View Single Post

Thread: making a campaign V3.5, heavy homebrew

1. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: making a campaign V3.5, heavy homebrew

If you haven’t really started reinventing everything yet, then you’d be better off making the correct tweaks than rewriting the game.
    Take it from someone who knows. I probably wrote the most extensive D&D house rules codex ever and I’m telling you that achieving class balance by rewriting the game is incredibly difficult.

To save you a lot of time (and I do mean A LOT OF TIME!!!), I’d suggest the following changes to the core rules and they would do wonders for your game, regardless of the game supplements you’d use:

1. Use these rules for martial combat and actions.
    2. Casting Defensively: make the DC equal [15 + 2*SL + 1/2 highest BAB among creatures threatening you +2 per creature threatening you beyond the first].
    3. Don’t allow more than a single metamagic on a spell that’s being cast.
    4. Don’t allow Divine Metamagic.
    5. Don’t allow caster level enhancements to stack - ever.
    6. Reduce Medium range to 50ft + 10ft/CL and Long range to 100ft+20ft/CR.
    7. Change the casting time of all spells that force conditions on their victims to be 1 round.
    8. Increase the casting time of Planar Ally/Binding and Gate to several hours.
    9. Prismatic Wall/Sphere: Rule that the caster is not immune to the effects of his own wall/sphere and cannot pass through them.
    10. Ban all forms of Celerity.
    11. Apply the following rules to force effects:
    - Force effects have Hardness [10 + Spell-Level + primary ability-mod] and [5 HP per Spell-Level].
    - Force effects don’t get partially damaged – if they’re not breached, they endure as if nothing had happened.

If the above suggestions appeal to you, I'd also make suggestions regarding classes.
    Last edited by nonsi; 2011-11-04 at 05:33 AM.