1. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Shrine Warrior, The Other Divine Agent (PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Vilpich View Post
    Before I get down into the crunch of it, I'd like to say two things. First, the reason you haven't had much feedback on this is likely because it's quite simple and extremely well done. There's not that much to say. Second, your spell table is messed up...and it's very distracting
    Thank you very much for the input, Vilpich! Glad you like it

On the spell table, do you mean the right side of the main table? It should look like this:

Spoiler
    Show

That's the problem with making the table like that. When it works, it looks pretty, when it doesn't, it looks really messed up I'm looking at this from a resolution of 1366x768, maybe it has something to do with that?

Now, I like this a lot and might use it for a campaign villain. Pretty much everything is done well and it's still cool while being simple. It might be justified to either give him two domains or, and this is more likely, give him a bonus spell for domains. However, that brings him farther from being a gish and closer to being a spellcaster, which is a trap a lot of classes like this can fall into.
    I'm a little afraid to give him two domains and make him too strong... But giving him a bonus spell slot for his sole domain might be a good idea! He gets one extra spell slot for level just for his domain and can still prepare his domain spell in the other slots if he wants. How does that sound?

Anyways, if you do use it for a villain, let me know how it turns out!

Other suggestions would be to make the skill points 4 which won't unbalance anything but will keep me from going over every skill description with a magnifying glass and highlighter in the PHB, and maybe giving it a d10 HD.
    Hey, I guess giving him 4 skill points won't hurt at all, great idea! I'm a little wary of bumping his HD, though, he can still be very effective at battle with all his spells and other nice things, and he's not too MAD, so you can pump Con with little trouble.

Regarding the minion, I like it a lot, but to me it doesn't feel very different from an animal companion/familiar. I'd say either allow the player to give it the fiendish or celestial template (which definitely won't make it too strong. Promise) or give it some SLAs.
    Gaaah, I really must move my butt and get to working at an expanded minion table. I totally intended it to be able to apply templates and select other things as minions. For example, at first level you could apply both the fiendish and celestial template for free on any of the sample minions, since it doesn't increase CR. You could even have skeletal minions, since they have very low CR too! If your character is some kind of vermin lover, you could get a Giant Fire Beetle, a Small Monstrous Centipede, a Small Monstrous Scorpion or a Small Monstrous Spider. And that's only at first level! At 2nd level, you could have Small elementals, at 3rd, both a Lemure and a Dretch. At 5th level, for example, you could get a Heavy Warhorse, just like a Paladin -- it would just advance later as per the table "Minion's Special Abilities". I modeled it somewhat after both the familiar, the animal companion and the paladin's mount. The difference would mainly rest in the variety, not in the mechanics... Anyways, I will try to put an "advanced minions" table together to explain the concept

In the domain section you might want to specify that the shrine warrior also gets the domain's granted power (I assume you want him to).
    D'oh, of course! Thank you for pointing that out
    Last edited by Larkas; 2012-05-05 at 11:10 PM.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.