1. - Top - End - #623
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Relationship Woes and Advice 21: Time To Go Bar-Hopping

Thanks for the advice - I didn't mention it because I didn't want to seem like I crave sympathy, but I've been to a psychologist (who diagnosed me with a depression), but later (after the break-up) I went to a psychiatrist, who cleared up that I didn't actually suffer from a depression, but rather a depressive reaction. She also took me off medication.

I didn't get into the details, but the fundamental difference is that depressions are chronic, and depressive reactions are not - in turn, though, depressive reactions are somewhat less predictable in their chronology.

The problem is that psychologists and psychiatrists analyze and diagnose, and when they step in to help, they may only do so with medication. And even if it were not the case, I can afford neither those nor a therapist. But don't worry about the Playground being equipped to handle this - the worst that can happen is that we are not together, so, well. Whatever happens, it's status quo or upwards. Put another way (and sorry if it sounds overly dramatic), I have nothing to lose.

EDIT: **** me, I sound like a delusional ****. I have to admit you're right about the "you probably don't want to hear this"-thing when I ignore the implication that it's not meant to be. I think I'm very afraid that if I go on, I may have wasted the chance I had to make things different.

And anyways, it's not that I haven't tried moving on, taking some time to myself and so on, but the conditions for doing so are completely beyond my control. I live in a place where my generation's activities amount to little more than drinking and smoking, I have no way to meet new people because there are never social occassions that are organized beyond groups of already close-knit friends (beyond bar-hopping - not really an activity that I enjoy or would use to meet new friends). I don't want to force myself to fall in love with someone else to get over her, and at some level I probably don't want to get over her, because I really like her. As in, I'm not just in love but I think she is a really interesting and nice person - at least that's the impression I got through half a year of being lovers.
    Last edited by ufo; 2012-02-12 at 05:24 PM.