Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
Now, move the the next damn line in my post. What if all fighters were in 5e mechanically forced to be mercenaries? As in, the class abilities made being a mercenary the only possible option.
You keep saying that while not describing it. I think it's very clear in your head what you mean, but not so clear to others. Let me try to help.

Option A) (I think this is what you're getting at)
Imagine that all Fighters had a "training" option that informed their abilities and flavor. Now imagine that the only "training" option currently available was mercenary.

Now, sure, eventually we may have more Training options, but currently we're mechanically forcing every Fighter to be a Mercenary. Even with other options, it restricts certain fluff from being attached to the Fighter - such as *not* being trained, but being self-taught. You've mechanically stated that all Fighters are Trained in some way.

Option B) (the other way I could interpret this)
Imagine that the Fighter class had certain "Mercenary" features hard-wired into it - say, that they gained xp for gp granted for paid contracts. You've now mechanically hard-wired the class into acting in a mercenary-like way.

------------------

Are either of these close?