Basically agree with what's been said (++agree on writing your own code for the paladin).

I think the GM and the players should look at this as a source of fun and dramatic tension. The only reason it would be anything otherwise is if one or more players (or the GM) are using it as an excuse to cause problems.

Some thoughts on how I'd handle it. YMMV.

- The Rogue cannot be the kind of person who would steal things from the paladin or other party members. The Paladin cannot be lawful-genocidal ('Thief? Kill!!').

- In character, if/when the Paladin discovers that the rogue sometimes 'acquires' things, the PCs might start an ongoing IC discussion about a code of conduct (the rogue won't steal from the needy/poor, etc).

- Personally, I think an awesome way to broach this is for the Rogue to produce a stolen McGuffin that the party really needed but couldn't get earlier (the gem that gets them into the evil dukes castle, or whatever). This provides some complexity for the Paladin to work with (yea, stealing is wrong, but we were able to save a bunch of lives because of it . . . )