You'll have to forgive me :) I missed the part where your pet is at 65% exp to his Master. I believe that a level 7 companion would belong to a level 9 Ranger, 12 Druid in your homebrew :)? The Ranger's animal companion will cap at level 18, and the druid's at level 16. My original post was on the assumption that Master and Companion leveled together. And so I think DPR might be a bit more balanced at the lower levels with your Pet Class option :) Its a nerf, but its a good nerf all the same. So kudos :)

Something that I didn't think to previously mention, is the problem pet classes face at the higher CR tier (15+). By the time you get to CR 15+ monsters, straight physical damage begins to mean very little, as at this CR many monsters will have high DR (10-15) with requirements that your pet cannot meet, such as DR 15/Evil, DR 15/Magic, etc. That's damage reduction per strike. And so your pet will invariably become useless in melee combat, and is best used as a diversion, flank protector, etc. Which I beg you to consider my final comment: Pet Prestige Classes!

If anything, I've been inspired to hunt around for other PPC's on these boards, and possibly even create a few of my own. This is strictly to keep the pet relevant at the highest levels, so that Wildshape Druids aren't entirely Outclassed by Summoner Druids. Plus I like the flavor it can add. Just think! *Spectral Leopard of Such-and-So* PrC /twinkleeyed :P

--PC