1. - Top - End - #1268
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXIV: Now About 200% Longer Than Firefly

Hey Esper! Look what I found.

------

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    First off, I need to request for help.
    HELP
    I need some kind-hearted people to help with an issue I'm having with the piece of fiction I'm writing, Blue Moon in a Red Sky.
    Spoiler
    Show

First off, here's my initial request that I put on Ponychan:

Namely, what I need to know is plot cogency. By playing around with the description and tags, I've obfuscated the fact that BMiaRS is essentially an alternate history setting with ponies, and that ponykind has had a parallel history to mankind. (I.e. They both had industrial revolutions, the same empires, etc.) I want to make this as obvious as possible without being ham-fisted or stating it outright. So, with that in mind, could I get some help?

Replying with anything, ANYTHING AT ALL, is helpful. I really need some help with this last bit, and I can't thank you enough.
    Maybe start with something like: "Two thousand years after Alexander of Maredon stomped his hooves in despair knowing that there was nothing left to conquer, two hundred years after John Hancolt signed the Declaration of Independence, etc, etc..."

Quote Originally Posted by dromer View Post
    To be honest, there's a lot of societal and historical examples that show that this would be a logical first response.
    First off, there is large amounts of literature and movies and games based on dystopic sugar bowl environments, such as Fahrenheit 451. Second, our parent's always taught us the virtue of 'too good to be true'. On the historical side, quite a few 'perfect' and thriving societies had secret police or other such enforcers.

The main reason Equestria doesn't need to have secret police is because Celestia's a god. There's not much reason to oppose her when she can just smite you. Ironically, that makes part of the reason good Celestia's kingdom is so perfect is due in part to fear.
    I think it's mainly this. She gets a little too much reverence and undying love for some people to believe.
    Last edited by Kindablue; 2011-09-24 at 08:11 PM.
    ... I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams.