View Single Post

Thread: The Index of the Giant's Comments

1. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Index of the Giant's Comments

On what the comic is about, and some comments on rules accuracy.

Spoiler
    Show
    J - OK I think David wants to ask you a couple of questions, I've been crowding the mic so I'll let him ask a couple of things
    D - So, you mentioned nobody asks you what your comic is about... what is your comic about?
    R - My comic is a comedy adventure fantasy comic, it's about a group of adventurers, heroes or warriors, whatever you want to call them, called the Order of the Stick, as they go about their adventures with minimal competence or knowledge of what they are doing, and eventually sort of stumble into a plan by an undead sorcerer to conquer the world, essentially, and they're out to stop him and conquer their personal problems at the same time. Hopefully not in that order, so they get their personal problems taken care of before the final battle. And it's a comedy. Specially in the early parts it has a lot of roleplaying games... the whole thing is sort of within the framework of Dungeons and Dragons, the early strips made many explicit references to this, specially for jokes, the later strips just use it as the framework of the world, in terms of deciding what kinds of spells can a sorcerer cast, what kinds of spells can a cleric cast, etc. etc., I don't really worry about "oh, this character doesn't have enough hit bonus to... you know, let me roll the dice", if the story needs him to hit, he hits, if the story needs him to miss, he misses. There's a certain segment of my fans who think that's grossly unfair. Not that they necessarily believe I should roll the dice, but they believe that the percentages should be accurately represented, so that if somebody swings their sword at someone 20 times, they should hit a number of times equal to their, you know, relative attack bonus blah blah blah. That doesn't happen, that's not something I worry about. But yeah, it's essentially a fantasy adventure quest story, of a warrior out to avenge his father against a sorcerer, and the sorcerer happens to be trying to conquer the world at the same time. That's a nutshell. And it's stick figures, that needs to be said. If you're picturing that in the most elaborate fantasy artwork, that's not what we're talking about. They're basically really simplistic colorful block characters going about this.
    Last edited by Xapi; 2012-02-25 at 07:26 AM.
    Nothing to see here, move along.