@Movies
I give movies a looooot of leeway on suspension of disbelief. Partly because I walk in going 'it is a movie' and partly because I posess the brain capacity to hold a detail in my head long enough for the movie to explain it or resolve it.
If I am ever confused or lost, I always give the film the 5 minute rule. Maybe something seems odd or not consistant because we are unaware of the rest of the rules or something.
I also utilize the 5 minute rule while watching films because I absolutely HATE people who will ask for an entire character backstory when the opening credits are still going, so I never want to be that guy myself.
It's when the 5 minute rule turns into the 'answered in a quick sentence/handwave at the end of the film' that I get a bit iffy.
If the detail is never addressed, I typically assume it is intended to be a myster or unanswered question. That is why it is unanswered. Usually this sort of thing is sequel bait, but I've often found that the films I enjoy most are the ones which do not answer all the questions, and encourage your imagination to extrapolate, speculate, and either answer the question in your own way, or never answer it at all.

@Comics
I sat through the entire Clone Saga back in the day with Spider-Man. At age 13, I was fully aware at the time that Marvel was producing a comic book with a business model that relied on subscriptions. As such I was pretty sure that unanswered questions were just going to be the name of the game for a rather long time. I learned then to be patient, pay attention for clues, but don't expect answers/resolution for a rather long time.
Then the Clone Saga ended. My patience was rewarded, mostly.
Otherwise, I again give comics a rather large margin for error. It's expected, it's a comic. And the writers of the past seem to have ignored scale on many an occasion. It still happens, but far less now. Either way, the precedant has been set, so I just expect it.