Quote Originally Posted by Sean Mirrsen View Post
Ooh, that's interesting. I might want to try that myself sometime.

If I may offer an opinion, this sort of sketchy-outline style works best for characters in action-inclined scenes, because the slightly chaotic lines imply some sort of strain, tension, energy. Your sketch has Hoity Toity in a fairly neutral pose, so while it will still look good, it may not quite achieve its full effect.
A concern I had, but we shall see.

edit: ...aand now you've made me draw Hoity Toity. LOOK WHAT YOU'VE MADE ME DO!
(preferably after you've drawn your own. Not sure how it works for you, but I can't help but be affected by images similar to what I want to draw)
Spoiler
Show

It's not large, but Link.
Ha!

Incidentally, I would still like to see the "talking yourself through the making" thing you've offered to do. It might offer insights I am incapable of grasping on my own.
Let's do it!

Step 1: Sketch

I've made an enormous mental breakthrough with sketching recently, and curiously I put a lot of it down to the brush settings I've got for my sketch pencil. A solid line you obsess over and fiddle with, a sketchy pencil-like line you feel more okay with erasing, drawing over or fiddling with, Resultingly, this step was curiously easy for me.

Step 2: Flats

Square brush + Eraser. Just getting the shapes filled in.

Step 3: Render

Render brush to add shading and depth. It's a relief not having to fuss over the outlines.

Step 4: Solids

Throwing down some regular round brush strokes to add some irregularity.

Step 5: Outlines

Solid black everywhere, yo.

Step 6: Complete

Breaking up the outline with the eraser and cutting the shapes down to size. This part took a surprisingly long time but that's mostly because I hadn't done anything remotely like this before.

Total time: 2.5 hours.