Quote Originally Posted by Throknor View Post
To bring us back closer to the current strip, I'm not sure it has been pointed out explicitly but according to this comic, Suggestion has no somatic component so it doesn't matter that Belkar can't hear. I thought it didn't matter if the target heard any casting but this way it is spelled out, so to speak.

I'm pretty sure the use of spell names when casting is more so the reader knows what is going on rather than representing what others would hear.
From the SRD:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
Verbal (V)
A verbal component is a spoken incantation. To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice. A silence spell or a gag spoils the incantation (and thus the spell). A spellcaster who has been deafened has a 20% chance to spoil any spell with a verbal component that he or she tries to cast.

Somatic (S)
A somatic component is a measured and precise movement of the hand. You must have at least one hand free to provide a somatic component.
Suggestion has a verbal component in it; thus, it does matter - a lot - that Belkar isn't able to hear.