View Single Post

Thread: Climbing Mount Olympus (IC)

1. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Climbing Mount Olympus (IC)

Berenike looks down, and mentally says a prayer to Athena for insight and the words. She then looks around and calls out amidst the chaos, her voice a little louder than one would expect, but without her straining any moreso.

"The Master of Nine has given us the best answer thus far, and I shall stand behind it. In doing so, Damien, I stand with you.

"True, we must be proactive - and I applaud his wisdom. I offer to aid the esteemed Augur of the Veil to look into magics that may shed light on this problem ... but I understand that if there is issue from the gods, perhaps such information is suspect, yet I will look into it. Then, we shall head north to Mons Olympus and demand answer there. We may be struck down, or we may strike a deal ... but better that the two of us, and others who will travel with us, make this sacrifice than thousands and thousands of men and women.

"Master of Nine, please accept me on your quest. Your blade is second only to your wisdom.

"Alcaeus, my old friend, they say that while Mount Olympus touches the earth and its peak sometimes seen, yet only the greatest travellers can actually see the way to travel. I know no finer traveller and scout. Will you join me on this quest, one in which far more lives than our own are at stake?

"Cheiros, you know the mind of one of the most notorious aggressor-gods in the last few years. You helped me regain the heart of my kingdom, and any debt of honor one might level against you has been paid. I could not accept your offer in rebuilding Naxos as you had given, but now there is a quest in which your tie with Hades, your knowldge, and your raw power will be most needed. Will you travel with us?

"Mopsus, you are an enigma. I never did get to meet or thank you for your actions at the end of the battle in driving Dumisani's mercenaries into the sea. Legends speak of your amazing sight, a gift that any Athenian should admire. Too, your handling of the strange spirits make your tongue the firmest in matters of delicacy. Will you aid us in this journey?

"Angela, though we have never met, Alcaeus oft has told me of his regard for your bow. I do not know which is most embellished (if at all), your legend, or his esteem of your skill. I understand that your agility in flight is unmatched. We could use an aerial sniper and battlefield overhead, as our style (mine and Alcaeus' together) tends to include mobility which exceeds good overhead direction. He may need your aid in survival matters as well. If it please you and your Queen, will you be willing to set your wings in the same direction as our intended horizon?"

She then looks at Helecionus. "You are mighty, sea warrior, but if Poseidon is intent on raping the lands about the coast, your people need you now, and need you here. Instead of throwing your son into a sea that will likely not accept the sacrifice but taunt you, I ask that you give your son a fighting chance. Let Nassus come with us. It may well be that our journeys may require his aquatic experience and know-how, he will have no better teachers in all manner of survival and arms, and he may bring your family and your people great honor instead of grief. If a spear must be thrust into a god's belly, then at the end of the day let it be Nassus' harpoon."

Berenike attends her peers. "This is our plan, and we ask you to consider chance and time for us to succeed. Strike firmly and without hesitation at what evil plagues you, make sure that you protect those that need protection, and begin mobilizing and outfitting your soldiers as you must.

"But I entreat you all .... do not begin full scale warfare on the holy sites of the gods without allowing us a chance to succeed in our task."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Discharge moment of prescience into Diplomacy: (1d20+65)[69]

EDIT: Wow. While the result itself, regardless of die roll, is stunning, yet it seems like a '4' on a die roll for so crucial a request as this is ...... anticlimactic. Hopefully, it's still enough.

DrK, as far as detect thoughts is concerned ... Berenike will mentally catalog who seemed to be "blank-wall" style protected, who seemed to be readable, who seemed to resist, and who seemed to resist AND had the arcane knowledge to know what was happening to them.

Obviously, I don't need to know anything specific about those read - else you would've told me - but I will mentally store away anything which might be useful in the future.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2012-03-25 at 08:24 PM.
    09JUN2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Inner Sea NPC Codex (2013, Compton, Crenshaw, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    kvard51: 06-17 JUN 2024.