1. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Alternative Loot, Monster Parts, And Other Assorted Adventuring Delights

I've had a very similar train of thought. Even after ten years or so of 3.x, as a group, we've never really got away from looting bits of dragons/demons etc, despite them having no use...

So, on my most recent campaign-world, I started to do something about it. Basically, instead of XP and GP, crafting magic items requires the full base price, half of which must be made up of appropriate regagents - e.g. gemstones or appropriate creature bits. (In this setting, however, magical items are considered trade goods, however, as are the reagents themselves.)

I assigned the value of (roughly) 35gp per HD of an appropriate creature (though we haven't really heavily used this system yet), as an arbitary starting value. (Level does count, as the heart of a necromancer or something is a better reagent if he was a better wizard.)

(And assigned a list of appropriate gems and bits for various schools etc.)

It should also be noted in passing, for completeness that this world is designed to drop off a lot of the basic magical gear - i.e. +x stuff, and instead gives everyone (and everything) a flat level-based progression of pluses; i.e. at 2nd level, everyone treats their weapons and armour as +1 enchancement (though this is no longer a magical bonus, and actual magic bonuses are reclassified as untyped. Though this doesn't necessarily have a bearing on the above.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-02-17 at 10:02 AM.