIRC). Compared to a laptop internal drive, you can get them in a much wider variety of places, probably cheaper, most likely with a much higher data capacity, and with far less hassle for the installation process.

The third upgrade I purchased for my laptop was a 500 GB external drive, and I haven't noticed many problems with it at all. Though if you're gunning for portability, it is one more thing to attach to your computer, so if you're just as likely to be using the trackpad and built-in speakers as you are even a cheap mouse or headset, I suppose in the long run the internal drive will be less of a bother.