Yaay, Bobcat's dropped by! Huzzah! (Shame it had to be on a less-than-stellar episode, but that's about typical, isn't it...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
Spoiler
Show
To whoever said the town of Ponyville were out of character:

That's wrong. Ponyville has always, always, always been populated with self-centred egotistical jerkwads. That's one of my favourite aspects of the show, actually, how the majority of background and minor characters are jerks - something you entirely don't expect from ponies as a concept.

It's making the point that friendship is magic and you shouldn't rely on or get upset by a world full of petty jerks. I love it for that reason, and love it every time a background pony acts like a wad.
Spoiler
Show
See, I don't like that "ponies-are-jerks" aspect normally (there's a difference between "jerk" and "highly-strung"), and that episode was worse than normal in that regard. I, for one thing, would like to believe ponies are BETTER than humans, not just as big a jerks. Worse even, because I really wouldn't expect that sort of asshat behavior from humans. It just riled me. And, actually, come to that, I kinda find the whole "virtually everypony apart from the major characters if a jerk" to be rather insulting. As I say, I think there's perhaps a strong element of English cultural undertones in my position, though.

I just realised something. That episode is EVEN WORSE when taken in the context of it's original intended audience. Do they really want to show young that's it's okay for young girls to be using flirtation as a means to get stuff...? Now, I'm over-reacting, I suspect, but at the end of the day, bitsof that episode made me uncomfortable, and I don't expect that out of pony, especially when using three of my favourite characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
Spoiler
Show
We're just mad because we're all used to cherries and other necessary consumer goods being subject to some fair and fixed price. Take another context, like a contract for personal service or a large-scale deal and you'll see people negotiating unique deals all the time. Sure, the cherry dealer isn't charitable, but I don't want to cast him as the bad guy just because 99% of us (myself included) would cut Fluttershy a deal because she's so weak and innocent and deserving.
Spoiler
Show
No, I'm mad because he specifcally was going out to screw his customer for no-other reason than he could, and my reaction would remain the same for pretty much whoever he'd done it to, with the only possible exception of Discord... I am quite happy to cast him as a bad guy.

Right, I think I've dwelled on that topic long enough; time to put it behind me and concentrate on what's more important, like my ongoing planning as to find out exactly what individuals thought screwing over Jubilee continouously was a good idea, and my developing of a suitably unimaginably horrific revenge to be inflicted upon them...