"Ahh, the confusion of language. No, I wasn't talking about you absorbing the details of post-Empire culture. I was talking about the likelihood that your, shall we say, loyalties could possibly be swayed. You look to be on the way to becoming friends with some of us Surface Worlders. We both know what happens when a Drow matriarch thinks one of her underlings is likely to stop obeying her orders. Which brings up the question of why you were even allowed on the Surface without someone to keep track of you. Were you a troublemaker back in the Underdark?" One of the instruments he's holding begins glowing. "Ah, I was right! Genuine Nerath transport coffer. Serial number seems to have been corroded right off, that's a pity. Class C, prevents active magical effects and blocks scrying unless it's completely open, good we don't have to worry about that."

---

The boys follow Mertes out the door and down the stairs, as if in a daze. They seem quite unsure as Mertes imparts his wisdom. Finally Goyle speaks up: "We've got our pack, it's Crabbe and me, and my dad's the chief. We look out for each other. That's why you shoved Lady Zimelda away, isn't it?" Crabbe mumbles something inaudible and continues to pay attention to his feet. "Goyle! Don't do something that stupid again!" He good-naturedly shoves Crabbe in the shoulder. "No hard feelings man?"

"S'alright." Crabbe seems to return to reality. "So you want serious ideas huh? How about this--I know someone who goes by the Keep. Is that what you mean?"