Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
This sounds like the concept behind Mutants and Masterminds.

This sounds more like D&D 4th edition, though.

I'll agree with what others have said: that having a design concept for the system would give you a better idea of what you want to focus on and what you don't. Right now I'm only seeing a generic Gurpsy-D&D classes idea and not much else. How were you seeing a game of this system playing out as?

I'm not quite sure how the class-archtypes will work. Do you mean everyone starts out as a 1st level fighter/1st level rogue/etc and then picks up abilities (e.g. feats) relating to how they want their character to progress? Or do you mean the archtype is a starting point, and then add abilities to create a 1st level character from there?
The categories would be a base idea; somewhere to build from. You choose a certain Category to build from. Less like 'taking a level in fighter' more like 'I want to make a meleeist who can X, but he's a meleeist so I'll go with this Category'. They won't have a mechanical effect, beyond helping beginner players figure out what they want to do with their character; or shouldn't, at least, depends on how the system works out. We might not use them. All depends.