1. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Disciple (3.5, Healer fix-ish, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Chronologist View Post
    First, I love the idea of a class, dedicated healing is something that doesn't really work in 3.5, and every new base class designed to fix it is good in my good.

Now, onto the P.E.A.C.H.ing

Power Word: Shield is a very strong effect, right from level 1. The first issue is that it uses a 1/2 attribute modifier, which is not usually done in 3.5; at its level of power, it should be written as 5 x wis modifier x level.

Second, granting that many (essentially temporary hit points) is pretty ridiculous, especially as a swift action. Consider a Paladin's lay on hands class feature. Each day, they can heal 2 x charisma modifier x level hit points. This ability is 2x5 times as effective, can be used on multiple allies, at range, it has no limit of uses per day, and can be invoked as a swift action. Fixing the class feature is going to require a lot of work.

I would make the shield grant 3 + Wis modifier temporary hit points as a standard action to an ally within 60 feet. The temporary hit points last 3 rounds. The temporary hit points do not stack with each other, but overlap, causing them to be reset to the highest value. I would restrict the ability so that it either has uses per day (maybe once per day per class level), or ensure the ability has a 5-round recharge.
    Thanks for the comparison - I'm actually going to go with 2 + Wis x level, where at level 20 that's something like 240 HP on average (assuming 30+ Wis). It absorbs a lot, but remember that they can't receive a new Shield until 1d4+1 rounds after their current one ends, so it's a minimum of 3 rounds from the turn they get it before they can get a new one.

The spell list is pretty restricted, but I understand the need to keep them roughly as healers. I would allow them to sacrifice 2 of their 3 optional domains to select a domain of their choice from their deity (for example, only gaining Healing and Protection, and exchanging the other two for Madness). It would be decent as a feat option at 1st level, or simply an option inherent to the class.
    I could see this as an ACF, the only problem I have with it is some domains are much stronger than others, and trading out, say, Good and Law for Celerity might be a problem.

Smite is an interesting choice of class feature, letting them do about as much damage as a Warlock. I'm not sure the class needs it, with all the class features that boost your ability to heal and protect your allies, plus your massive number of spells prepared, perhaps an ability that allows you to deal damage to enemies who strike you in combat would be better. Any competent enemy will ALWAYS Kill The Medic first. Perhaps 1d6 retributive damage at 2nd level, plus 1d6 at level 6, 10, 14, and 18 for a total of 5d6. It would activate whenever you are stuck with a melee weapon, give no save, and be untyped damage.
    Smite, Holy Fire and Atonement all exist basically to give the Disciple more to do than heal, or so they can heal while they help vanquish a foe. I really want all three to exist in a careful harmony, where spamming Smite and using Holy Fire every 5 rounds doesn't become more throughput-efficient than using healing spells, otherwise there'd be no point to having spells at all.

A spell-less healer...hmm. Hmm.

The rest of the abilities seem fine, so long as activating Power Word: Shield is a standard action, otherwise they get out of hand very quickly. Borrowed Time in particular is pretty ridiculous, getting quickened spells for free every round will get out of hand very quickly. Power Word: Barrier is nice, but only protects against physical damage. Perhaps a better version would instead target all allies within 60 feet, last 3 rounds, have a 5 round recharge, and instead reduce all damage they take from any source by 20.
    The main reason I made Power Word: Shield a Swift action is because a quickened spell is also a swift action, so you can't use both in the same turn without shenanigans to get extra swift actions. There'll also be a qualifier that you can't build up uses of Borrowed Time added in now, so you have to use one Borrowed Time before you can get any more.

For Power Word: Barrier, I can't believe I left the recharge off. It was originally planned to be once per encounter.

The capstone is both awesome and underwhelming, when you're burning spells of that level you expect something very powerful, and while it's powerful, it's not something that makes the class any more durable.
    It's more to save allies who are taking a very large amount of damage per turn (such as someone immersed in lava while a dragon grapples them or something).

It's a good class in my opinion, and something that I'd actually want to take all 20 levels of.
    Thanks! I actually aim for most of my base class homebrew (see signature link for more of them, but don't pay attention to the past projects ) to be "I wanna be level 20 in this class!". I'm looking forward to making it better and more balanced. A lot of these abilities I haven't tested yet, only did some crude comparisons.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-01-24 at 10:55 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star