Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
I disagree.

Even if specialties had some sort of set bonus (i.e. a bonus that selecting the same feat package would not carry) the impact of splatbooks and even emerging play would make even "the best" feat packages sub-optimal over time.

No reason to intentionally weaken something that is going to be weaker a month after the game is released, if not sooner.
And in the unlikely event that they DON'T introduce stuff that's more powerful, I still think your advice to newbies should be GOOD ADVICE!

The only thing deliberately bad advice teaches is that it teaches people not to trust your advice.

Let the experienced players build the quirky characters. Give newbies something simple that WORKS. If the optimized build is complicated to run then go for simple over complex in the examples. But give the BEST simple builds you can.

Of course the playtest packet's pregen NPCs don't even follow the game rules! Bows with no dex bonus to damage (on an archer!) finesse weapons with attacks based on a low strength value rather than a better dex value. Suggested sorcerer equipment that includes a weapon the sorcerer isn't proficient with. Clerics not proficient with staffs.

So I really don't think these people are going to come up with specialties that are any good. Most of their specialties won't be DELIBERATELY broken bad, they'll do that by accident.

DougL