1. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Magical World War, or What if Voldemort had won?

I'd like to start initial argument off with a question of numbers. How many Wizards are there, and is it enough to conquer the muggle world?

I'm inclined to say no.

I've looked around for a canon figure of how many Wizards live in Britain, and I haven't been able to find one, but we might be able to extrapolate given what we know from the books and movies.

"In an interview with J. K. Rowling, she said there are about one-thousand students attending Hogwarts at any given time. This is supported by the fact, that when Harry sees his father doing his OWL (in the Pensieve in Snape's office), there are over 150 students. Secondly, during a Quidditch match, everybody was supporting Gryffindor except around 200 Slytherins supporting their own. However, if each year had the same number of students as Harry's, with five boys and five girls in each dorm, there would only be two-hundred and eighty students. This means that there are usually at least 70 students per House per year. (Or there are more dormitories that you don't see. The only ones mentioned in the books are the ones that house the students who are actually in the book, eg Harry, Ron, Neville, Hermione. There are likely more than two dorms for each year.)"

So we've got some conflicting figure there. If we go by what we read in the books, we wind up with about 300 students. If we go by what Rowling envisioned or says, we've got 1,000. I think we should go with the larger figure for the sake of this argument.

Now if we assume that each student is an only child and each child comes from a wizarding family (i.e. is not purely muggle born like Hermione), that gives us a very generous figure of 3,000 wizards.

If we assume again (again, being very generous) that there are just as many single wizards, older wizards and otherwise unattached wizards as their are children and parents, that gives us a total of 6,000 wizards in Britain.

I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but trying to err on the side of caution, by maximizing the potential wizard population. We come to a population of about 6,000 men, women, and children. Now, again for the sake of argument and just so that their aren't any doubts, let's double that figure, for an exaggerated total wizarding population of 12,000 wizards.

London alone has a population of over 7 million people. That's 500 times more muggles in one city than the entire Wizarding population of Britain combined. The London Metropolitan Police Force alone has 31,478 standing officers, not including community support and part time officers or support staff.

In a sheer game of numbers, I just don't see any way the wizarding world could ever conquer Muggles.
    Last edited by ChaosLord29; 2012-05-30 at 02:18 PM.
    Favorite Things Mr. Welch can't do during an RPG:
    • My monk's lips must be in sync.
    • Collateral Damage Man is not an appropriate concept for a super hero.
    • No longer allowed to recreate the Death Star Trench Run out of genre.
    • When accepting a challenge for a duel, I must allow the other guy time to find a pistol.
    • Check the door means to listen at it, not put several rounds through it.
    • We will not implement any plan that includes the words "And hope they miss a lot"