1. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Magical World War, or What if Voldemort had won?

Wizards live in communities untraceable by technology or even by maps or scouts.

Wizards can teleport, turn invisible and control people's minds.

This isn't a war. It's a covert take over. The humans never even learn that the wizards exist. The human organizations subverted by the wizards do all the work.

Now if we assume that each student is an only child and each child comes from a wizarding family (i.e. is not purely muggle born like Hermione), that gives us a very generous figure of 3,000 wizards.

If we assume again (again, being very generous) that there are just as many single wizards, older wizards and otherwise unattached wizards as their are children and parents, that gives us a total of 6,000 wizards in Britain.
    That's very floopy maths. Why not start from the assumption that Muggle school sizes and Wizard school sizes are similar with population? Or go from the percentage of population in muggle society that are made up by children age 11-18? My home town high school had a population of 20000 and a high school with 1000(The issue being slightly muddled by crossover from other towns, and their High Schools). The population demographics for England say that 5.4% of the population is between 10-19. You're making the rather wild assumption that Wizard children 11-18 make up 1/6 of the population, and you're not bringing compelling book evidence to back up that fact.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendell
    The assumption here is that Voldemort has the complete 100% co-operation of every wizard alive with no dissent. I think this unlikely. The losing side of the wizarding war will no doubt attempt to assist the muggle governments. These advisors will provide the technical expertise necessary to identify wizards and neutralize them.
    That's a fair enough point. That sort of aid is absolutely needed for the Muggle world to fight, but I think Pendell is right that it would be offered.
    Last edited by Selrahc; 2012-05-30 at 02:33 PM.