View Single Post

Thread: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

1. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Touhou II: Story of an Eastern Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Associate View Post
    Could you post the normal-art (or plaintext) versions as well, then, for easier readability?
    If I find the time in the next day or two, yeah. I'm mucking about with frames a lot right now, and have some other stuff to do, all of which is besides friday generally being hectic.

I will say this, though. I can afford to make the clear frames very clear in most cases, simply because it changes white text to black. This makes it so much easier to read. That said, yeah, it'll be up once time allows. I may take a break from writing flavour text tomorrow to do that. Would you prefer plaintext, or clear frames?

Yeah, like I said, it's a minor issue. There's a few more specific subtypes for specifically undead spirits, such as Wraith, Specter, Shade, and so on, but all of those follow certain mechanical and thematic conventions that rule them out. Kamigawa used Spirit both for the Youkai-equivalent Kami and 'ghosts', though, as can be seen in cards like Promise of Bunrei (though 'ghosts' appeared to be basically treated as the Kami of your soul or something). Ghost also tends to be treated as a subtype of Youkai in Touhou lore, though it's not exactly consistent.
    There's also the Incarnation type, I guess, but eeeeh...
    Incarnation is a clever idea, actually, I forgot about that completely. But yeah, the distinction is important here, if only to avoid making the Spirit tribe three or four times the size of the others. When all's said and done, it's a compromise, and not an ideal one, but it'll have to do.

I was mildly surprised that you didn't go for the more obvious Cleric type, but Shaman is the more accurate choice.
    I considered Cleric. Also, Druid, because animism. Then I realized that druids are green-only and also entirely "look how much mana I made". Thus, shaman. As an added bonus, it's still a decently well-supported tribe.

Miko's a cleric, though. Well, cleric monk. Byakuren's just a monk. Functionally, I suspect Miko fits best in human decks tribe-wise, while Byakuren is pretty much just "what have you done to the game?"

Edit: The lack of catfish hate is surprising. I got an unbelievable amount of "you cut Shizuha/Koakuma/whatever for this?" for that one.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2012-05-25 at 02:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman