1. - Top - End - #753
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5th Editon Discussion: 6th thread and counting

The benefit derived from a class should be proportionate to your level investment in it whenever possible.
    I would kind of like to see them use specialties and feats as the only real means of "multi classing". So you want to be a wizard that can mix it up occasionally, great, take some of the fighter specialties and feats, maybe even make some that can grant you some AC or ATK bonuses if you're below X, but no dipping into the fighter or barbarian class itself. Basically mechanically enforcing the idea that sure you can multi class, but you'll never be as good as the real thing, and its more than just an equal division of your attention.

Alternatively, I suppose you could build a system where by the difference between your highest level class and your lowest level class becomes a modifier to all checks, skills and powers associated with ANY of your lower level classes.

My point is Defender and Arcane Dabbler should be equally viable for both Fighters and Wizards to take. I agree with you that it's impossible without dramatically changing the system as they currently have it, but it has nothing to do with balance.
    Why should Defender and Arcane dabbler have the same viability for different classes though? I've never understood what is so wrong with the idea that some classes just won't or can't be as good as others at certain things. It's no different than real life. No matter how many laps I swim, I'll never compete in the olympics, it's just not in my class. That doesn't mean that swimming in the pool is useless to me, or that I don't derive a benefit from it, but certainly a more athletic person will benefit more. There's nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by 1337 b4k4; 2012-09-05 at 11:58 AM.