ok, I've been working on the spell lists, and you are all right, it is a LOT of work, even for just that. I expected that, but it turns out I'm not as dedicated as I would like to be.

so, I'm leaving the casting classes alone for now, and will instead focus on buffing the fighter, rogue, monk, and barbarian. I'm still using the stress system for the casters, though. hopefully that's enough of a patch to bring them down a tier or two. bards might actually move up a tier, since their slower spell progression matches up to the DC progression much better than the full casters.

as for bards and sorcerers, they know whatever spells go in their spell slots, and temporary ability modifiers (such as enhancement bonuses from spells [i]and[/] items, ability damage, and the like) don't apply to spell slots. unlike other casters, they can't change their spells daily, but can now change one spell every time they level up.

quick fix for fighter:

gain regular bonus feats every even numbered level. gain specific bonus feats on every odd numbered level.

lv. 1. weapon focus +2 to attack, instead of 1
lv. 3. armor focus +1 to max dex, -1 armor check penalty
lv. 5. weapon specialization +3 damage, instead of 2. +4 for 2 handed weapons
lv. 7. armor specialization +2 ac
lv. 9 G. weapon focus
lv. 11 G armor focus
lv. 13 G weapon specialization
lv. 15 G. armor spec.
lv. 17 weapon mastery (focus and spec. combined)
lv. 19 armor mastery (same as weapon)

so, when using his favored weapon and armor, a fighter gains +6 to attack, +9 (or 12) to damage, + 6 to ac, and +3 to max dex. even in full plate, a fighter can utilize a full 18 dex. that's all before he uses any of his other feats.

monk and rogue get full BAB, and rogue gets d8 HD. rogue gets another special ability off the list at lv. 20, to clear that idiotic dead level.

I'll get to the Barbar later, since i want to rework him more extensively.

so, will this combine with the stress system balance the classes any?