View Single Post

Thread: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

1. - Top - End - #573
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    This is by request. And only for previews. I'm well aware of the problem and also the fact that some art needs to be moved around on the card a bit (borders on Komachi, hideous Devour reminder text on Flandre, I'm looking at you). The final version will be available in both full art and translucent frame (see: Eldrazi) varieties for cards with art. And it will still stand out, I reckon, simply because many cards don't even have art at all.
    Could you post the normal-art (or plaintext) versions as well, then, for easier readability?

Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    Thanks. Avatar seemed like the only good fit, really. As for Youkai... I understand the concern, and I wasn't entirely comfortable myself. I can't use Spirit because that's for ghosts, and a tribe in itself. Elemental seems a mite too western and also inappropriate in some cases (say, Satori). Also, there are some limited Youkai-hosers in the human cards and such. Maybe some things that benefit them eventually too, aside from being excluded from Eternal Night. If nothing else, it's probably harmless.
    Yeah, like I said, it's a minor issue. There's a few more specific subtypes for specifically undead spirits, such as Wraith, Specter, Shade, and so on, but all of those follow certain mechanical and thematic conventions that rule them out. Kamigawa used Spirit both for the Youkai-equivalent Kami and 'ghosts', though, as can be seen in cards like Promise of Bunrei (though 'ghosts' appeared to be basically treated as the Kami of your soul or something). Ghost also tends to be treated as a subtype of Youkai in Touhou lore, though it's not exactly consistent.
    There's also the Incarnation type, I guess, but eeeeh...

The one person who seriously told me to make a Miko type just for Sanae/Reimu, on the other hand... which reminds me, I'm a bit surprised that no one minds Reimu's type being Shaman.
    I was mildly surprised that you didn't go for the more obvious Cleric type, but Shaman is the more accurate choice.
    Last edited by Jm2c; 2012-05-25 at 02:27 AM.