While coming up with crackpot theories about what will happen next, I thought of Nale's bounty. It seems that Tarquin, who was certainly involved in issuing the bounty, considers the death of Nale an acceptable option (albeit far less lucrative to a bounty hunter). Also, Nale's bounty was flagged to go right upstairs for fiery consumption, an event that Tarquin, even if notified, might be too late to intervene in.

Therefore, I would not be especially surprised if Tarquin allowed Malack to immolate Nale, or even aided in the process. Yes, Nale is Tarquin's son. But he also threatens the security of the Empire (in his own incompetent way), has defied Tarquin's will rather strenuously, and is an embarrassment. As much as we've grown to love Tarquin, this man is still a monster. He has run over many people to get where he is, I'm not expecting him to stop, especially now, considering that he has another option regarding his future. He doesn't need Nale to succeed him if Elan overthrows him in a far more memorable and legendary fashion, which he seemed fairly comfortable with.