Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
When my characters finally got sick of his whiny, glory-hogging, big-breasted, soft-fleshed, purple-eyed, incorruptible sexy "warforged" character and decided to attack, his response was "Okay. They kill me. What do they decide to do after I'm dead?"

I was kinda looking forward to the big epic battle (his character was several levels above mine), but I didn't force it. What was the alternative? "No. The story will not continue until we roll out the battle and your character dies fair and square?" This just screamed at me, both then and now, as being a horrid DM-ing tactic, equivalent to making your players read a 400-page, wooden campaign background story and then quizzing them on it to make sure they paid attention to the small details.
Exactly backward. This situation is a horrid PC-tactic, equivalent to making your DM learn all the 400 pages of rules and then refusing to play. He's not "more interested in roleplay"; he's only interested in talk. That's not the same thing. For one thing, roleplay continues in combat, and he's refusing to do that part of the roleplay.

This action was 100% refusal to play the game unless every detail works his way. There's no D&D going on here.

Also, I think you're on the wrong forum. This issue is not about D&D. It's about what and how you share with him. I wouldn't bring it up at a session; I'd bring it up at another time, about whether you can ever play the parts of D&D you enjoy. If not, find something else to do. D&D isn't important. Communication in a relationship is.