View Single Post

Thread: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

1. - Top - End - #1367
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: LGBTAitP 26: No Time For Snappy Titles

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    Yeah that especially sucks when you like and prefer intelligent partners. I have tried dating less academically inclined women and quite frankly eventually it becomes quite frustrating not being able to discuss scientific things that interest you without this vapid look of boredom appearing on your partners face.
    Spoiler
    Show

Or the alternative where they reject it so much that they take a man or in some cases anyone else equaling or exceeding them as an insult while simultaneously viewing anyone less intelligent or academically gifted as they are as morally inferior.

Nature and Nurture have a lot to answer for with some people.

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    This is actually a fairly common phenomenon, where people, especially academically-talented girls, underplay their intelligence in school when they realise they're taking flak for it. I've seen it happen and heard about it a lot. Girls are basically told by culture/media that they're cuter when they're unthreatening and not very smart, and that no one likes dowdy, snappy intelligent women, like ugly female scientists. It makes me angry.
    Spoiler
    Show

It's rather a shame that it harms some people while leaving the amount of irascibility and mean-spiritedness in the general female population untouched. That way I could at least wish that more was made of telling boys to not go out of their way to be jerks.

Though it is kind of amusing that there actually is a definition for snappy that actually would contradict the dowdy part of that.

Hmm. Actually, come to think of it, I can't remember ever seeing ugly female scientists in visual media. ...Or really reading about them except in obviously partisan screeds. The worst I can remember is women with their hair done up in a silly, out-dated manner.

Noparlpf: Well, hopefully it's just a phase. I hear a lot made out of people generally dipping into total reprehensibility during middle school and then realizing what ponces they are to some extent to get on with high school's varieties of silliness.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2012-09-22 at 07:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide