1. - Top - End - #147
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Paladin and rogue in the same group - what's allowed and what's not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    You're assigning assumptions to your hypothetical that you never specified. Did the paladin know that the succubus was an orphanage's benefactor? My comment about the paladin helping the orphanage to the best of his ability is something that he should be inclined to do in anycase. I can agree that if he does know about the orphanage and the succubus's ties to it, then he would be responsible for taking up the responsibility of caring for that orphanage. If he succesfully produces a way for the orphanage to continue, great. If he fails, he fails. He doesn't fall unless he didn't try.
    I'll give you a slightly more comprehensive situation
    A Fiend has been the guardian of a town for centuries. Its honor and compassion is beyond doubt, and it alone is responsible for the protection and lives under its watch. In your mind, is it a good act to murder this creature, knowing full well that doing so will only bring harm to the world around it and destroy a noble being, because of a single line in BoVD that's contradicted by BoED and the existence of non-Evil Fiends?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Okay, my turn for a hypothetical. A paladin is traveling through the woods when he's attacked by a warg. He slays the warg with little effort because he's of reasonably high level. That wargs pups die, because he never returns to the den and either they starved or his mate wasn't there to protect them at a critical moment. His mate, possibly after recovering from her own near starvation, in a fit of rage goes to the nearest town and starts attacking innocent peasants.

Where do you draw the line for the paladin's responsibility? The dead pups? The dead villiagers? If you hold a paladin, or any character for that matter, to every possible consequence of his actions, then every person who's ever done anything has commited an evil act, and did it without even knowing about it in most cases.
    Sure, you need to keep it reasonable. You can't endlessly go down the path of causality. But would it be cool for the Paladin to still murder than Good demon even if he knew his actions would result in the slow death by starvation of hundreds, and the destruction of a Good creature, solely due to that creature's origins?
    Last edited by Menteith; 2012-07-26 at 04:17 PM.