1. - Top - End - #57
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Shield Master (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    Is it actually possible to go a whole extended campaign without deviating from WBL any? Cuz I've never seen it happen.

Anyways, Sunder works fine; this is why spells like Mending and Repair exist, is to fix broken objects. Unless Sunder is supposed to remove all magic from an item upon breaking? Easy fix there is to make a new spell that repairs the enchantment as well. Problem solved, and it only took one spell slot. I honestly don't see why Sunder is so disliked, other than the fact that it's an inconvenience. I mean, disarm is just as annoying; a Rogue can steal a Cleric's holy symbol just as easily as a trained Fighter can smash it.
    And what happens if you are in a group without a person who can cast mending or repair? Not every group has a caster, not every campaign has magic period.

Your solution is probably "Hire someone to cast it". That would require the entire group turning around and heading back to nearest city, interrupting whatever quest they were on, and the whole way back, the fighter or shield master is useless in combat. It's kind of like when Izumi lost her Human Spirit in Digimon Frontier for like ten episodes, only with much less chance for character development and all the annoyance of sitting on the sidelines playing cheerleader/damsel in distress.

And now you're probably thinking "Well okay, in that situation the DM certainly wouldn't bother Sundering". And I stop you there. If you can ever think of a situation where a mechanic would just ruin the entire game for everyone, especially one player in particular, you as a DM shouldn't employ that tactic.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-10-17 at 08:57 PM.