Quote Originally Posted by Yitzi View Post
Yes, that is definitely a good reason to keep it...here's an idea: The benefactor doesn't have enough sway to actually get them out of prison, but he can help them escape by bribing a few key guards...of course, this means that they not only have to watch out for enemies due to what they do for the benefactor, but also the police who want to toss them back in prison. (If there's a paladin, there'd better be some reason that it's ok to associate with them. I'd advise saying that they're in prison on trumped-up charges by a corrupt nobleman; you can then either make that nobleman be the benefactor (who set up the situation specifically to get their assistance; make sure you know how he'll react to all the likely reactions when they find out), or the corrupt nobleman is associated with (or even the same as) the enemy, leading to a more personal and satisfying conclusion when they finally beat him.)
I was already leaning towards trumped-up charged -- forgot to mention that! I'll be able to nail down who issued the charges after this weekend once everyone has a vague understanding about their backstory.

I'd say that for guards you probably want mainly warriors, with race proportional to the general area. Include a few elite guards with PC class levels as semi-bosses or bosses.
Excellent. How do I figure out how many units to use? I don't want to get everything right and then Zerg-rush them by accident.