Quote Originally Posted by Themrys View Post
If the assumption that the Draketooths are evil aligned(due to them stealing children and money from their spouses) is correct, then maybe they cannot be resurrected because they're in hell?

I don't know how the afterlife in D&D works, exactly, but if evil aligned people go to some afterlife where they don't want to be, it would be pointless if they could leave anytime they want, would it?

The black dragon seemed to be happy in afterlife, though...is there no hell in D&D? On the other hand, V seems to fear s/he'll get there...

Nothing prevents you from rezzing an evil character in this world; it just happens less often. For instance, if Xykon had the right scrolls/allies, he could raise a deceased Redcloak.

Regarding the hells and V, I think that people who start out/are willingly evil (the true villains) aren't punished quite the same as those who want to be good/don't especially enjoy evil, but commit enough evil acts that they're damned anyway. Actually, I expect really evil mortals might have enough power and value to the devils/demons to be instated as commanders/soldiers in diabolic or demonic armies, or be given other positions that they'd enjoy holding - perhaps they're even reborn as fiends themselves. A not-really-evil person like Vaarsuvius might face eternal torture/slavery/having hir power siphoned by the truly evil crowd. Also, people who are really evil but not really powerful would become slaves or cannon fodder.

On the other hand, since even Xykon is willing to do anything to avoid damnation, my assumption is probably wrong... Although maybe that's just because even he would be relatively low on the food chain in the Abyss.

One thing we can see is that evil goblins who serve the Dark One get an afterlife that's perfectly enjoyable to them; I'd assume that the ABD was sent to Tiamat's realm, which would be perfectly fine to her. Perhaps a reasonable conclusion is that members of Usually (Chaotic) Evil races - those expected to be Evil, and with Evil patron deities - go to an afterlife managed by those Evil deities, which is perfectly fine for the Evil members of the race. Evil members of Usually Neutral/Good races that have Neutral/Good deities, on the other hand, are sent to the hells to be tortured.